• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

Are these the fields directly to the right of ATH?

Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

SamJ said:
Are these the fields directly to the right of ATH?

No - these are on Car Parks O and P, behind Car Park J.

They are fields, but for car parking - they are never used.

Sazzle said:
Ready meals and Pot Noodles a-plenty then eh?

Just looking through the documents, and for the £18,265 planning application fee they've paid I'm putting a bit of faith in the fact everything has been thoroughly thought out, and battled over in meetings.

Indeed, in one of the documents it talks about meetings with the local council and how quite a few things have been changed after discussions with local planning officers.

Which basically *kind of* agrees it in principal, as it it looked likely it wouldn't get approved they simply wouldn't submit the final planning application. :)

They said at TTF@10 they have no end of meetings with the council before they even think about submitting a planning application for anything. I think thats the case for most big companies really.

I'm pretty sure they now only ever submit applications that are at least 95% certain of being approved. They will work closely with the council to come to and end product that is going to be acceptable.

:)

This has been published today by the sentinel, it's looking good so far :)

Alton Towers to build 'fairytale' holiday village
Wednesday, November 21, 2012The SentinelFollow
By Dave Knapper

ALTON Towers has revealed multi-million pound plans to build 150 accommodation lodges as part of a new 'fairytale' holiday village.
Seventy-five jobs will be created by the latest development at the theme park.

TOURISM: An artist's impression of one of the proposed lodges.
The accommodation – which includes lodges and huts – will be designed on a fairytale theme.
Play areas and a restaurant will also be included in the sprawling holiday village to the north of the theme park's two hotels.
The planning application comes as the attraction prepares to open its new £18 million rollercoaster in March.
Latest figures show 20,000 people are visiting Alton Towers every day during its busiest periods.
An Alton Towers spokesman said: "The accommodation is based on myths and legends and the increasing popularity of children's adventure stories and fairytales.
"It will conjure up images of accommodation in a far-off magical land."
Alton Towers – which employs around 2,000 people during its peak summer season – has 391 rooms at its two hotels. Its planning application is aimed at meeting demand for additional overnight accommodation.
Tourists will be ferried to the accommodation by staff in golf-style buggies to ensure the area remains a vehicle-free zone.
The first phase of the scheme will see the creation of 16 double lodges, 64 huts and five 'holes'.
The second part of the development will see an additional 18 double lodges and 47 huts.
The planning application states: "As with the existing established hotels, the new lodge accommodation within the theme park environment has allowed a great deal of flexibility in terms of the design.
"In this case a totally new concept in the resort's accommodation by providing individual lodges in a virtually car-free environment, within the resort."
Tourism leaders today welcomed the planned development. Staffordshire's tourism sector employs more than 46,000 people directly and indirectly in the county.
County Councillor Pat Corfield, who is also involved with the Destination Staffordshire tourism scheme, said: "The proposed expansion presents a great opportunity to grow Staffordshire's tourism and increase employment."
WaterWorld owner and Destination Staffordshire ambassador Mo Chaudry said: "This is very positive and a real shot in the arm during these economic times.
"For sometime Alton Towers has been branding itself as a resort.
"In this scheme it is combining Disney and Center Parcs and broadening its appeal to as wide a market as possible."

They said that the lodges were to built around lakes, did they not?
Therefore, does anyone think that the small lakes could be used for small activities, such as fishing, to add a more relaxed atmosphere?

If you think about it, people could still go fishing after 6pm in the Summer when the park closes, which gives the guests an extra activity to do for little cost to Alton themselves.

The lakes could also be used during the Winter months just for added decoration, with hidden Halloween items in them for Scarefest, and simply frosted over for Christmas!

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

There will be two ponds on the planned site, I believe, one of which has a nice little bridge over it, but I can't see something like fishing appealing to a family market (maybe that's just the vegetarian in me?) and from memory I'm not sure they'd be big enough!

Having a SEA LIFE too I don't think the park would condone fishing! :p

I didn't mean catch and cook!
I just meant catch and put back so they could swim around nice and happily...

Anyway, what events do you think could be put on for entertainment?
I highly doubt campfires will be allowed with health and safety, but what about sing-a-longs for children?

I was just thinking of temporary events whist phase two is being developed.

Personally I don't think there will be any kind of ''new'' entertainment untill the second phase is complete. During the building process of the second phase I can see them building the new entertainment complex or a different venue completely.

The park really do now need to consider what they have to offer at the hotels with the lodges being built and how they can build upon they're current ones. With the capacity increasing not only on resort could we see the water park being even more rammed than it already is today? I know the park said in the TTF 10 meet that it wasn't on the cards to extend it but could it be potentially on the cards now?

Lovely article, which is full of positive praise for the proposals.

:)

Lodge project being held off??????

Just been reading some other theme park sites and apparently some absolute miserable idiots local residents have complained about the lodge proposal! Apparently the Whiston action group are making a formal presentation against the project for no apparent reason. I am really annoyed by this and I am sure other TTers and TTFers feel the same. Sharpen your pitchforks!

Source: http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20121122/12293/theme-park-news-round-22nd-november-2012

I think fishing would be a rather cool thing for them to offer. Obviously catch and put back, not keep.

Could get a bit of money from renting out equipment, and it'd be a cool way to spend a summer evening for those who are that way inclined.

Reading that artical about the complaints wont the council take into consideration how much tourism Alton brings to the village and town as a whole and this could boost that further to keep people coming back surley?

If this does get disapproved I will not be happy!

I have a feeling we've heard from the Whiston Action Group before? Not sure if they were one of the groups against SW7 (listed on the notes of the full planning document) or I might be thinking of another occasion.

Anyway I'll read what they've got to say If I get the chance and post a list of the key points if I do. I seem to remember them being a fairly decent group that are worth listening to (that is assuming if they are the people I am thinking of).

I pored over the documents over the course of a few days, and I actually didn't see a mention of cost. Was there anything mentioned in the LTDP about budgets for 2014 in general? Though I actually expect the Lodge development to have a seperate budget, as its Resort side and nothing (neccessarily) to do with the park's 'pot'.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.