• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Dungeons

But the actor count in London is far higher than any other Dungeon. It probably depends on how busy the dungeon is at the time - but I am sure there'll be a few actors there to interact and tell *their* character's story.

I am sure the alcohol price will be the same across all the Merlin stuff - but they'll most likely offer souvenir goblets and stuff. Let's just be happy we get a free drink! I think it adds a nice ending to the experience.

Really excited about The Tavern now. Reading through the London Dungeon's fb comments about it, it is actually part of the show, as opposed to an open bar attached at the end, a la Blackpool. This should definitely result in a more controlled and interactive environment!

Also, I have a question for pure interest only about the old Dungeon..

When did they add Bedlam? I visited as a kid in 2000; it wasn't there then and nor do I remember it being there in 2005, but it was there by the time Vengeance was installed. And I don't remember them advertising it as a new attraction as such. So when was it added?

I think it was just to fill the gap between the judge and the boat ride. I'm pretty sure it was there from some point in the early 00's, but there were rarely any actors in there. There was a path that avoided it so that people with photosensitive epilepsy could avoid the strobes. I think that on days when the boat ride was broken, guests were directed down this alternate route, then round the back of the transfer track between the two stations, straight in to Sweeny's waiting area.

Ahh thank you! It always bugged me trying to work out when they put it in. I had wondered if it was ever put there to rival the London Bridge Experience/Tombs.

I wish they could add something like Bedlam as an optional extra in County Hall. I get they are more family friendly but if it was a short, optional walkthrough for thrill seekers it would add an extra level to the overall experience. I find the walks between shows to drag on and on; a lot of empty space.

If my memory from the late 90s/early 00's serves me correctly was The Dungeons at Tooley Street not mainly a highly themed educational walk through with a boat ride in the middle until about 10-15 years ago when it became actor led?

I seem to remember being able to walk through more or less at your own pace when I went as a kid. I'm sure it was better then as well.

If my memory from the late 90s/early 00's serves me correctly was The Dungeons at Tooley Street not mainly a highly themed educational walk through with a boat ride in the middle until about 10-15 years ago when it became actor led?

I seem to remember being able to walk through more or less at your own pace when I went as a kid. I'm sure it was better then as well.
Pretty much, yes. It was more of a museum than anything else. The closest thing to it in London today is The Clink Museum.

Last edited:
It was always just a walkway from the court room to the loading area for the boat ride. I think they just had an actor in there in the later (and busier peak) days. The strobe was so slow in there it was sometimes hard to know where you were going.

They wanted to have a full on bedlam scare maze for County Hall but it wasn't in the new family direction of the attraction. The closest thing they have now is The Mad House which is in Hamburg.

Do they still have the asylum room in Amsterdam? That was pretty good for a single room. Especially if you stand in just the right wrong place like I did.

Going way way back,
does anyone remember Pandemonium?
It opened just after my only visit,
probably about 30 years ago,
when the dungeons was on Tooley St.

I think that's before even my time. What was it? The only things I remember from my first visit as a kid are the old great fire streets, and a gillotine show.

It's a shame that they decided to sell out so much and go for 'family friendly', even though they always were, just a bit dark at times.

I've heard from the Dungeon themselves (due to a reply) that they are planning to install a great fire show for 2016.

Any thoughts?

I personally am really excited to see how it is played out. I imagine that, for continuity, it would placed after the Plague surgery before Mrs. Lovett?

They used to have a Great Fire of London show in the old Tooley Street dungeon which was never a highlight, but it could be better with more effects etc.

A fireball exploded from the wall within the mortuary scene in the old Jack The Ripper show - before Vengeance replaced it.