• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

M&D's Incident June 2016

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/l...tition-mds-closed-8355174#zJh5Ctc0x2qrLp1O.97
I'm surprised that the petition wasn't set up on the same day. Had it been AT I'm sure there would have been one within the hour.

M&D’s have paid around £100,000 compensation to almost 20 people injured at the park in the last five years, according to lawyers.
They say they dealt with claims for serious injuries suffered on various rides, including scars and broken bones.
Patrick McGuire, of Thomsons solicitors, said: “People suffered a wide range of injuries, including a broken arm, fractured wrist, broken ribs, a broken nose and teeth.
“In one or two instances people have been left scarred, with one suffering permanent scarring to the face. An accident of the nature of the one which happened at the weekend was waiting to happen.”

Wow! Except for a busted ankle when I decided to jump off the train at RITA and I nailed the worse landing ever, I feel quite lucky to have never experienced any kind of injury at a Theme Park.

This was also referenced in the above article.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...carred-like-shark-8337827#yr8XQJD5F1jfdgg4.97

Only £100k for the whole compensation? I'm surprised just how low it that is as I'm sure it might've been more. Then again if it was that for each of the victims involved then I take it back.

Only £100k for the whole compensation? I'm surprised just how low it that is as I'm sure it might've been more. Then again if it was that for each of the victims involved then I take it back.
Might be wrong, but I think it's £100k for all the accidents in the last 5 years excluding the derailment incident. Reading through, it looks like £100k is the compensation for broken bones, cuts, and other injuries suffered in past accidents. I gathered that the article is just trying to state how unsafe the park is by listing past accidents.

Might be wrong, but I think it's £100k for all the accidents in the last 5 years excluding the derailment incident. Reading through, it looks like £100k is the compensation for broken bones, cuts, and other injuries suffered in past accidents. I gathered that the article is just trying to state how unsafe the park is by listing past accidents.

That's how I read it.

I was just shocked that there were 20 accidents that warranted a pay out. I can't imagine many were in the last year as since last June any theme park injury would have been reported. I wonder how that tallies with other parks?

Funny we should bring up the inspector as where I work, I've heard a few stories about this inspector (true or not) that the guy was a danger who rather than check every nook and cranny to see if the ride is fit, that the guy instead would just simply look at it and make the assumption that the ride is 'fine'. :fearful:

If that's the case and the inspector has done the same for the rest of the ride lineup, then the bloody park itself could be a potential liability! Mind you, if this is the same guy they've had over the years inspecting their rides then it would explain somewhat why the rides are all in a rusty condition, not even Merlin would've done something like that!

If those stories are true, then surely HSE could impose a prohibition notice on the park's entire operations until they've conducted a thorough inspection of every single one, though it's entirely possible that ADIPS passed them off as OK. Which, if that's the case, is a bit concerning!

Here's the Press Association release (rather than linking to the Daily Fail :p) from 18th July:

HSE BANS SAFETY INSPECTOR AS PART OF ROLLERCOASTER CRASH INQUIRY
Press Association Scotland

A safety inspector has been given a temporary ban as part of the probe into a rollercoaster crash which left children seriously injured.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has issue a prohibition notice banning the independent operator from carrying out any more inspections while its investigation into the crash last month at M&D's theme park at Strathclyde Country Park, Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, continues.
Fairground owners who have had rides inspected by the man, who has not been named by the HSE, have been told to take "appropriate action".
Eight children and two adults were taken to hospital after the Tsunami ride derailed and plunged 20ft to the ground on Sunday June 26.
Three children were said to be in a serious condition.
HSE said in a statement: "HSE is currently investigating the crash of the Tsunami ride at M&D theme park on Sunday June 26 and will continue to work closely with Police Scotland and the Crown Office while the cause of the incident is established.
"As part of the ongoing investigation, HSE has taken enforcement action against an independent fairground ride inspector.
"They have been served with a prohibition notice which prevents them from undertaking any inspection of fairground rides until the condition of the prohibition notice is fulfilled.
"HSE is working with industry bodies to ensure all fairground owners are aware of the prohibition notice.
"Ride owners directly affected by this individual's work are being contacted through industry bodies to ensure they are able take any appropriate action that is necessary."
Indoor areas of the amusement park have reopened since the crash but outdoor sections and all rides remain closed.
A spokeswoman for M&D's said: "We're unable to comment on any decisions taken by HSE."

What's the chances of the main park actually reopening now? Towers was closed for a week, and that was considered a long time by some. The parks been closed for a month, with only the managers promise that it (along with tsunami) will reopen. Can't say I'll be suprised if it doesn't reopen.

Well, if what QTXAdsy said is true, then I think public trust in M&D's will completely evaporate (though it's arguably pretty low anyway), and they'll have no option but to close down. Wouldn't surprise me either if the HSE impose a prohibition notice on the entire park if one hasn't been served already.

The difference is, it was Alton's choice to close for the 5 days, where as these guys have been forced to close by the HSE. That in itself says a lot.

With what I said earlier about the rest of M&D's rides at the park having been checked by the same inspector and being liabilities, does it include their rides currently out on the fairground circuit having to be suspended if they were 'inspected' by the same guy, then they might be forced on having to pull the touring rides from any selected dates they could be on. Yet another blow for them perhaps.

Don't traveling rides have to be re-inspected at each venue before the fair opens?

Don't traveling rides have to be re-inspected at each venue before the fair opens?

TBH, not sure really. Either way, with the park being shut down, the traveling rides are or might be the only source of income for them so if anything happens to those rides, they are then surely up the creek.

If they weren't up the creek without a paddle before the incident on Tsunami, then surely they must be by now!

Don't travelling rides have to be re-inspected at each venue before the fair opens?
I spoke to a fair guy when shopping. (a travelling fair has its workshops just outside town)
Depending on the ride depends of the inspection time scale. usually 12 months period between a major strip down and check. The protocol they use are. Each time the ride is built up, it has to be checked for visual damage then checked for correct set up by a staff member trained on building it up that was not involved in setting it up that time around.
he did not say if the protocol they use was legally binding practice, or their own safety system.

Last edited: