• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

Really really hope this happens as it will be the shot in the arm the UK industry needs. But there is still no talk on money, and the idea they want it built in 5 years when planning, land purchase and finance are still to be completed seems optimistic at best.

Planning shouldn't be an issue. And if they get all of the money time shouldn't be a major issue either. These new parks can shoot up a lot faster than you'd actually expect.

It is just all about the money. They've obviously got some to be able to do what they have so far. And I don't think they'd go as far as they have without being confident of securing further funding. Fingers crossed!

:)

I don't think they've be getting special dispensation from the Government either without there being some serious potential backers.

It's never done until it's open, but the momentum this is gaining, and the ideas I have seen so far, we've deserved as a major world economy with London being more popular than New York as one of the world's most visited cities, a world class attraction for many years!

Alton Towers had the potential, Merlin screwed that. Failed to see it's potential. What we have now being proposed here, is something of a standard we have needed for a long, long time. Obviously Towers could never be this sprawling and thankfully it's far enough away that it shouldn't impact too highly on it which would be a tragedy, but I would shuffling uneasily if I was Mr Varney now.

His cost cutting cookie cutter formula might not look quite so clever long term after all...

I am quite positive about this, and whilst it's certainly true it's not happening until the day it opens, assuming all goes ahead this will see theme park resort and entertainment in the UK move into the 21st century. What's more exciting is this may be the dawn of other projects in this country of it proves successful. Universal and Disney feed off each other's success, and there is no reason I see why this couldn't have the same propelling force to see other large companies build resorts over here

And it might force existing parks to up their game.

My concern with this, is will they just give up trying to compete with that market, which they should have conceivably at least been aiming to match anyway, and actually downgrade experiences at existing parks or actually potentially close some and try and consolidate to maintaining their profit margins?

It's equally as possible. Especially the London parks.

I just hope they don't lose focus and try to be everything at once. I'd much rather it was a shopping centre with some rides, like Mall of America or West Edmonton Mall, but both those were properly realised with a couple of solid rides to go with some good shops. Instead of them wanting to have some shops, a waterpark, a cinema, an arena, and some rides as well, but have all of those be a bit half done and cheap variations.

I'd much rather one MACK than 5 Vekomas.

I'd much rather one MACK than 5 Vekomas.

Depends which ones lol. I don't actually mind Vekoma :D - point taken though, but this probably is where our enthusiast views stop matching GP ones.

One of the new concept images:

1610845_666249336807530_7639244507624092300_n.jpg

You can see the full stage 2 consultation displays here.

There is definitely still a woodie in the background of the concept image! I'd imagine that all of the concepts are subject to change though.

Very exciting prospect, clearly they're aiming for something along the same level as Universal/Disney parks at least in terms of theming. Will be very curious to see what happens with this!

In that concept art, you can see what looks like a hyper coaster in the background. But of course that might change.

1 one thing I've noticed as well is that they have 12 major attractions planned, but still have water rides and thrill rides separately. Do they fall into the "major" part or are they deliberately separated and it actually refers to mainly coasters and dark rides?

fLh0zov.png

Combined with Roland's mystic water palace in the forthcoming years? Waterpark enthusiasts rejoice.

This is a piece of random speculation, but I really see one of the coasters being a B&M hyper.

Doubtful they'll get a woodie, as the British public just don't seem interested in them.

In that concept art, you can see what looks like a hyper coaster in the background. But of course that might change.

1 one thing I've noticed as well is that they have 12 major attractions planned, but still have water rides and thrill rides separately. Do they fall into the "major" part or are they deliberately separated and it actually refers to mainly coasters and dark rides?

I've always seen it as major attractions being the bigger costing rides, such as coasters or dark rides... Anything else is just supporting it (especially thrill flats and any water attraction)...

12 major attractions is a lot, especially if they're following it through to over 50... Depends if they have a Haunted Hollow ;)

Reactions: Ted
This is a piece of random speculation, but I really see one of the coasters being a B&M hyper.

Doubtful they'll get a woodie, as the British public just don't seem interested in them.

There's no solid evidence to suggest that the British public are not interested in woodies though. All we have is Towers/Merlin telling us that they don't do so well in market research, and although market research is important it is not the be all and end all. If the theme park industry as a whole just stuck to market reseach findings it would all be a lot more boring that it actually is. You need to take risks to advance the industry!

The only way to know how a good proper woodie would be recieved is for a park to build one and see what the reaction is. They are popular everywhere else in the world so why not the UK?

As for coaster speculation, who knows what they plan. I guess they'll have a rough idea of the types of coasters/rides they'd like but they don't plan on approaching/appointing any contractors until later in 2015 through to 2016.

At the risk of going off-topic, every non-coaster enthusiast I've spoken to about Wodan has had two reactions:

1: They see wooden coasters as old fashioned
2: They see wooden coasters as being unsafe

I don't think I've ever had a different reaction. With those attitudes, I'm not surprised Merlin don't invest.

I'm more interested in people's reactions after riding. Yes wooden coasters do have that perception in the UK but we don't have any examples to make people think otherwise (Oakwood is so far away that it may as well be in mainland Europe for most so not counting that). People will base a lot of their opinions on experiences at Blackpool etc.

All it takes is one park to take a risk. People will go and ride, and if it's a good one they will like it and spread the word. And then perceptions will change. There's no way they could be popular in every country in the world bar the UK. It just does not make any sense.

Reactions: CGM
Merlin taking a risk on a woodie is akin to Simon Cowell taking a risk on the next - what's that German metal band everyone on here seems to like, @Poisson?

Anyway yeah, seems to be met with much the same chances of happening.

Oh yeah, I don't see Merlin doing one first (although an RMC would really suit Thorpe). Hopefully this Flamingo Land woodie might materialise and be a hit. Failing that if Paramount do go for one it would be a lot less of a risk. The coaster would not be the sole reason for people to come and visit, people would want to come to experience the whole new park. It being there would be almost like a bonus. And naturally people would ride it.