• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Re: Liseberg 2014: Project Helix

Not sure if this has been posted, but I found a Animation of the POV.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3QG3gMikVc&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Re: Liseberg 2014: Project Helix Mack Megacoaster

Looks like that original animation is out of date now, as Screamscape has reported that some changes to the layout of this coaster have been made:

Liseberg reports there have been some changes to the Projekt Helix layout not seen in the pervious animation. The very start of the ride will change to have a steeper drop out of the station that will rise up and into a corkscrew instead of a small hill, increasing the number of inversions to 7. (See first video below)
After the second launch section the airtime hill followed by a corkscrew has been replaced by a 40 meter inversion they are calling an “inverted top hat” inversion, which will be followed by an airtime hill instead of the corkscrew. You can see an example of this change in the second video below
Projekt Helix - improved features at the start

Helix Top Hat.mp4

Firstly, the "inverted top-hat" is just really a mix between a corkscrew and a zero-G roll, and is nothing like a top-hat.

Secondly, the corkscrew after the drop out of the station looks really out of place to me, and shouldn't be there. Although that could just be me.

Finally, I like that hill after the "inverted top-hat". Makes a change from the rest- which are twisted Intamin style hills- and looks like it'll have some killer air-time.

The coaster looks great, although I fear that it has too much length, and tries to fit too much into one coaster.

The first two inversions, particularly the first look like they're being taken at a very slow speed. Looks like it wouldn't take much for it to stall upside down on the "inverted top hat" bit.

It'd be better to make that first corkscrew more like a Jojo roll (hate that name)...

chsuo9s2000mmbo1ljas62.jpg

...or make it even steaper and create a downward barrel-roll...

ig16lonp611l4001dcng3b.jpg

Some concept art from the Project Helix Blog:

helix-overview-new2013.jpg

Following intensive work during the fall is the final banlayouten finished. Liseberg, together with the supplier MACK worked with control measurements in the park and calculations to ensure that all parts of the track ends up in exactly the right place on the mountain.

Some of the parts have been particularly difficult to calculate, such as the passage of the escalator that goes up to Liseberg Tower and the southern turning point on the track. It will be exciting to see how this turning point is the reality of where Helix passes very close to both FlumeRide and Liseberg funicular. An experience worth the wait!

Looking gooood! :p

Now that is one serious looking coaster

From Screamscape today:

2014 - PROJEKT HELIX - (2/11/13) This is in regards those rumored layout changes mentioned back in November. After the second launch, the airtime hill and corkscrew inversion as seen in the animated POV video have been replaced by a tall new inversion, described as an Inverted Top Hat that will be followed by an airtime hill. This has been done to ensure that the train has the momentum to make it back to the station. In the case of a miss-fire on the launch, the train would simply rollback into the launch position for another attempt. You can see this added to left side of the layout in this picture.

Unfortunately the link at the end went a page without any photos, so I had a look and I assume they were on about these from the Projekt Helix website:

helix_121009_atmosfear_35.jpg

helix_121009_kurva_35.jpg

helix_121009_loop_35.jpg

helix_121009_oversikt_35.jpg

helix_121009_oversikt_dag_35.jpg

helix_121009_oversikt_norr_35.jpg

helix_121009_pretzel_35.jpg

helix_121009_roll_tornet_35.jpg

helix_121009_train_2_35.jpg

helix_121009_train_35.jpg

helix_121009_train_3_35.jpg

helix_121009_twist_35.jpg

helix_121009_uppswinget_35.jpg

helix_121009_uppswinget_train_35.jpg

This looks stunning! ;D

I think a trip to Sweden is in order for 2014! ;D

BigAl said:
This looks stunning! ;D

Great find Al, this is looking an absolute beast!!

Is this a big park? What does it compare to in the UK?? It makes a mockery of many an instillation over here by the looks of that, and that includes our major parks!

If you tell me this is a small park, I may well not believe you!

TheMan said:
Is this a big park? What does it compare to in the UK?? It makes a mockery of many an instillation over here by the looks of that, and that includes our major parks!

If you tell me this is a small park, I may well not believe you!

It's a very small park, most of the rides are very compact due to the lack of space.

BigAl said:
...it is a small theme park, yes. :p It's the 7th most visited theme park in Europe though. Alton Towers is in 9th place. You can see more about European theme park visitor numbers here.

Thanks Al, and Ted btw.

That is, a bit wtf? Do they have less competition or something, they hardly seem to have a mass of high quality coasters in their repertoire. It seems though, that when they decide to do something, they do exceptionally well? I will research this place more I think! Never really paid it much attention (well I kinda remember AtmosFear(?) and thinking EH??!).

TheMan said:
BigAl said:
...it is a small theme park, yes. :p It's the 7th most visited theme park in Europe though. Alton Towers is in 9th place. You can see more about European theme park visitor numbers here.

Thanks Al, and Ted btw.

That is, a bit wtf? Do they have less competition or something, they hardly seem to have a mass of high quality coasters in their repertoire. It seems though, that when they decide to do something, they do exceptionally well? I will research this place more I think! Never really paid it much attention (well I kinda remember AtmosFear(?) and thinking EH??!).

They're kind of like the BPB of Sweden except they actually have the money to build new stuff and seem to prefer building rides intended for over 7's. They're obviously also the most notable park in Sweden and are conveniently placed fairly close to Denmark, where a lot of their visitors also come from.

Mack - just keep getting better and better!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Green trains on a green track (same shade of green as well) seems an odd choice.

Sam said:
Green trains on a green track (same shade of green as well) seems an odd choice.

Green grass, green trees, green track, green cars.

Sometimes, it just works.

Just loaded Faffbook up and spotted that AstroDan had shared an image from Mack Rides of the new Project Helix trains:

9987_10151540673348493_1260187544_n.jpg

That is NICE! :p

TheMan said:
Thanks Al, and Ted btw.

Liseberg isn't just a park, it's a bit of a national institution in Sweden. It's known for its rich history and as well as being a theme park has earned a reputation as a music venue where some of the biggest names of the 20th century have played.

As far as coasters go, Liseberg has Balder which has been voted the best wooden coaster in the world a few times in the Mitch Hawker poll and still consistently finishes in the top ten. I personally think it's the best coaster in Europe. They also have Lisebergbanan which is a sprawling Schwarzkopf designed family classic. And soon they will have Project Helix!

Overall, Liseberg is a really atmospheric, charming place to be and I can see why it's so popular.

As a big fan of Mack, I am insanely excited about this and await its construction!

:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2