• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

This was exciting news to wake up to! Really interesting indeed, it's great to see the project progress like this :blush: The doubts I had earlier this year are slowly beginning to diminish, I really do hope the progress continues at this rate, would be fantastic to have an attraction like this so close to home :D I am also very curious about the possible impacts this could have on Towers in terms of the partnership, though I certainly hope it will create enough competition for Merlin to step up :)

Wow, big big news! Adds further to my confidence that this is fully going to happen, there's no way this deal would have been signed if they weren't serious. Should allow for a nice variation of IPs to be used in the park also.

The implications for Merlin are also very interesting. Of course there's no reason why BBC Worldwide can not and will not work with multiple operators but I'd imagine the deal they have with LRCH is more substatial than any deal with Merlin. I don't see any risk to the future of CBeebies Land though.

:)

I doubt this will be a risk to Merlin. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Merlin are going to push through some more BBC brands quicker than planned.

I suppose it depends whether certain BBC brands are signed as exclusive. I would assume CBeebies Land is exclusive to Alton Towers/Merlin so that will be safe.

*If* this theme park goes ahead could we finally see a Doctor Who dark ride in the UK? If anyone wanted to give Doctor Who a go I would trust Paramount more than Merlin to get it just right (although I worry that Merlin are going to have a crack at it).

I still remain dubious this will go fully ahead although it looks very promising so fingers crossed! Merlin need some competition here, hopefully something like this will push them to improve in certain areas.

*If* this theme park goes ahead could we finally see a Doctor Who dark ride in the UK? If anyone wanted to give Doctor Who a go I would trust Paramount more than Merlin to get it just right (although I worry that Merlin are going to have a crack at it).

I am surprised that we haven't already got a dark ride. As for Merlin doing a good job at it, I think their work on Dungeons show they can do good theming jobs, better than some of the late-era Tussaud's (Bubbleworks, Charlie etc) so I think they could do a great job. However I guess Paramount will do this now.

I somehow think the article's got the wrong end of the stick a bit by calling a 'BBC theme park', when it's likely to be only a few attractions with BBC IPs attached to them

I have just woken up to see facebook exploding with ex-BBC people excitedly ranting about "oh, they close TVC, now want to open a theme park?" etc.

Here we go. Les see how long it takes people to start posting this to my wall. I'm still getting people tag me in that vid of Gravity Max that was doing the rounds months ago, with the caption "ZOMG LOL LOOKIT THIS WOULD NEVR B ALAWED IN DA USA,"

This is fantastic news - not least because it completely shafts Merlin's plans for more BBC partnerships after CBeebees Land. This isn't necessarily me bashing Merlin for the sake of it; it is sounding more and more like we're finally getting another big player in the UK theme park industry, and to compete Merlin will no longer be able to simply offer up mediocrity.

Back on topic: I remember hearing word about a Doctor Who attraction being planned for Paramount, and as it's possibly their biggest IP, it's almost certain it'll be included. Top Gear could also work as a 'Test Track' kinda ride. What other properties could they possibly offer, though? Unless they also make a Sherlock attraction, although I'm not sure how that would work.

I also point back to the article I found about the Chinese company bidding in for Lionsgate and wanting to invest in a UK park...

Now they sign a HUGE deal with the BBC. This just doesn't happen. The BBC must have seen the backers for them to engage in publicity such as this.

Oh PLEASE let this happen. As much as I fear a little for Towers now, in terms of this raising standards to ludicrous levels for the UK that it has desperately needed and deserved for decades, I too am of the "I hope this teaches Varney/Merlin a lesson" group.

I am not usually like that tbh, but the direction Merlin have been dragging our industry through, this is a major, major wake up call.

Finally, it seems the UK will get great competition, increased global presence without a cut/copy/paste style park, and the kick up the backside it's needed for a long time!

Should this happen, it is glorious news for our leisure and entertainment industry, and will firmly put Merlin and their money grabbing antics back in their corner.

Reactions: Rob
Oh PLEASE let this happen. As much as I fear a little for Towers now, in terms of this raising standards to ludicrous levels for the UK that it has desperately needed and deserved for decades, I too am of the "I hope this teaches Varney/Merlin a lesson" group.

I wouldn't worry about Towers. As Merlin's flagship park, if anything Paramount Park will make them invest more in the place.

The reason the UK's theme parks have stagnated is due to lack of competition. And competition, regardless of industry, is only a good thing. That's why this place needs to open.

Something of note: a status on theParamount Park Facebook group pages states 'animated characters' when mentioning the BBC deal. That got me thinking; whilst Alton Towers have a CBeebees deal, theres nothing to stop Paramount from offering a CBBC area. I'm unsure what current IPs it could use, as I haven't watched CBBC in about 14 years, or even if any CBBC IPs would have international appeal. But a CBBC tie-in as part of a kids area could work...perhaps.

As we don't know the details of any deal, there may well be nothing stopping both Merlin and Paramount Park using the same IPs. Depends if any exclusivity deals have been signed with regard for certain IPs and if so for how long.

:)

Fantastic news all round!!

I personally believe that Paramount is one of very few companies that could do something like Dr Who justice when it comes to creating a theme park experience.

I don't believe Merlin's theme parks would ever have the money or vision to do something as huge as Dr Who and get it right. I'm thinking Universal's Harry Potter style grandeur and budgets...

Nothing wrong with Cbeebies land mind!! Long may it continue!

I am surprised that we haven't already got a dark ride. As for Merlin doing a good job at it, I think their work on Dungeons show they can do good theming jobs, better than some of the late-era Tussaud's (Bubbleworks, Charlie etc) so I think they could do a great job. However I guess Paramount will do this now.

Oh yes, Merlin can do a good job. I actually think Sub-Terra (the current version) is pretty good.

Although Doctor Who is such a delicate and big IP, I really don't think Merlin could do it justice.

Paramount I think would have an edge and be a step ahead from Merlin.

Yaaaay! Adds serious credence to whether this will happen or not. It wouldn't be likely that the BBC would allow a deal to be made if they didn't see serious chances of this happening or being done well.

My only issue would be attraction quality - hopefully the budgets for this park will stretch enough to make some awesome stuff happen!