• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Magic Mountain 2013: "Full Throttle" terrain hugging launch coaster

Sam

TS Member
I'm sure I already made this topic, but maybe it was over on TTF...

Ride's being announced on Thursday.

Magic Mountain said:
Guess What's Coming to the Park in 2013.

Stay tuned...biggest announcement of the year coming August 30

What new attraction do you think is coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain for the 2013 season? We won’t reveal the new items until August 30, but we promise it’s going to be amazing, just like in years past. We like to keep you guessing, so tell us what you think is coming to the park next season.

What can you expect for the 2013 season? Here’s a reminder of the previous attractions we’ve launched throughout the years:

In 2008, we transformed X into a 5th dimension thrill ride, X2, featuring state-of-the-art visual, audio, and sensory effects with rotating seats and face down drops. Then we invited you into a post-apocalyptic future as we launched Apocalypse. This wooden coaster takes riders around 2,850 feet of track, including five hills, six banked turns, two dark tunnels, fiery special effects, and a station fly-through.

2011 brought three new rides. SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton accelerates from zero to 100 mph in just seven seconds, blasts you backwards up a 415-foot-tower, pauses for a birdseye view at the top, and plunges you back down to earth in 6.5 seconds of weightlessness. We also debuted the first vertical spinning coaster in the U.S.—GREEN LANTERN: First Flight, which spins riders through 828 feet of twisted vertical track. That same year, we unveiled our family-friendly steel coaster, Road Runner Express, which takes mild thrill seekers 28 feet in the air and pushes them around the 679-foot track at 21 mph.

Most recently, we opened LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom. As the world’s tallest vertical drop ride, riders are pulled 400 feet high to the top of the SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton tower, pause briefly for a moment of anticipation, then plunge back down at 85 mph—all while the SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton cars blast up the same tower.

We can’t reveal our new attraction yet, but we can tell you that 2013 is going to be no exception to the great new attractions we’ve brought over the years. What do you think we will announce on August 30?

The ride has now been anounced-

Full Throttle: The World’s Tallest and Fastest Looping Coaster

In 2013 Six Flags Magic Mountain is going Full Throttle with another world-record: the tallest, fastest looping roller coaster in the world! Unlike traditional coasters, this unique, one-of-a-kind triple launch coaster will take the coaster experience to the next generation with a never-been-done-before launch up and over a “Top Hat” that traces the outside of a world-record 160-foot loop — plus a zero to 70 miles-per-hour acceleration on two forward launches and one backward launch into and out of an underground tunnel.

Your record-breaking adventure will take place through the park’s distinctive mountainous terrain onboard sleek trains that suddenly accelerate from zero to 70 miles-per-hour in the first of three launches, sending you blasting through the first inversion, the inside of the world-record 160-foot tall loop. You’ll then enter into a high-banked curve to the right and then to the left as you approach the second gut-wrenching inversion — a Dive Loop that rapidly drops you into a dark underground tunnel. After a brief stop, you’ll suddenly be launched backwards up to the high point of the Dive Loop where you’ll be dropped and magnetically launched a third time, racing out of the tunnel and through a high G-turn to the left. You’ll then shoot up and over the outside of the World Record loop, where you’ll experience significant air time and a breath-taking view of the park as you drop back down to Earth, rapidly decelerating and taking the final 180-degree turn to the left, returning to the station where you can catch your breath.

Full Throttle will be located near the front of the park in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy action through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. With this addition, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.

“Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in next generation thrills. And, bar none, Six Flags Magic Mountain leads the pack, offering the biggest and the best … always,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain park president. “As we mark our 42nd anniversary of operation, we’re ready to take Southern California by storm, yet again, with the most comprehensive collection of thrilling roller coasters anywhere in the world.”

Full Throttle is the perfect addition to the park’s coaster collection, joining other adrenaline-pumping coasters, including Tatsu — the tallest, fastest and longest flying coaster in the world; X2 — the world’s first and only 5th dimensional coaster; Apocalypse — the next generation of wooden coasters; and Goliath — the “giant among giants” mega coaster.

Video

http://content.sixflags.com/newfor2013/ ... -throttle/

Video embed:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZcHQT_q58&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

This is utterly bonkers!

Backwards launch then a roll-back into a forwards launch? A huge loop with track bolted onto each side of the spine?! This looks amazing, paradigm shifting even. Well done Premier!

I love how random and pointless the backwards launch is <3

Looks fab... If short but tbh, it doesn't need anything else...

The backwards launch element is such a weird idea! But 'rolling launches' are awesome.

I think at the end of the day, it's not as good as everyone was hoping when rumours were spreading of three launches, and it being one of the world's longest coasters.

But it's definitely not as bad as everyone was fearing when there were rumours that it'd basically be the new Superman coaster but bigger.

That is mental! :eek: This clearly looks better than Gatekeeper and I love the creativity in this; A backwards lanuch and a airtime hill built on top of the loop?! Well done SFMM!

Damn it! I was thinking about a ride with one spine but two rails, although admittedly, it was for a duelling B&M with an inverted on one side of the spine and a floorless on the top. :p

Either way, this looks great and I bet it will cost them hardly anything in comparison to the same thing from either B&M or Intamin. Not that B&M would even consider doing this. :p

I think the only way this could be any more awesome, would be if it was timed so that two trains were entering the top hat/loop at the same time, worlds most photogenic coaster anyone?

I'm curious if they could cut out the backward launch on busy days to improve the throughput. As interesting as that section looks I wouldn't mind missing it out if it means half the length of time queueing.

If you rode it without the backwards launch, would you have really 'ridden it'? Would that count as a credit? Would riding it again on 'A-mode' count as a second credit?

Interesting point Tim.

This makes me want to go to SFMM even more! It looks amazing, that loop with the hill on top l
ooks breathtaking! Looks great! :)

Sam said:
If you rode it without the backwards launch, would you have really 'ridden it'? Would that count as a credit? Would riding it again on 'A-mode' count as a second credit?

Interesting point Tim.
Interesting point Sam, I hadn't thought of it in terms of credit.

I was basing it more off of Mystery Castle and the multiple rides. I never considered that those different rides could count as a different ride. Now I'm wondering if you built a drop ride (like Th13teen) with different drop sequences if that would count as a different ride for each cycle. Or what about when you ride half way round a ride then it breaks down and you never complete the circuit.

I think if I rode it without the backwards sections I'd consider it like when I rode Sub-Terra on opening day. I told people I'd ridden it but refused to review it as I hadn't had the whole experience.

What's there of this coaster looks great, I just can't help but feel there's not much of it. Considering it is being marketed as having 3 launches it is very short. It seems such a waste to put in breaks straight after the airtime hill after the final launch, they could have done so much more. I still think it will be a great coaster but it could have been so much more.

One think I do love about this though is how the "top hat" is on the outside of the loop, that is very clever and should look fantastic.

:)

I'd count it as a credit if you went straight through the 3rd launch, I suppose it's just the same as verbolten with the 3 different themes/ story's during the indoor section.

Rob said:
One think I do love about this though is how the "top hat" is on the outside of the loop, that is very clever and should look fantastic.

If possible to sync both the loop and the fly-over it would look even better.

The backwards launch is rather original and should add a substantial element of surprise to a lot of riders.

DiogoJ42 said:
Eh? are you saying it's not a credit because of the backwards bit?

No, he's saying he'd still count it as a credit, even if they turned off the backwards bit for throughput improvements. :)

Mi-Nigle said:
Rob said:

The backwards launch is rather original and should add a substantial element of surprise to a lot of riders.

Would imagine it would have to be quite a serene launch so as not to cause excessive G's on the neck over the restraints.

The Psychoaster said:
Mi-Nigle said:
Rob said:

Would imagine it would have to be quite a serene launch so as not to cause excessive G's on the neck over the restraints.

They tell you to hold on tight for a reason, Bullet's backwards launch was anything but serene! Don't forget, there are brake runs out there that are probably more powerful than the backwards launch on this, it only looks to be about 50mph as you don't even clear the previous high point!