• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legend of the Chained Oak film

Tom

TS Member
For those who are not familiar, a film based on the chained oak legend (also Hex's storyline basis) has been planned for a number of years now.

After much uncertainty over whether it would happen or not, I have been in touch with the man behind it and I understand that it is due to be released in 2013, with filming taking place this year.

http://www.legendofthechainedoakmovie.co.uk/

I'd almost forgotten about this! Good to hear that it should be going ahead, I shall definitely try and see it if I can when it comes out.

:)

I got in touch with Dean Maynard quite a while ago about this. It's been a very long project, seems they've come ahead with problem after problem. But I'm glad it is finally going ahead, I know how much of a pain it's been for them to get the project off the ground.

siralgenon said:
Will this film be in the cinemas then? Or is it only a small release type thing?

Think it'll be a small release, doubt there will be the budget to distribute it nationwide to cinemas unless a large studio picks it up.

When I spoke to Dean he said the aim was to get it shown in cinemas nationwide. Not sure if that is the case now?

Yes, this film is definitely going to be completed and distributed nationwide (!)

y98H0.gif

It has been in planning since 2009, and Dean has received a lot of help to create it... so you never know. :p

If its only been planned since 2009, it's still showing good progress. As an Alton fan girl, I'll have to make it a mission of mine to see this, though would it be following the same story as the legend/ride? Or would any liberties be taken?

So far as been said, there's been very little on the story and what direction (Or rather, tale) they've taken. It would be a guess to assume they're sticking to the legend given by Alton Towers already and have evolved the story from that.

Should probably repost in here that I did get a reply from Dean saying that filming would be completed in the autumn as some "autumnal shots" are required for certain scenes.

Looking good, but I do think they should get Alton on the bandwagon to promote it and premiere it a few months before release. As since it's a independent film, criticism is taken with a full-heart. From boards to Hex merchandise, I do hope we can get the film some promotion. I'm sure it will be sold in the Towers regardless anyway.

It's finally time for me, PTom and Georgia to finally recite a new Hex related story!

Stelios said:
Looking good, but I do think they should get Alton on the bandwagon to promote it and premiere it a few months before release. As since it's a independent film, criticism is taken with a full-heart. From boards to Hex merchandise, I do hope we can get the film some promotion. I'm sure it will be sold in the Towers regardless anyway.

It's finally time for me, PTom and Georgia to finally recite a new Hex related story!

Our new Hex story will be hard to beat. :D

Poison Tom 96 said:
Stelios said:

Our new Hex story will be hard to beat. :D

Pun intended?

Or is that too immature of me for General Discussion?

I was just wondering if I've missed this film being realised ??

No, it's possibly been suspended again. I'll try to find out more.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

They've probably decided that there wasn't enough substance for a feature length film, or even that it would be too hard to shoot to an appropriate standard with a relatively low budget for such a film. This project, if followed through, will always be a relatively low-budget affair, but will have a ready, but relatively small audience. I'd think that it's ideal for some of the talented people on this site to get together and make something of the legend in video form.

Just before you think this film is well and truly dead, a new article appears!

thisisstaffordshire.co.uk said:
Author explores sinister legend of oak tree
By Richard Ault

A FAMOUS Staffordshire legend has been re-worked for the big screen.

Filming for The Legend of the Chained Oak took place over the weekend, despite a few spooky happenings and a car accident which ruled out the lead actress as she was en-route to the location.

For the film, author Dan Weatherer, of Meir Park, dreamed up his own version of the legend of the famous chained oak tree, at Oakamoor.
According to folklore, the Earl of Shrewsbury was cursed by an elderly woman he refused to help. She told him a member of his family would die every time a branch fell from the tree.

After a family member mysteriously died, he ordered the branches of the tree to be chained together in the version of the story which is retold as part of the Alton Towers ride 'Hex'.

But Dan's tale comes up with a more sinister explanation for the chaining of the oak.

The 33-year-old, who took up writing after being made redundant from NPower earlier this year, said: "I decided to concentrate on writing and this was the first thing I wrote.

"The 'Hex' version of the story was debunked in 2007, when a branch last fell from the tree and no member of the earl's family died. I came up with a more sinister explanation of why the oak was chained."

In Dan's version, he uncovers an 18th century journal which reveals the 'real' story, which tells of dark arts and a girl tethered to the tree accused of witchcraft.

Dan – who has had eight short stories published since he took redundancy – teamed up with Durham filmmaker Dean Maynard. Dan, married to Jenni, aged 28, and dad to three-year-old Bethany, said: "I have been working on it since March, pulling in actors and extras who are all local talent.

"We did virtually all the filming over the weekend. We did have a few strange happenings during filming – people seeing strange shadows and hearing things.

"Then on her way to film her first scenes, the actress who was going to play the lead role was involved in a car accident and one of the crew had to step in as a last minute replacement.
"Now we are going to premier it around Staffordshire and take it to film festivals to drum up some backing."

Dean, aged 41, said: "I couldn't believe we were actually filming. This project has had so many false starts. In the past we had funding taken away and people have pulled out.

"Everyone in the village was really supportive."

Link

Interestingly it's noted that the film will not be distributed nationwide, as stated a few years back when the film was being developed. I'd guess this is due to budgetary reasons. It's been on and off since 2006!

I did a little bit of digging too and it seems everyone missed this out, a teaser trailer for the film!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJGQiUtAzM#ws

Ohh and an updated website for the film: legendofthechainedoakmovie.co.uk

Well...

I'm disappointed they have interpreted it as a horror story rather than a dark tragedy. However if they are creating a totally new story unconnected to Alton Towers then it could work... although then I'm less interested.

Can I be the first person to say that trailer looks rubbish? :p

I can understand the difficulty in getting a film project like this going, so well done for the effort. As a low budget film, this could be very interesting...