• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

Sad news about Viking. I know it's not great but I remember how excited I was to ride it when it opened - I would've been seven or eight and coming back to the park once a year to try out the new attractions.

Hope they have something in mind for that patch of land.

I always thought it was strange to build a rapids ride on such a steep hill. The gradient of it meant that, when running at full pressure, there were some bits where you really got bashed and thrown around. I’m guessing they toned things down in more recent years?

Not so much toned down, more that once all the water effects were turned off there was very little chance of getting wet.
The rides short length and hilltop location always made it one of the wilder rapids in the UK.

I also remember when the ride was being built. It looked to have so much potential. It's still one of my biggest "what if" rides, in which I like to imagine how good it could have been if the themeing had been completely immerseive.

It's going to be sad to see the Vikings area go. I always thought it was fitting for LEGOLAND (with LEGO being Danish). A shame it was a short lived theme that LEGO never properly revisited. Especially given the popularity of How to Train your Dragon.
Speaking of Dragons the ride contains some of the best models in the park. Admittedly they are showing their age now (especially compared to those In Mythica), but the giant sea snake is still one of my favourites.

I’ve never actually ridden these rapids as it’s always either had a really long queue or more often than not it’s been closed on most of my visits. Doesn’t seem like I’ve missed an awful lot though from what’s being said. It’ll be interesting to see what eventually takes its place.

Could be this, but could it also be staffing issues? A lot of additional spotters were added over the last couple of years, presumably in response to the HSE report. It seemed extremely staff heavy…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This will certainly have played a role in the decision. The HSE will be delighted with the news too, they are desperate to eradicate rapids rides from the UK.

The HSE will be delighted with the news too, they are desperate to eradicate rapids rides from the UK.

I don't think they are but I do think they want them run more like swimming pools with spotters and similar, which then puts the cost of running the ride too high.

Wasn't the ride always a bit of a nightmare from a safety standpoint? Especially the way boats tended to crash into each other on the station platform?

Can't say I'll miss it. Did it once I think and never again.

Wasn't the ride always a bit of a nightmare from a safety standpoint? Especially the way boats tended to crash into each other on the station platform?

Can't say I'll miss it. Did it once I think and never again.
Don't believe they ever crashed at the station, but it was certainly a fair bit rougher around the course than others

I think the main decisions in removing this are the large amounts of downtime it has had in the last 3 to 4 years and the fact the ride looks extremely ugly. You buy cheap crap. You get cheap crap. Exactly what this is hardware wise.

Running costs no doubt played a part but I do not think that was the primary decision.

I think it is unfair to say H&S want these removed though. People lack common sense in 2023, this is a ride more than any at a theme park where you NEED common sense, else you will end up in danger. People do not have it, so they have to be babysat. It is as simple as that.

I’ve never actually ridden these rapids as it’s always either had a really long queue or more often than not it’s been closed on most of my visits. Doesn’t seem like I’ve missed an awful lot though from what’s being said. It’ll be interesting to see what eventually takes its place.

It hasn't been open on any visit I've ever made!! 🤣 Likely to forever be a missed cred.

LLWcoaster.png
The established Ninjago land is pretty tight, however there's definitely space to integrate a coaster entrance into the land without too much disruption (The pink square is where I'd convert some of the extended Ninjago queue into an exit shop). If they take advantage of the existing terrain work, they could end up with a really exciting family wood coaster. I say wood, as not only is that still fairly unique for the south of the UK, it would also do a lot to mask the Ninjago dark ride warehouse.

Exciting times for LLW !

What's going on with the Zierer Family Boomerangs? I've not heard anything/seen any form of construction for them yet and RCDB doesn't appear to have them listed either.

LLWcoaster.png
The established Ninjago land is pretty tight, however there's definitely space to integrate a coaster entrance into the land without too much disruption (The pink square is where I'd convert some of the extended Ninjago queue into an exit shop). If they take advantage of the existing terrain work, they could end up with a really exciting family wood coaster. I say wood, as not only is that still fairly unique for the south of the UK, it would also do a lot to mask the Ninjago dark ride warehouse.

Exciting times for LLW !
Hah this is very impressive!

The pink area is actually part of the main Ninjago queue, rather than an extension, so I don't think it would be ideal to reuse it as an exit shop. But otherwise, I do love the concept...

What's going on with the Zierer Family Boomerangs? I've not heard anything/seen any form of construction for them yet and RCDB doesn't appear to have them listed either.
Construction well under way, with lots of earthworks, piling and footers being installed. TPG has some decent photos:

1693402679915.png

1693402699715.png

I find it purely ironic that Lego are releasing a substantial new Vikings set when Viking River Splash is at the brink of closing.

Then again, I guess the Billund theme park (for now) is still operating their Viking-themed rapids. Which is theoretically better overall.