• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Re: Liseberg 2014: Project Helix Mack Megacoaster

The first video Liseberg released for Helix showed the same zero car bodyshell design that Blue Fire has. Although in a way it's good to see that this will be getting custom shells, I can't help but think that's a really, really ugly shape compared to BluFi's more generic design.

Minor update from andrus on CF - the trains will not have BluFi-esque heart rate monitors and the zero-card will have some LED lights installed within it. :)

Not Helix related but apparently Liseberg has got itself into a bit of trouble in Sweden with its new advertising campaign. It's made up of a series of posters featuring children who are crying because they're going to Crete/ Italy/ Majorca (three of the most popular tourist destinations for Sweden) for their holidays rather than Liseberg.

Now this has caused massive controversy in Sweden and there are reports of death threats being sent to the park and employees being threatened. Greece aren't too happy about it either labeling it a smear campaign and generally getting angry about it.

I personally don't think it's that bad at all and it makes me question Sweden's sense of humor. It could be interpreted as a parody of a charity advert which is perhaps a little edgy but that's been done here before without a fuss and I don't think it was intended that way anyway.

I think there's a sense in Sweden that it's a xenophobic campaign but it doesn't directly attack the countries or their people. The locations featured are just a placeholder for "popular holiday destination".

No one in their right mind is actually going to look at a poster and say "Well, we'd better cancel our holiday plans for Crete, we're going to Liseberg instead or else our children will cry." It's clearly tongue-in-cheek and doesn't aim to prevent people from visiting Crete.

I think it says a lot that it's only Greece that is making noise about this. They're pretty reliant upon their tourism industry right now and I think that the Greek tourist board may be using their statements about this "controversial" campaign as a publicity vehicle in Sweden.

I honestly think that if this campaign was used in the UK, hardly anyone would bat an eyelid.

http://www.expressen.se/gt/har-ar-kritiken-mot-lisebergs-reklam/

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2013/04/24/swedish-liseberg-smear-campaign-dont-send-your-kids-to-crete-provocative-or-stupid/

LOL. Who in their right mind would go to Greece right now?

If I was 12 and was told I was going to Greece in summer, I wouldn't just be crying, I'd be running away in the middle of the night.

I've never once been by the pool thinking "You know what would make this holiday better? Riots, austerity and a fascist political group gaining power."

How silly of Liseberg to try and create an original, entertaining and to some degree truthful marketing campaign. I'll certainly be taking my kids to chaotic European states that are teetering on social meltdown instead.

A big thumbs up to all the Swedish who are pointing out this shambles, boycotting the park is sure to assist their economy no end!

Screamscape brings us some excellent news for Liseberg. :)

Screamscape said:
Park News - (6/11/13) The local news reports that Liseberg has now bought the former Saab transmission factory building that lies behind their Balder coaster. No concrete plans for the site have been created yet, but the expansion will give the park room to grow for years to come.

After Project Helix, I can't wait to see where this innovative little park go next! :D

Good. The park looks very cramped so a little space will help a lot!

:)

Liseberg 2014: Project Helix Mack Megacoaster

It's a lot bigger than it looks. They do need more space though, but what they've done with the area they do have is amazing. I do think they should build more on the hill. So much land unused there.

Ooh interesting! Very cramped park so this is what is needed. I'm not sure how big it exactly is so it would be interesting to see what gets built there!

The area in blue works out at around 50 000 square metres as specified in this article. I left out the one building as I believe it's where Liseberg's offices are located. That doesn't necessarily mean it would stay there of course.

In any case, it's a massive area for expansion.

Fantastic news! This will really give them a lot of new space to play around with, something they don't seem to have much of currently.

I wouldn't mind seeing a dark ride built here too. From looking at their site, Liseberg only seems to have Fairy Tale Castle.

Also, considering the park are building Projekt Helix, is there much point in Kanonen anymore? It's situated right on the boundary between the park and this new area of land that they've purchased. Getting rid of this would only free up more space. Besides that, isn't a smaller launch coaster being in the same park as something like Projekt Helix going to render it a little... pointless? It's in its eighth season now, so it's not like it hasn't been there for very long.

One more thing, will any of this new space be used for parking or doesn't the park need any more?

BigAl said:
Also, considering the park are building Projekt Helix, is there much point in Kanonen anymore? It's situated right on the boundary between the park and this new area of land that they've purchased. Getting rid of this would only free up more space. Besides that, isn't a smaller launch coaster being in the same park as something like Projekt Helix going to render it a little... pointless? It's in its eighth season now, so it's not like it hasn't been there for very long.

One more thing, will any of this new space be used for parking or doesn't the park need any more?

Kanonen is a different breed of launch coaster to the Mack offering. Kanonen has a fast and powerful launch much like Stealth and Rita, but then has a very boring and quite aggressive layout after the top hat. It's a nice ride and although I'd like to think it's days are numbered, I can't see it going anywhere because it's just far too popular for that. When I was there it was the busiest ride on park and I don't think Projekt Helix is going to detract from that too much.

As for parking, I don't think it's a problem as most people walk or get public transport to / from the park. Gothemburg is a big city with really good transportation links, so it works quite well.

BigAl said:

I don't think there's any cause to get rid of Kanonen. It's a good crowd sponge and it's not really in the way of anything even if they do build something on the new land they've acquired. I thought it was a fun little coaster and it's quite unlike any other I've been on. I remember thinking it was better than Rita actually. There's no need to get rid of one launch coaster just because another arrives. Some parks can't get enough of them, look at King's Dominion!

Also, I think of an 8 year old coaster as being quite young, particularly as it's a custom layout. It wouldn't surprise me if it's closer to its opening date than its closing date.

Well I was more referring to the fact that they're both sitdown launch coasters, it's just that Projekt Helix will have much more of everything and will probably make Kanonen look a little naff. :p

With King's Dominion, they do have three coasters with a launch, but Flight of Fear is an indoor launch with various effects, Volcano is a suspended coaster set in and around a volcano and Backlot Stunt Coaster is a family thrill outdoor sectional coaster with greater reliance on scenes and lots of decoration (albeit mostly consisting of shipping containers :p ). There's a greater variation with those attractions.

I'm not against a park featuring more than one launch as it'd be like saying too many coasters with regular chain lifts is weird, but here we have a new ride being built which should eclipse Kanonen in every way (more launches, more elements, a bigger and better top hat, much more theming and some beautiful landscaping and terrain to follow).

But I thought it was weird when Canada's Wonderland got a B&M giga when they already have Behemoth, so maybe this is just something I find odd? :p

Fredward said:
Updated pov, just shared from mack rides facebook!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRk0vJa-Xds&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sorry if this is posted before, I am loving this project! Looks pretty crazy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

What a fantastic coaster. Airtime, quite long, great pacing, some awesome inversions and two launches! We really need something like this here.

Meh, just looks like a lot of corkscrews and helices to me. It'll be fun, as in not ruin your day, but especially being a Mack megacoaster it'll hardly set the park on fire.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be one of the best coasters in Europe. It's long, looks fun and has a nice amount of variation. I pray that we get one of these in the UK someday!

There's some nice rock work in that POV that I don't think was in previous POVs, will be nice if that comes to fruition.

:)

Eee, this is looking amazing! Trip to Liseberg next year is definitely on the cards! :D