• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

Surely people have worked with big projects in the private or in government? Stuff takes time...

I'm largely apathetic as to whether it happens or not at this stage.

GE usually refers to General Electric, but they don't own Universal, Comcast do through their NBC subsidiary @Matt N

To clarify: GE did own 49% of NBCU, but Comcast bough them out, ohhhh about 5 years ago (2013 I think).

I'm pretty up on Universal, so no excuse for that absolute lapse in memory on my part! Thanks for the correction.

I'm pretty up on Universal, so no excuse for that absolute lapse in memory on my part! Thanks for the correction.

Ah no worries, I only have a stalker like interest in NBC because of their god awful NASCAR coverage and their penchant to cancel good TV series before giving them a chance, you could call it a love hate relationship much like I have with the thread subject matter. They'd be a good match for each other tbh.

a project of this magnitude, in the middle of one of the most dense and congested cities in the world, on some of the most expensive land in the world? Never going to happen and it never was.

Which is why the site wasn't in London, and was targetted at low quality estuary land.
The site is excellent for the idea, with access to local and international rail, motorways and likely a new Thames crossing... but it needs more reason to exist than just a good site.
It need an idea like a Nintendo Park, Harry Potter World, Middle Earth etc. (not suggesting any of those are realistic, just the type of IP) to drag in the punters; and there is no sign of them pulling that together.

Which is why the site wasn't in London, and was targetted at low quality estuary land.
The site is excellent for the idea, with access to local and international rail, motorways and likely a new Thames crossing... but it needs more reason to exist than just a good site.
It need an idea like a Nintendo Park, Harry Potter World, Middle Earth etc. (not suggesting any of those are realistic, just the type of IP) to drag in the punters; and there is no sign of them pulling that together.
Because it's technically beyond the sign that reads "welcome to Kent" on less than desirable land, doesn't mean it's not still very expensive land in area that can only be accessed for most of the population via transport links that are already running massively over capacity.

Because it's technically beyond the sign that reads "welcome to Kent" on less than desirable land, doesn't mean it's not still very expensive land in area that can only be accessed for most of the population via transport links that are already running massively over capacity.

Hi i cant see where the arguement for the transport links being kver capacity will come from... First of all parades will be aimed at keeping visitors beyond rush hour which should help traffic off the roads till the tunnels (including the new tunnel) can flow freeley (the bridge has alot less congestion flowing into kent in thr morning.) The train service and speed is second to none from central london. As a user and local of HS1 i can say its always fast, efficent and ive never been forced to stand, the station at ebbsfleet is big modern and spacious so it would cope easily. Bluewater is on the doorstep (europes largest shopping center) the area is covered with bus lanes and the like and provides 60 public buses per hour so some of that infrastructure is already in place. Couple that with the proposed monorail i cant see there being any issue with transport to the site just 15 mins from central london.

Another story,

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/uk-disneyland-could-open-within-14400508

A Hollywood-style theme park, excitedly dubbed 'UK Disneyland', could open within the next five years, just an hour's drive from Guildford.

Costing £3.5 billion, the Paramount theme park could open in 2023 in the Swanscombe Peninsula in Dartford, Kent and welcome some 40,000 tourists a day, The Mirror reports.

Anew partner, Intercontinental Hotel Group, has come on board to operate the more than 3,500 hotel rooms on the site.

The company is due to make an application for planning permission in 2017. If the government approves the plans, the park could open in 2023.

That's typical of the Sorry Error, sorry I mean Surrey Mirror group. Most of their articles are either republished or submitted pieces.