• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

Wallace & Gromit already have a ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, so I'm not sure if they would partner with another park.

I would have thought the licence would have expired by the opening. Plus paramount are in collaboration with aardman now.

Aardman obviously license their IPs on a bit by bit basis.

I'd better not say too much here really but I sincerely doubt they've tied themselves in that tightly to a small ride refurbishment in a North West coastal town.

I am not pretending I know about their wider licensing agreements or anything, but I do have some experience of the brand and they're very sensible in how they utilise their IPs.

Last edited:
Aardman obviously license their IPs on a bit by bit basis.

I'd better not say too much here really but I sincerely doubt they've tied themselves in that tightly to a small ride refurbishment in a North West coastal town.

I am not pretending I know about their wider licensing agreements or anything, but I do have some experience of the brand and they're very sensible in how they utilise their IPs.
I agree I think it would be 'cracking' to see a kids area or ride similar to Scooby doo in movie world Queensland.

If they are able to then James Bond is a must! Would surely be a huge attraction for people and you don't get more British than James Bond when it comes to film.

:)

If I'm going to assume they'll be able to use any British IP, James Bond would almost certainly be at the top of the list.

Another thought: could they potentially use Harry Potter? I know there's the Potter Studios tour, but it would seem daft to me if they aren't able to negotiate some kind of deal for a Harry Potter ride of sorts. I'm also not sure if Universal's rights to Potter are worldwide, or just in the countries they operate in.

If I'm going to assume they'll be able to use any British IP, James Bond would almost certainly be at the top of the list.

Another thought: could they potentially use Harry Potter? I know there's the Potter Studios tour, but it would seem daft to me if they aren't able to negotiate some kind of deal for a Harry Potter ride of sorts. I'm also not sure if Universal's rights to Potter are worldwide, or just in the countries they operate in.

As far as I am aware, Warner Bros hold the rights to Harry Potter and simply "lease" the IP to Universal in return for a portion of the profits. They could do the same to Paramount if they wanted.

Didn't we see some early concept art of the Titanic? So maybe a Titanic ride could be on the cards.

Just thinking about the possibility for a 1969 Italian job ride makes my mouth water if that gets built screw it id live there

James Bond, Italian Job, typically iconic British brands a movies, throw in a huge global movie of some kind and they could have a real, real amazing park.

I don't like IPs in theme parks particularly, as I feel it ruins the escapism, though to be fair, I am not a fan but I still do think SAW was done well enough for it to feel like a theme in it's own right even for people who aren't fans like me.

I don't like IPs in theme parks particularly, as I feel it ruins the escapism, though to be fair, I am not a fan but I still do think SAW was done well enough for it to feel like a theme in it's own right even for people who aren't fans like me.

Universal and Disney are prime examples of IP based parks that are easily the best in the world. Good IP's make good themes, they immerse you into the world of the IP. Badly done ones ruin the escapism.

Universal and Disney are prime examples of IP based parks that are easily the best in the world. Good IP's make good themes, they immerse you into the world of the IP. Badly done ones ruin the escapism.

I could have sworn I wrote something about Disney/Universal being an example of visiting there for exactly that reason. You go because that's what you actually want. I totally agree. I wonder if I wrote it in the wrong post somewhere?!

I think a park based soley on IPs is a different to one that's not.
Like Phantasialand where everything is themed brilliantly but to unique and individual stories.
Somewhere like Universal you go to be part of the IP's stories and everything is still themed brilliantly.

I agree that having the odd IP dotted about the park can drag you out of the escapism, but if the whole park is dedicated to them then they become part of the escapism, for me.

I agree that having the odd IP dotted about the park can drag you out of the escapism, but if the whole park is dedicated to them then they become part of the escapism, for me.

Yes, this is what is exciting for me about Paramount, being able to decide - I want to go and experience these films etc in an immersive way! I believe Disney manage to get their own ride stories in, but for me it seems even those, they still feel "Disney" as it were, they're lent magic by way of their parks - that the rides feel an extension of the Disney universe without being perhaps in a film or story etc.

I don't think Charlie is too bad in Towers, in that it doesn't really stand out, but Ice Age does and it just feels out of place totally. Saw, that's not too bad, as it does have presence about it that would stand alone as a theme in itself, but then THORPE nowadays is just a mish mash anyway.

CBeebies, that's a bit of a different story I think, because it's good for the kids to recognise the characters, it's done really tastefully, there's one or two in there I feel are a bit brash and sort of slightly take away from the atmosphere, but on the whole it's pretty decent. But to think about dropping a big IP into say X-Sector, or Forbidden Valley would completely ruin it.

I know this is going off the topic still but on the subject of escapism I think this is a big difference between Alton and Thorpe. Both parks have Tussaud's Studios and Merlin Magic Making orignal concepts as well as IPs. But Alton adds to the escapism feeling, a whole land you can meet Mr Blooms friends and help Postman Pat. Whereas at Thorpe the IPs feel like they distract from the escapism.

It's all looking very good. I just hope that they can secure the money, that's what it is all going to come down to. Hopefully they are well on their way to doing this.

:)

10424255_829777903740317_7504054463547154506_n.jpg

Why is this futuristic Star Trek area going to feature a Vekoma mine train as the centrepiece?

Really really hope this happens as it will be the shot in the arm the UK industry needs. But there is still no talk on money, and the idea they want it built in 5 years when planning, land purchase and finance are still to be completed seems optimistic at best.

Still with any luck even the threat of a new park will make Merlin pull their finger out with theming.