• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Ride Closures 2016

I feel that a lot of the GP seem to think that Galactica is a "new" ride as most of the media seem so damn insistent on calling it that.

Now, for those occasional visitors who believe it's new, when they get there and realise that Galactica is in fact just air with VR I can imagine a fair share will be irritated. You then couple that with the fact that so many other rides are gone and a lot of people are going to ask what they're paying for exactly?!

I fear of a downward spiral.
A vicious circle...

That started a few years ago.

We still don't know what other surprise cuts will appear on opening day this time next week.

Alton loves to sweep everything under the carpet, bury their heads in the sand and then when we think they are doing something positive with the park, they then pull the rug from under our feet at the last minute.

Now that we know that these ride closures are now official, it would be nice to know if these are temporary (which is the likely case) and when they plan to get them open again. May be they will only open them up on extremely busy days to take pressure off the other queue lines.

Only last week I was speaking to someone that I knew that visit theme parks and was talking about visiting Alton this year. she did not have a clue or knew anything of rides closures and midweek park closures. I can imagine there will be quiet a lot of angry people, especially if they have taken time to organise time off work/school etc.. and having to travel a fair distance to only get to the gates to find out the park is either closed or if it was open to find out a number of the rides are closed.

My main concern with this is that if they can do this for one season, what's going to stop them from keeping these rides closed indefinitely? Hex is my biggest concern, it would be a massive shame to never see that reopen.

Totally agree on Hex. It really depends what the long term plan is. To say as part of TlC is great but what is the end goal

My main concern with this is that if they can do this for one season, what's going to stop them from keeping these rides closed indefinitely? Hex is my biggest concern, it would be a massive shame to never see that reopen.
I'll be so dissapointed if Hex never re-opens, as it's one of my favorite rides in the park! also, as i said in an earlier post, if it closed for good it would probably be SBNO, as replacing it would be very difficult due to it's vast size, location and the historical building it's located in.

A statement from At would be useful...we have closed x no. Of rides to do x things to them and will be reopening them in due course....the wording is crap and on face value your paying more for less. I am sure this is not the longer term plan however. Why put so much effort into tlc else

We know that the CATCF has more to do with the IP running out as oppose to TLC

Hex has probably more to do with it's parking problems.

NST more to do with fitting different restraints to prevent guest trying to disembark from the ride whilst its in motion, only to find that the new restraints prevents above average size people from riding it.

I presume the rest has more to do with the fact that these rides do not generate enough queue line to warrant selling fast track tickets.

I don't mind these rides being closed for TLC or maintenance etc.. if this is going to benefit the park long term, but please be open and honest with us so that we all can make an inform decision for planning our next trip to the park.

i think they ought to put a new ride in Katanga Canyon, as it's only got two rides. maybe they could fit a flat/tower ride in the middle of the Rapids?

For what it's worth I've had a reply from AT ensuring me that the park has many exciting attractions to come in future, especially in regards to the replacement for the Flume.

Make of that what you will but it at least suggests there is a plan in place for its replacement.

I fear of a downward spiral.
A vicious circle...

Fear? I was ranting (yes, me) about it from the moment I joined this forum, the trend was obvious to me years ago.

From F&B to cost cutting.

This is one thing I HATE being right about. I really do wish they'd proven me wrong.

EDIT:

Wait, Wobble World as well?!

What the?

As reported by TS on FB, the ride queue times have been updated to reflect availability and I must say that the Thrill list looks very dismal :(

http://ridetimes.co.uk/
Also confirms that sonic will return to spinball whizzer. At least it might look a little better once airs put back on, and I'm hoping that they're planning to increase the list soon.
It's all important. Especially if you're a family with young children
While I agree with you here, I was under the impression after reading @AstroDan post that it would be a ride (expecting to find out TT had closed or something). At least it's not something that everyone can enjoy like hex or flume.

EDIT: hmm... just realised I've posted something optimistic... something must be wrong with me.

Also confirms that sonic will return to spinball whizzer.
on the website, it's currently still listed as the "Sonic Spinball", and sonic is still in the background of the page. it will probably change soon, though.

on the website, it's currently still listed as the "Sonic Spinball", and sonic is still in the background of the page. it will probably change soon, though.
It will. As it will be called Spinball Whizzer as shown on RideTimes.

-----

Yes the thrill list looks a little low but it's missing Galactica currently. At least all the rides on it will be open this season rather than having Sub Terra and Smiler sat on there with 'CLOSED' next to them for most of the year.