• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lightwater Valley

They got the permission for some though didn't they?
Thought they were allowed a first build with amenities, about two dozen chalet style huts, close to the pub in the wood, but it never got started.

Correct. LWV have been trying to build a holiday village for years.

A few years back detailed plans were submitted, permission was granted and it was even advertised online with (I think) a confirmed opening date.

Yet now everything has gone quiet and I can only assume that this was an issue with funding. In all fairness though, the area around Pub in the Wood received pretty low footfall from what I could see and it made far more sense to re-locate the rides to the busier main section of the park, holiday village or no holiday village.

There was no good reason to close the pub in the wood, it was a wonderful establishment within the park.
Used to meet tyke mates with their kids.
Beer.
Froghopper.
Beer.
Froghopper.
Beer.
Drunken dodgems.
Beer.

Then you can ride t'Ultimate without feeling any pain at all.
Then they ruined the park by stopping the beer and scrapping the dodgems...for Angry Bloody Birds.

At a guess, I’d imagine that less than 5% of the park’s customers set foot in that pub, let alone used it. Always looked empty whenever I walked past.

Can only imagine binning the retail leisure that was always empty saved them loads in staffing.
School trips for tykes have always been their main meal ticket.

Those accounts are for the year ended February 2019. So that effectively covers the 2018 season.

I suspect the set of accounts that cover the 2019 season will be a difference picture. But they won’t be filed for another 9 months or so.

This isolation lark might prove to be quite fruitful in terms of me getting things uploaded to the site!

TheCarousel_LightwaterValleyLiterature_1982_1.jpg

TheCarousel_LightwaterValleyLiterature_1982_2.jpg

1982, by the way.

Last edited:
Loved the Fort William play area before they destroyed it with Bat Flyer at least

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Great pics, Rick. Mini motorbikes surrounded by hay bales, those were the days. I used to love the big play fort at Dingoland, I bet it’s not there anymore, probably a H&S nightmare

Great pics, Rick. Mini motorbikes surrounded by hay bales, those were the days. I used to love the big play fort at Dingoland, I bet it’s not there anymore, probably a H&S nightmare
There not, in fact the only thing I recognise from that flyer is the train.

Do any of those slides still exist I wonder? I last saw one at Wonderland maybe 18 years ago? Wicked fun but seemed like it could be lethal.

In fact, I think it was an incident on that slide that lead to Wonderland going bust and becoming Wheelgate.

Wonderland insisted that you went down in a sack from what I remember, and had a bored member of staff preventing more than one person going on at a time. Doesn't seem like Lightwater bothered with either of those things.

I think maybe Milky Way has a similar looking slide.

A lot more terrifying to me than the kid who just went straight over. This is what getting old feels like.

@WillPS The Flamingo Land one (Dead Man's Drop, I think) lasted until the mid 2000s, or so. Demon Drop was closed at Flambards for a while, but it has seemingly returned - not sure if it has been modified, or not. Milky Way has something quite similar, I think?