• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Dungeons

I've just arrived back in Cardiff from the Dungeons today.

1. Not a patch on Tooley Street :(
Not scary, not as well themed and not particularly funny (apart from the Judge, but he always was the best bit) There are pipes/plug sockets/cables/fourth wall breakers everywhere. I had read there were some sort of 'rat effect' leg ticklers but I didn't encounter any.

2. 'Drop Dead' is on the most baffling 'Tower of Terror' style drop program that makes no contextual sense.

3. On a positive for me, but a negative for some, it was surprisingly easy to navigate pushing a wheelchair (apart from 'Whitechapel') and staff were very helpful and accomodating. This ease of navigating does equal less claustrophobia and that authentic 'cramped streets' effect the original attraction had, however.

4. The Brian Blessed thing was a massively wasted opportunity. Blink and you'll miss it.

In summary:
tumblr_mpja5iGv3V1squemzo1_1280.jpg

I think the guy in the Jack Daniels shirt sums it up.

Laura,

I too went on Saturday (last tour) and I think it had had a bad day; leaflets thrown everywhere, bottles of water everywhere and general disrepair (having cleaning staff wandering around didn't help the experience much).

They're not trying to be scary anymore - it's now based on humour, so the fact it's not as scary as Tooley Street is expected. I would say some of the theming is better than Tooley Street - but, it's all subjective. I'd be interested to read what you thought was the weak theming. The ceilings will be (ad)dressed soon, so that's a good sign.

The programming of Drop Dead is strange. What it NEEDS to do is drop you, have a show scene at the bottom (did you see the strobe lights illuminating the dead bodies?) and then raise you up quickly and let that be it. I think wish their current programming they're just making it more of a thrill ride than a plot driven ride.

Certainly blink and you'll miss Henry VIII - but I think the boat ride is a vast improvement. I was unlucky enough to have been completely drenched by the cart moment - which was good fun and it really is a good experience - it's just a shame it stars the attraction. Don't get me started on The Gong Farmer - logistical nightmare.

I saw the top of what looked like hanging people, but that's it. It then lurched up and down a bit. There was no force behind any of it.

They may be taking away the 'fear factor' but they need to replace it with something else - HUMOUR. It wasn't funny, or should I say, it was about the same as it's predecessor. It was the same but watered down.

The corridors are too open and they are literally just walls with the odd 'body' or cart bunged in. The previous dungeons had cramped streets full of flickering windows and a 'scare' could come from anywhere (i.e. the people puking on you in the street). Around Drop Dead there was a lot of rubbish strewn, and the projection screen looked tatty. I also have to say that the projection/video effects (i.e. the one jump scare on the way to Guy Fawkes, and the two people talking in the coffin) were also a bit ropey.

It's very frustrating that it was a 'bad day'. That's not really acceptable when it cost me in excess of £150 just to get there. It needs to be consistently good, and while Merlin is now well known for it's 'work in progress' attractions, having half-finished themeing in what is a THEMED WALKTHROUGH EXPERIENCE is not acceptable.

I went on Saturday and I was quite impressed. I hadn't really looked up reviews or the scene details too much and I was quite surprised by how the two rides have changed.

I don't know if you always got soaked on the back of the boat ride but I sure as hell did.

The changes to the drop ride were quite interesting but it was nowhere near as good as I hoped, which was a single sharp drop from the top and then maybe offloading at the bottom of the ride. I think I prefer the old Extremis because its punch was great.

The theming, scenes and actors were great I thought. I think Jack the Ripper looses something from its single very jumpy moment but it is still incredibly effective. Sweeny's silhouette is also a great addition.

All in all a fantastic attraction that will see the success it deserves.

One thing I should say about the boat ride, Henry's Wrath (which apart from the wasted Henry effect, was an improvement)
Be very careful when leaving the boat. My friend was wearing flat strappy summer shoes and the water sloshed right over the edge of the station and fully soaked her feet up to the ankles. I was wearing sensible shoes but had they not been waterproof I wouldn't have been very pleased!

Visiting around midday Saturday, how long will the queue take and how long does the experience last? Also a brief synopsis of the tour for a Scardy cat like me?

In the normal queue, you will be waiting about 90 minutes to a couple of hours - I would estimate. However around 30 minutes queue time is now indoors and and experience in itself, it's relatively time-passing.

There are a few jumpy moments of effects and with the actors but it is far from extreme and humour is used frequently. It is atmospheric and authentic, as opposed to scary.

I've just been to the London Dungeon so I'll try and post a 'walkthrough' thing later. I desperately wanted one when I first went to dungeons :) I won't go into too much detail though, that'd just ruin it :p

EDIT: I'll post it here. Sorry if I'm a bit late :-[ So, you start with an obligatory photo opportunity with some posing on the chopping block and some holding the axe. You walk through some dark corridors with doors on the sides. They rattle occasionally to make some jump scares. You walk through the ticket office and into Descent. This is just funny so don't expect any scares. I won't ruin any jokes though :p

You exit onto the loading platform of Henry's Wrath-Boat Ride. The ride's pretty fun with some cool effects such as rats running along a wall, a cart falling towards you and Brian Blessed as Henry VIII. The ride ends with you rising up a vertical lift and falling backwards down a drop. But, it's really disorientating so it's difficult to tell what actually happens. You exit onto the City Gate. My boat was last so I don't know what happened really. It didn't seem particularly scary though.

You meet a plotter under the Palace of Westminister and learn about the Gunpowder Plot. You walk through many corridors 'under parliament' until you get to a room full with barrels, a guard, and Guy Fawkes' head on a spike. The guard talks about how he foiled the Gunpowder Plot and that he will be the one who will be remembered. Guy Fawkes' head however, begins talking to the guard and eventually tricks him into lighting the gunpowder. The effect of the explosion is pretty cool. It's surprising but I wouldn't say it's scary. But once again, I won't spoil it. You are accused of helping the plotters and are sent to the torture chamber.

Someone's chosen to sit in the torture chair and two are chosen to go in the cages from what I could see. Our group was at the back for a most of the tour so we missed a bit. Try and get to the front if you can. They demonstrate the usual instruments (and it's always fun to tell them the answer when they ask the group what each instrument is. They usually say 'Whey! We have a fellow torturer in today!)

You move into The Plague and you meet a lovely couple in two coffins as they try and escape the plague. You go into the anatomy theatre and sit around on benches. There's a body lying on a table and a chair in the centre. Someone's chosen to be operated on. There are a few jumps with the lights going out but not much. The assisstant explains about the plague symptoms and cures. And some about anatomy. Near the end, the curtain is closed around the one in the chair. You can see a silhouette of the one in the chair. They hit a hammer over their head and 'pull out their bits'. There's a cool effect that makes it look like they're kicking their legs too.

Between these shows, there's a trommel tunnel themed as a sewer.

It's Mrs Lovett's Pie Shop next. I thought this was the funniest show along with the judge. The half psycho persona is hilarious. I really don't won't to go into detail though and spoil the fantastic show. You continue to the barber shop where you sit in chairs around the room. The lights go out and you see Sweeney's silhouette outside the window as he enters. You hear him whispering in your ear as various effects are used. It end with Sweeney 'cutting your throat'. Sweeney Todd and Jack the Ripper are probably the scariest shows in the London Dungeon. Which is next.

You walk into the streets of Whitechapel and meet Mary Jane Kelly who tells you about the latest murders. The latest victim is lying on the floor. When she's finished, you continue into the mirror maze. There are a few jump scares using one way glass. When you're out of the maze, you enter the 10 Bells Pub. Some sit at tables and the rest stand around the edge. The landlady tells you that the last murder was a year ago. The lights occasionally turn off and she appears in different places which can be a bit freaky. One time when the lights go out, the music gets louder and tenser until strobes fill the room. Jack is there swirling his cape around. The second time it happens, he's up in someone's face with a knife. This can be a bit terrifying ::) The landlady suddenly appears again with Jack gone. 'You look like you've seen a ghost!'

The Judge next. I really don't want to talk about this show as it's so funny. Not scary at all, just proper laugh out loud. It's great in a smaller group, as is most of the Dungeons. But, it's still good.

Finally, it's Drop Dead. First, you meet someone telling you how to give them a good death! Nothing scary here so I won't spoil it. Then you carry on to the ride. You sit on either side of the tower but you load at the top. So, the floor retracts after you've put your bags away and the lap bars have been pulled down. You unexpectedly drop down (your photo usually ends up like :eek: ) You bounce up and down a bit and you see some other hung bodies. The ride ends at the top of the tower and you exit past the photo point. You can buy the photo at the beginning or the one on Drop Dead. And then into the shop. Then, you can relax, you made it!

Overall, it's not too scary but can be pretty intense at times. If you do get too scared, you can leave if you ask an actor. They'll take you backstage and snap out of character to become friendly and helpful. Be sure to PM me if you have any questions. :)

NEW: Tyrant Boat Ride (London Dungeon)

http://www.thedungeons.com/london/en/explore-the-dungeon/the-tyrant-boat-ride.aspx

They've probably just turned a light off and got a new character - but... anyway:

The ALL NEW Tyrant Boat Ride re-opens on Saturday 24th May

This May, visitors to The London Dungeon can experience the full force of Henry VIII’s wrath in an altogether darker and scarier experience on the ALL NEW , improved, Tyrant Boat Ride.

Condemned to death by Henry’s loyal servant, the Black Jester, for conspiring with Anne Boleyn, guests (now traitors) will join her on her final journey along the Thames to The Tower of London, where you'll meet your fate. You may lose your head - or get wet! Definitely one of those two!

Along the way, the murderous monarch himself will sentence you to death before intense fog, darkness, choppy waters, scurries of rats and foul stench of sewage will give you a 360 feel for the journey that so many other traitors made during King Henry's reign.

Re: NEW: Tyrant Boat Ride (London Dungeon)

I only rode this attraction the other week and was very impressed, so I am surprised to see its now been given some new features and effects. Just by reading the new description im guessing it now has, fog / smoke effects, sounds of rats / in seat effects, new smells and...added waves? Obviously not tidal waves but maybe they've made the water more choppy or rapid like? Probably not but its a thought.

It was already pretty good before, so even if this is just a few minor improvements, it's good news!

Certainly better than the utter dross of a boat ride that they had at Tooley Street.

And also THE GONG FARMER is now the GONE farmer. You arrive at the Tower of London and meet someone talking about how they prepare a head for the spike!

Sam said:
It was already pretty good before
Ahahaha!

I couldn't believe they found a way of making the boat ride worse with the New Dungeons. It felt like floating around a temporary water channel squeezed in somebody's basement (because that's what it was).

My favourite part is when you bang into a metal wall and then levitate sideways. Clearly they had ample room for the lift and drop.

They should focus on making this ride more funny because it will never ever be impressive in its current location. Or just go back to the very first boat ride before it was ruined in 2004.

Have you got some sort of chip on your shoulder about the Tooley Street/County Hall move...? :S

New boat ride is better than the old boat ride by a country mile. As is the entirety of the new dungeons compared to the old, except for the drop tower. :)

It was fairly decent from what I remember last year, in fact the new Dungeon itself is awesome.

Would anyone say that the boat ride is the weakest link to overall throughput of the Dungeon? I don't know if it is or not but perhaps part of these changes are design to address that?

Yeah - the new dungeon boat ride is much better than Tooley Street's pitch black tunnel. It's a shame that the figures in the new ride are static. Very interested to see what new things they've added. I know the Berlin Dungeon has choppy waters, so maybe it's something they've brought over to London.

The throughput issue is down to the photo opportunity...

nickhutson said:
Yeah - the new dungeon boat ride is much better than Tooley Street's pitch black tunnel. It's a shame that the figures in the new ride are static. Very interested to see what new things they've added. I know the Berlin Dungeon has choppy waters, so maybe it's something they've brought over to London.

The throughput issue is down to the photo opportunity...

When I went the other week, (Mid-day on a Saturday) there was quite a large queue inside in the queue-line - after exiting the elevator we were straight onto the boat ride without a queue. I think it is the elevator that holds up the throughput as opposed to the ride. It could do with two elevators similar to Phantom Manor.

Sam said:
Have you got some sort of chip on your shoulder about the Tooley Street/County Hall move?
No? I'm glad they moved because it was always a stressful experience getting into the Dungeons on Tooley Street and inside was a patchwork of very old and new.

But the original Dungeon was a good niche attraction, which I liked. Now it's trying hard to please as many people as possible, while riffing on the memory of the original. It's just another Merlin brand now really.

Also the new boat ride had no effort put into it at all. If it doesn't even try to entertain people beyond a 2m backwards drop and the century-old (literally) trick of some barrels falling over, then I don't see why anybody should care about it much.

I don't reckon the new boat ride is worthy of its own topic, so I've merged it into the original London Dungeons :)

electricBlll said:
Sam said:
Have you got some sort of chip on your shoulder about the Tooley Street/County Hall move?
No? I'm glad they moved because it was always a stressful experience getting into the Dungeons on Tooley Street and inside was a patchwork of very old and new.

But the original Dungeon was a good niche attraction, which I liked. Now it's trying hard to please as many people as possible, while riffing on the memory of the original. It's just another Merlin brand now really.

Also the new boat ride had no effort put into it at all. If it doesn't even try to entertain people beyond a 2m backwards drop and the century-old (literally) trick of some barrels falling over, then I don't see why anybody should care about it much.

Personally I thought the tipping cart and waterfall were very good effects and I didnt see them coming or expect them in The Dungeons - I was pleasantly surprised by the whole attraction.