• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Presumably if their cost base and their prices rose by the same percentage, their profits would get bigger, although they wouldn't necessarily be worth anymore in real terms. But yes, if their prices rose by a smaller percentage than their cost base, it could be a different issue. In theory spend per a head often reduces when a park gets too busy, because people are less likely to buy things when the queues are longer. Liseberg is also different because you can pay to enter without buying a wristband for the rides, so maybe the mix of guests changed.

Having said that, when you work in parks you often realise that claims made in press statements and on LinkedIn can be far removed from what's actually happening. If everything on LinkedIn were true, all the British theme parks would be absolute cash cows, which doesn't really explain why they keep on closing down. And the stories on LinkedIn often don't reflect the reviews on Trip Advisor. Because Liseberg's owned by the city is does tend to be a lot more transparent than most parks, so hopefully any information coming from the park is honest and accurate.

@Funcone I guess it depends how inflation has impacted their cost base. I am always curious as to how Sweden's lack of a minimum wage impacts things.

I didn't really understand what they were driving at here - "Liseberg opted to continue limiting the number of guests in the amusement park in 2022, which had a positive effect on both guest satisfaction and turnover.""

They don’t have a minimum wage but there is almost 100% union membership and collective bargaining sets local minimum wages so I don’t think it has much impact on the bottom line really.

I guess if a park is less busy, guests are happy, and happy guests spend more.

If the park is packed and there are queues for food, drink, etc you are more likely to not bother or only both one thing. If there aren’t queues you’ll probably end up spending more.

Of course you also need the right balance, as too few guests means you’ll just have staff stood doing nothing.

I guess if a park is less busy, guests are happy, and happy guests spend more.

If the park is packed and there are queues for food, drink, etc you are more likely to not bother or only both one thing. If there aren’t queues you’ll probably end up spending more.

Of course you also need the right balance, as too few guests means you’ll just have staff stood doing nothing.
Definitely have to get the mix right - feels like you need a lot of happiness to make up for a volume drop off like that.

It's definitely more difficult to extrapolate such matters in a park with a mixed ticketing model. Feels like a bit of a stretch to suggest a lot of the missing people didn't spend anything and those that turned up spent in record volumes.

Did they maybe change the mix in terms of having less entry only ticketing available ?

Haven't followed this project at all but it looks like a cute little addition! Cool to see a family boomerang layout that isn't more akin to the traditional ones. What really makes this special is how it effortlessly squeezes between their other coasters - should probably go back sooner or later.

Decided to book into their new hotel in June for two nights. Was actually cheaper than Gothia Towers which surprised me. It really is a great park with a good mix of coasters and flat rides, not been on their new(ish) dark ride so that with the new coaster and hotel means there's a few new bits to try out.

Decided to book into their new hotel in June for two nights. Was actually cheaper than Gothia Towers which surprised me. It really is a great park with a good mix of coasters and flat rides, not been on their new(ish) dark ride so that with the new coaster and hotel means there's a few new bits to try out.
I’m surprised at how cheap it is too. We’re staying in August for £45pppn including breakfast! I imagine as it’s opening year it’s less expensive than it will be once they’ve ironed out any issues?

I’m surprised at how cheap it is too. We’re staying in August for £45pppn including breakfast! I imagine as it’s opening year it’s less expensive than it will be once they’ve ironed out any issues?
I was assuming either the reason you mention or due to the fact the waterpark is still being built and will not open until next year. Or a mix of both. Looks a nice hotel and hopefully the weather is good as I'd like to try out the rooftop terrace drinking a beer or two.

ECC are at Liseberg now and members are staying in the new hotel. So I'm looking forward to seeing content from inside the hotel and also the new coaster, ready for my visit in June.

It's Liseberg through and through - top class 👏

I'm sure it's going to be the cost of a small family car to stay here for the night - but at least it's going to be worth it.

It's Liseberg through and through - top class 👏

I'm sure it's going to be the cost of a small family car to stay here for the night - but at least it's going to be worth it.
I don't think it is, some friends are going in June and it worked out cheaper than the hotel they'd originally planned to book. Though Sweden does seem more expensive for most things fron when I visited in 2019.