• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Ride Closures 2016

I am concerned that the family with children aged in the 8-12 region are really being crippled this year.

I don't think I would even recommend a trip to Alton Towers for those.

Which is exactly the point I made when emailing them regarding it.

I am concerned that the family with children aged in the 8-12 region are really being crippled this year.

Not great for families with kids in that age bracket that have already booked a Hotel/B&B Stays or purchase annual passes.

There website is still misleading, it gives the impression that all these rides will be available unless you scroll over the pic and then the info comes up, not good! :(

surely if they were aware of it they would re-think their plans?

The fact is, Alton Towers have clearly got to save money this year. This will be coming from the parent company. They aren't closing rides left, right and centre because the management think it will make everyone's day out better.

They have little choice in the matter after the diabolical year in 2015 which resulted in guest visitation dropping by hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of guests.

:(

on the website, on each closed ride's profile, it says this: "(ride name) is currently unavailable while we sprinkle some Towers Loving Care across the theme park. Visit our blog for more details about our ongoing refurbishment programme across the Resort.", implying that all the announced ride closures are to do with the TLC program.

They have little choice in the matter after the diabolical year in 2015 which resulted in guest visitation dropping by hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of guests.

:(

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but didn't Merlin still made a healthy profit last year that many business would be envy of?

on the website, on each closed ride's profile, it says this: "(ride name) is currently unavailable while we sprinkle some Towers Loving Care across the theme park. Visit our blog for more details about our ongoing refurbishment programme across the Resort.", implying that it is do to with the TLC program.

Whilst the TLC programme is genuine, the closure of these rides is being masked by the TLC programme. Don't be under any illusions - the rides being shut are largely due to financial constraint.

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but didn't Merlin still made a healthy profit last year that many business would be envy of?

Indeed, but Merlin is a large company made up of many divisions. Alton Towers itself did anything but make a healthy profit.

I can understand if they were making a lost, but just a bunch of greedy fat cats that seems to want to make savings just because they haven't met their predicted profit forecast as well as keeping it shareholders happy. It's about time that they think of the paying customers as we are the ones that are lining their pockets!

Indeed, but Merlin is a large company made up of many divisions. Alton Towers itself did anything but make a healthy profit.

Irrelevant.

(Though I understand your point you're making across multiple posts, so not aimed at you).

This shows a very naive approach to business, given they're making such a huge profit margin, this seems almost juxtaposed.... UNLESS of course... they'd don't care about your experience as a customer.

Then it shows a level of contempt for their visitors WHO ARE SHOWING FAITH in a park that has suffered from bad publicity!!

WHO exactly thinks that is a good idea?

A bean counter. That's who. Who doesn't give a crap about the customers experience.

And when you're running an ENTERTAINMENT company, that person should be hoisted by their petard!!

Once people catch wind of what's happening they'll start losing profit as a lot of people, parents especially, will say it's not worth visiting any more

You reward your loyal customers. Especially in bad times.

YOU DO NOT SCREW THEM.

Is this hard to understand?

I can scarcely believe the amateurish way in which these ride closures have been communicated.

Hardware gets old, attractions need to be replaced, but to string their punters along for so long the way they have is a bad move.

Early honesty would have been better.

I agree. Someone must have realised how bad the closures are going to look and thought. "I know, more fences and a paint job, that'll distract people"

I understand things must be really tight for them this year but they must understand people respect and deserve honesty.

They should have released a statement explaining the closures and the reasons for them at the start of the year.

I agree. Someone must have realised how bad the closures are going to look and thought. "I know, more fences and a paint job, that'll distract people"

I understand things must be really tight for them this year but they must understand people respect and deserve honesty.

I still think the TLC thing was probably hard fought for, and wont be specifically aligned to those ride closures.

They deserve more than honesty, they deserve the rides they've paid for to be open.

Complete joke!!! So we had a bad year last year, what should we do???? I know close six rides so even less people come!!! I feel for all those people who fell for all those offers on website for discounted breaks only to find a load of the park not operating. Perhaps they need to contact Mirror or the Mail to tell their story just in time to give some bad press for Alton towers just in time for new season. They have only themselves to blame as they could have disclosed this earlier and be seen as honest!! SHAME ON WHO DECIDED THIS!!! I can see the headlines now with queues at customer service desk in the mirror. I bet Nick wont be there to help after his ride on the Smiler do you?????