• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Ride Closures 2016

Irrelevant.

(Though I understand your point you're making across multiple posts, so not aimed at you).

This shows a very naive approach to business, given they're making such a huge profit margin, this seems almost juxtaposed.... UNLESS of course... they'd don't care about your experience as a customer.

Then it shows a level of contempt for their visitors WHO ARE SHOWING FAITH in a park that has suffered from bad publicity!!

WHO exactly thinks that is a good idea?

A bean counter. That's who. Who doesn't give a crap about the customers experience.

And when you're running an ENTERTAINMENT company, that person should be hoisted by their petard!!
Unfortunately, the world is now run by self appointed, boring, humourless, grey suited, po faced beuracrats

I don't like bean counters anymore than you do. They think a qualification in accounting makes them an expert on everything.

IT DOESNT AND UNFORTUNATELY THIS YEAR'S GATE FIGURES WILL SHOW THAT.

THE FORTHCOMING KICK IN THE PANTS MAY BE JUST WHAT'S NEEDED.

Last edited:
Are you reading this Merlin? Families are already changing their minds about visiting

Are you reading this Merlin? Families are already changing their minds about visiting
Unfortunately, the accountant mentality will see a reduction in business as a need to reduce costs, rather than a need to invest in winning back guests.

An entrepreneur mentality is what's needed right now. No business grows without investment and calculated risk.

Its the ones who will just turn up and have very disappointed children I feel truly sorry for. If I just turned up with my daughter and found out on the day five of her fave rides had gone, she would be in tears :(
It's pretty disgusting the way they've gone about things. I'm not a parent but if I was I'd be furious, especially if I'd pre-booked or paid for full price tickets on the day.

I imagine a lot of families will spend most of their time walking around trying to find something suitable for them all to enjoy, and ride after ride being unavailable just isn't on if they don't make it perfectly clear.

OK we knew this was coming as we all heard the rumours a few months ago, but hearing official confirmation so close to opening season is beyond belief!

If a couple of rides down last year had such a big impact on guest numbers, then what will the guest numbers be like this year knowing that even more rides will be down. And if guest numbers drop as a result of this, then what will they do, "Oh lets save more money and close more rides and shut the park for a few more days through out the season"

Surely they knew this a few months ago and they could have been a bit more forthcoming to the potential guest to allow then to make an inform decision when it came to booking overnight stays, tickets and passes.

Right now you wouldn't have a clue just by browsing the website unless you clicked on each individual ride. Its bordering on mis-selling!

The management team don't give two hoots

images
:p

Last edited:
It's pretty disgusting the way they've gone about things. I'm not a parent but if I was I'd be furious, especially if I'd pre-booked or paid for full price tickets on the day.

I imagine a lot of families will spend most of their time walking around trying to find something suitable for them all to enjoy, and ride after ride being unavailable just isn't on if they don't make it perfectly clear.

I fully agree and I'm a parent, all three of my kinds are grown up now, but I'm still furious by the way they have treated us loyal and dedicated customers. I've ran my own successful business for over 35 years (now I've retired to look after my wife) and I would never have dreamed of treating any of my customers like this.

I am really torn between loyalties here.

This is not likely to be Towers' fault. I just can't believe anyone there would want this. The park DEFINITELY needed sorting out for obvious reasons. I WANT them to succeed desperately. I want to HELP them succeed, and not contribute to further problems that will just see Merlin be even MORE ridiculous.

However, this is also totally and completely unacceptable and it simply must be challenged.

I am not one to rush into actions that can be detrimental to places I love.

But don't for a moment imagine I will be sitting by doing nothing.

I just have to work out how to do it, and not further damage Alton Towers in the eyes of the public.

What I cannot get over is that the gate price has INCREASED while rides, attractions and food offering has been completely slashed. What exactly is the incentive for customers to come back to the park?

Oh yeah. Galactica. Right.

Well allow me to point out, on average, what the GP think of that. Basically is a sh!t idea, and no one cares. Couldn't give a damn how much Wardley has talked it up, he's clearly a sell out to try and help the park during this rough time. The whole idea is as bad as the Haunted House conversion to Duel.

The park is gonna suffer massively this year, and the management will realise their mistakes soon enough.

Families who are suckered in this year, only to leave with a car full of disappointed kids due to a lack of attractions between the Cbeebies and thrill demographic will be hard to win back even with huge family investments in the future.

Once trust is lost, it is hard to win back and harder to buy back. There are a lot of people who will not return on principal.

If ride closures are absolutely necessary to develop the park in the future that's fine, but deliberately misleading guests on ride availability until the last minute, and even then making the information hard to find is not.

I'm hoping visitor numbers don't increase significantly, otherwise that will justify what Merlin have done.

Really feel for the guest relations team next year, I certainly wouldn't want that job!

Families who are suckered in this year, only to leave with a car full of disappointed kids due to a lack of attractions between the Cbeebies and thrill demographic will be hard to win back even with huge family investments in the future.

Once trust is lost, it is hard to win back and harder to buy back. There are a lot of people who will not return on principal.

If ride closures are absolutely necessary to develop the park in the future that's fine, but deliberately misleading guests on ride availability until the last minute, and even then making the information hard to find is not.

Well there is a lot of competition out there as well.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is certainly a better overall deal for families compared to Alton Towers with its serious investment in Nickelodeon Land and already plentiful family level rides. Combined with cheaper tickets and a cheaper and better fastpass system.

Drayton Manor and Oakwood are both good for families as well.

Couldn't give a damn how much Wardley has talked it up, he's clearly a sell out to try and help the park during this rough time.

Not sure about this. Its the type of thing that he really likes. He is all about the "show" more than the raw ride and loves innovation likes this. I think he is genuine.

I don't get the negativity regarding Galactica. I am kind of excited to give it ago :)

Last edited:
My main gripe in all of this is the incredulous rise in the standard adult gate price.

I mean, "7 attractions closed and prices go up" simply does not look good.

Regardless of offers/online prices or anything else.

Alton Towers is probably not even the 3rd best park in the UK this year for families with children in the 1.2m+ but not yet 1.4m category.

It irritates me further because on one hand TLC is great, Smiler re-opening is great... but then this.