• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lightwater Valley

I hope that the holiday village is still going ahead as planned in spite of this and there won't be some sort of knee-jerk pulling of it due to these more testing times. I think they will have done better this year, but since we only find out a year later, I guess we will have to wait.

I've always thought their blatant "we're struggling, we're making losses, we need these units" are a way of ensuring planning permission for the holiday village.

500k isn't a bad a loss, depending on how they do their finances. Remember they put in Angry Birds last year at a considerable sum so they probably include that (if merlin did that with their figures, they'd make a heavy loss on every high investment year).

That's a good point - they cited their financial troubles and the knock-on effect on the local economy as a reason why the holiday village should be approved.

Lightwater Valley's marketin is very poor and I'm sure that has something to do with this big loss.

Whilst their efforts may appeal particularly to enthusiasts (Facebook updates about rides, blogs, podcasts, ultimate track walks, numerous videos and the various other things they've done over the past few years), this isn't what the public want.

I also noticed that a key member of LWV's Marketing team spent alot of time last year creating new themed music for the rides, yet I couldn't see a single leaflet for the park anywhere in Ripon, Harrogate or surrounding areas yet Flamingo Land ones were everywhere. They need to outreach to their community more instead of spending so much time making themed queue line music and youtube videos to apeal to enthusiasts. That's my opinion anyway.

I have to say living relatively close to light water we never see any marketing here. Definitely think they need to address their regional exposure .

Enter Valhalla said:
Lightwater Valley's marketin is very poor and I'm sure that has something to do with this big loss.

Whilst their efforts may appeal particularly to enthusiasts (Facebook updates about rides, blogs, podcasts, ultimate track walks, numerous videos and the various other things they've done over the past few years), this isn't what the public want.

I also noticed that a key member of LWV's Marketing team spent alot of time last year creating new themed music for the rides, yet I couldn't see a single leaflet for the park anywhere in Ripon, Harrogate or surrounding areas yet Flamingo Land ones were everywhere. They need to outreach to their community more instead of spending so much time making themed queue line music and youtube videos to apeal to enthusiasts. That's my opinion anyway.

I disagree about their marketing being poor to be quite honest, if it wasn't for their efforts with getting the park's name out there last year, we'd have never bothered doing a PBE event at the place, as it turns out we were all impressed with the park and the way they ran the place, so no complaints from us.

I rarely see LWV off my Facebook news feed tbh.

As for the music comment that someone has made, the music which was put together by a member of the marketing team was done in their own time, not in work's time.

Enter Valhalla said:

Hi Valhalla,

I am not sure what qualifications you have in marketing but let me counter you on a few points you raise there.

(1) A member of the LWV team did spend hours of their own time improving the theme park by creating new music. This music, created in house by a team of two will save the park tens of thousands of pounds each year on music licensing. While not groundbreaking or earth shattering, this investment of PERSONAL time shows the love that these individuals have for the park and the business. By creating new soundtracks, the park can build upon better themes for the future, create excitement in guests and help make things feel a little more magical.

Can you imagine Alton playing pop music round every corner? While this works at Blackpool, it wouldn’t work at Alton and it didn’t work at Lightwater Valley. Good move I say.

(2) "Facebook updates about rides, blogs, podcasts, videos and other various things are not what the public want..."

Have you not noticed how they personally respond to EVERY post they get? Have you not observed the thousands of people who take part in their competitions? This is something Merlin does not do as well. Flamingo Land doesn’t bother to reply to people who write on their page, let alone take the time to reply to EVERY Trip Adviser comment.

Lightwater Valley's Facebook Page has grown exceptionally quickly in a very short space of time. It’s rarely not in my newsfeed. At present, 69,000 follow the page and regularly engage with it. Compare this to the Merlin run Chessington Page of 79,000, it is quite clear Lightwater Valley will soon over take it.

This means Lightwater will be marketing to a large fan base who actively and regularly engage with all the content therein. Instead of just putting sales messages out there, which Lightwaters competitors often do, their "voice" is enthusiastic, engaging and speaks to as wide an audience as possible.

Why do they bother with status updates about rides? Because a theme park has rides in it. It's content. Why do they bother with blogs? Because thousands of people read blogs, in fact if you check the hit counter at the bottom of the blog page you will see how many people read them. Why do they bother with YouTube? Because EVERY good marketing team and EVERY good business understands the value of video advertising. I just checked, they're close to getting nearly 1,000,000 views for their channel. Most of the ride pages on the website have a video. All of this builds a flavour for the park and SELLS it to people who visit. Just look at this one example… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WURCPvXV80Y#ws - that was uploaded in December. It’s had nearly 3,000 watch it in the off season. That’s pretty good going.

Do you follow them on Twitter? They’re always posting, always engaging and it’s personal! They reply to everyone who sends a message to @LightwaterV

Content is king for marketers, and for a medium sized business, they’ve got all their online activity covered. Can it be improved? Hell yes it can. Are they on the right path? Yes, I do believe they are. What I want to see is more competitions, newer videos (Some of the older ones are not so good) and more special features.

(3) Local advertising

I’ll preface by saying I am also a local resident to Ripon, where Lightwater is located.

Do you visit your local tourist information centre? You’ll find all the latest leaflets inside. The bus stops in the city centre have posters up promoting the park. If you tune in to Stray FM (The local radio station) you’ll find Lightwater is ALWAYS on it. In fact, you will find a member of the LWV marketing team (Simon) is a regular contributor to local radio, often filling in a guest spot as a presenter.

Lightwater punches well above their weight with their TV advertising and PR. Having pioneered the Yorkshires Magnificent Attractions Group and established the www.DiscoverRipon.org and www.VisitHarrogate.co.uk as a way of making their budgets go further.

You should also know, as a local member of the Ripon community, the same member of their marketing team was a critical player in getting Ripon the new cinema and sits on the tourism board, promoting the local area and helping local businesses. All of this is supported and fully endorsed by Lightwater Valley.

Lightwater Valley simply does not have the budget to advertise on a national level. They do however market considerably north of the park and into Scotland where there is much less competition. They’ve described before that, if you were to look at a map, draw a circle around the park within 1.5 hours driving distance you'll see they market well within that area.

I am sure they’d love to go beyond that. The park is certainly good enough to do so, it’s just a question of money. Advertising is VERY expensive. That’s probably why they’re so hot on the mark with their social media.

Final word. Don't we, as enthusiasts, want a theme park that engages with us, talks to us and listens to us? I know some members of the marketing team at Lightwater would be very hurt if they read some of these offhand comments. While speculating and suggesting ideas is good and constructive criticism should always be encouraged, blanket statements that say "Lightwater Valley's marketin is very poor" are very unhelpful.

I am sure everyone here wants the park to be successful. Throw your support behind the place and the people who work there. I know that the staff at the park would very much appreciate it.

I love Alton and greatly enjoy the parks in their lineup… But Merlin is essentially an entertainments monopoly. We need to throw our support behind places like Lightwater, Blackpool, Oakwood, Pleasurewood Hills and others. Small independent places do not have the huge pots of money Merlin has, yet I think you’ll find they always have a bigger heart.

Thanks.

Enter Valhalla said:
this isn't what the public want.

[citation needed] ;)

Don't see the problem with online marketing? It near enough costs nothing (to very little) to do and it can be very engaging with those who follow social media. Given we're currently in a media heavy world it's great to see parks such as LWV taking advantage of it.

I would love to see this park receive a huge boost in investment; for me it represents the only non-monopolised park in the UK that is capable of posing a genuine competitive threat towards Merlin. I have a lot of trust that the park is doing the right thing.

I've not been to LWV since 2010 - I just don't feel there's any reason to.

Flamingoland have added 3 coasters since 2010 and I have felt no need to go there either...

Thanks Wonderland for your reply to my initial post regarding LWV's marketing. You do make some very good points which I had not considered. However, I still believe that LWV's marketing could do more to get local people and local tourists in to the park which, at the moment, I think are groups which they are missing out on.

I don't think anything I said was offhand in any way. In answer to your question I went into the tourist information centre in Harrogate mid season- no leaflets. In Ripon I visited several pubs and a hotel and saw big leaflet stands but nothing from LWV. Now I have no marketing knowledge or qualifications, but I would say that somethign has gone wrong here. I take back the rather wide generalisation which I made describing their Marketing as "very poor as alot of what they do, as you pointed out, has been a big success. I'm definitely very keen on the way in which they personally reply to comments on Facebook and Trip Advisor, but to have no leaflets (or very few anyway) in two of the largest places most local to the park is something which nobody can agree is good going, particularly as Flamingo Land ones were everywhere.

And yes, it's great to have things which appeal to enthusiasts such as Facebook posts about rides, podcasts with Robert Stavely etc. but I would also point out that enthusiasts, whether you like to admit it or not, probably make up less than 5% of the park's potential visitors. Competitions etc, are great so it's good to see them doing this. I guess my main complaint was the lack of publicity locally.

Lightwater ahve announced through Facebook that The Ultimate is getting a repaint...too pink!
Lightwater Valley's Facebook Page said:
We're delighted too announce that in celebration of its 23rd birthday, The Ultimate iwll be getting a repaint. Thanks too everyone who voted, the winning colour (witht over 37% of the vote) is pink!
The new colour iwll be unveiled this Saturday!
Seriously?! :eek:

NB: Yes I've just noticed the sneaky change of date. D'oh, they got me good! :D

Towers freak said:
Lightwater ahve announced through Facebook that The Ultimate is getting a repaint...too pink!
Lightwater Valley's Facebook Page said:
We're delighted too announce that in celebration of its 23rd birthday, The Ultimate iwll be getting a repaint. Thanks too everyone who voted, the winning colour (witht over 37% of the vote) is pink!
The new colour iwll be unveiled this Saturday!
Seriously?! :eek:

I think todays date might have something too do with it ;)

What do you mean April fools...

Shot0389.jpg

Glad to see they liked our idea :D

Has anyone else noticed that on facebook, Lightwater have stopped refering to themselves as a theme park? They now call themselves "The Lightwater Fairground".

While the accuracy of this is debatable (I wouldn't call it a theme park, but it's certainly an amusement park), I'm not sure this gives the kind of impression that will attract guests.

They are only referring to part of the park. The posts in question advertise the car park being used for the Tour de France. The theme park will be closed all day because of road closures but if you choose to park at Lightwater and watch the race there for £10 you can use the fairground and Angry Birds play area.

That's what the website says anyway :)

Ah, right. I didn't know they called the front (read: crap) part of the park that. Still seems like a bad choice of name to me though.

Agreed. It's definitely confusing but oh well... I'm sure plenty will turn up anyway!