• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

No!!!!! The only ones that are successful is the Kings parks. Terra mittica is struggling. No new projects have come to fruition.

Even Warner bros would have been a better pitch, they could have used Harry Potter. Not sure on the deals with universal, but surely it would not include the uk.

I don't know but I am pretty sure that Universal will have exclusive theme park rights worldwide for the use of Harry Potter. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

:)

It's not a case of the developer just picking a movie studio. Universal and Warner Brothers might have zero interest in becoming involved and not allow the developers to licence their brands.

Anyway I highly doubt it will every happen!

Has any Paramount park ever been successfull?
I'd say King's Island definitely has (It was it's flagship park back in the day), and the other 4 weren't what I'd call terrible. Although I think they have been better off investment wise under Cedar Fair. Terra Mitica not so much however...

It's a shame the proposed park n Swanscombe looks more unlikely to happen every time we get a new piece of news. I really want it to happen and have been optimistic about it, but now that's going away :(

They didn't develop the park, they just put their name to it.

@Maelstrom, I'm not suggesting they can pick what ever studio. It would be nice if paramount falls through, then some other big player comes in. Be it another studio or someone else bar Merlin.

Paramount have never exclusively built their own park before. They only acquired parks previously built-owned by KECO Entertainment in the States and just had shares in Terra Mitica. They WERE also supposed to have built two parks by now in South Korea and Spain but construction never started for either, despite them both touting a $1.5 billion cost.

Were Paramount themselves actually behind the Spain and Korean parks though? I might be wrong but thought same as London where some developers planned to Licence the name and brands from paramount. I thought all three projects (Spain, Korea and London) were all from different developers and no links between them?

They had different developers/investors/willing owners (South Korea had Daewoo Motor Sales Corp and Spain had PREMURSA) but the park concepts were ultimately spearheaded, researched and pursued by Paramount themselves, including acting in the creative development and licensing roles, as far as I've personally investigated.

I would have thought that the predicted 15 million visitors per year figure would have given strong enough indications that this resort would never be built as originally "planned". At best we'll get a posh hotel and a couple of restaurants next to a fun fair, at worst, nothing at all.

It's clear that the domestic market is reaching saturation, which means that any great numbers of extra visitors would need to come from abroad. The only 2 feasible ways to do this wouldnt be to either find a massive brown field site in an area of high unemployment where you can build a gigantic complex of many parks with little in the way of planning restrictions and attached to extremely strong IPs such as universal or Disney - or buy an existing Park with existing infrastructure and heritage like Towers and expand and convert it.

Neither of which will happen.

It has been a while since we've had a London Paramount update but the Kent News are able to provide one. It has been revealed that SinoFortone, the Chinese company that have committed £100 million towards the project, are actually a shell company who despite promising to commit billions of pounds worth of investment to UK projects have only ever successfully delivered on a pub. Awkward.

However London Resort Company Holding have said in response:

“SinoFortone publicly announced their intention to invest in October 2015 and that commitment is unchanged.

“We’re still working hard behind the scenes, developing our business plan and preparing our planning application for submission later this year.

“It’s no secret that this has taken longer than we would have liked, but this is a huge project and we’re determined to get it right.

“We’ll be sharing more news soon and look forward to updating everyone on the project.”

I appreciate that the planning process for this is far from straightforward but even I am severely doubting that this will ever materialise now. 2017 is make or break in my opinion, if there is no significant step forward then we can probably forget it. And I will conceed that I was wrong about it in the past!

Its a great idea, potentially as easy for Europeans to reach as it is for the UK to reach DLP, with the HS1 station nearby.
I suspect the uncertainties around the UK economy will be the final nail in the coffin of this project.

London Paramount also announced at the end of last week that they have had a management reshuffle:
London Paramount said:
Reshuffle at the top and new momentum for Entertainment Resort in North Kent

10 February 2017

British company London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH) and its parent Kuwaiti European Holding Group (KEH) are pleased to announce senior appointments that will help to drive forward the plans for the Entertainment Resort on the Swanscombe Peninsula in North Kent.

With immediate effect, Humphrey Percy, Group CEO, KEH, will take on the role of CEO of London Resort Company Holdings; Mike Morrison has been hired as CFO and Kevin Doyle, who has worked on the Entertainment Resort project from the start, has been appointed DCO Coordinator, responsible for ensuring that a Development Consent Order (DCO) for the project is successfully submitted.

Humphrey Percy, Group CEO, KEH, said:

“David Testa has decided to step back from the KEH Group and cease his roles within all Group Companies, including LRCH (London Paramount). David’s input into the project has been hugely appreciated and we wish him well in the next stage of his career. We are now entering a new exciting phase of the project as we carry out our final stage of consultation prior to submitting our Development Consent Order (DCO).

“This announcement reaffirms our determination to submit our application for the Entertainment Resort. After many months of review, revision and reappraisal we have a robust business plan for building a world-class entertainment resort in the UK and are ready to push forward. We are working closely with the local authorities, landowners and local community, as well as our other stakeholders, to deliver a global destination attraction.

“I am delighted to be directly overseeing the plans for the proposed Entertainment Resort in North Kent and welcome Mike and Kevin in their new roles as CFO and DCO Coordinator, respectively. Having held senior positions at Morgan Stanley and WestLB AG, amongst others, Mike has a wealth of experience in property, business management and accounting that will be incredibly beneficial to LRCH. Kevin has worked on the project from the start, knows the team and the local area extremely well and played a key role in the delivery of some of the largest entertainment projects across the globe.

“I am confident that now, we have the team, the partners and the plans in place to deliver a truly global destination attraction.”

At least you cannot fault their efforts to try and get this going.

No wonder new theme parks dont open. The amount of planning and time this has taken i wont be able to ride anything as i will be 80

I plan on riding coaster until i am too medical unfit to do so. So there is a chance of me getting a ride count from paramount London :D