• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Marketing Future - Opinions Please!

MaxPower

TS Member
Hi Guys & Gals,

I'm currently using Alton Towers Resort as part of a University project and would appreciate some feedback on some ideas I've come up with as well as hearing what you would like to see happen in the future. This will be an ongoing project over the next couple of months and I will be compiling graphic visuals and documentation to demonstrate my ideas and how the park should evolve over the coming years.

1. The first aspect of the advertising campaign I require feedback on is the park logo; what are your opinions of it? How would you change it? What is your favourite of past logos?

Alton_Towers_Resort_Logo.png

2. I have done some early tweaked designs of the current logo to accommodate the 'Resort' tag in a different way and would appreciate feedback of these, what's good / bad and what you would change.

Alton_Logo.png

3. Winter Logo

Alton_Logo_Cold.png

4. Halloween Logo

Alton_Logo_Holloween.png

The current logo is rather good, can't think how I'd improve it.

With the other logos, I'm not a huge fan of the alternative resort font and the Scarefest one would have to be an event logo, but doesn't follow the brand perfectly as it misses the resort strapline.

:)

If I'm quite honest I don't think having the resort banner in gold works as well without the gold outline, it looks a bit out of place, as well as a slightly jumbled font.

I like the Scarefest logo and certainly think you're making progress with the winter logo, however I prefer the normal logo over your attempt.

keep the gold ring around the outside for the standard logo, then change it to green for scarefest.

Very nice. :) I wouldn't go as far to say I prefer your's to the current logos, but they would be a decent alternative. :D

I do quite like your logos actually!

Although if I was to be picky, I'd say the RESORT text needs to be in line, and the main logo should have the gold outer.

Nice designs, but I think if they update the logo, they need to change it completely rather than make minor tweaks. The current logo looks quite dated compared to the Thorpe logo, for example.

I would like to see the park come up with something completely new in the next few years. :)

Sam said:
Nice designs, but I think if they update the logo, they need to change it completely rather than make minor tweaks. The current logo looks quite dated compared to the Thorpe logo, for example.

I would like to see the park come up with something completely new in the next few years. :)

I have never ever disagreed with you more.

The logo is iconic, stylish and quality. Thorpes is terrible. They should never deviate too far from the current logo as it stands.

Dave said:
I have never ever disagreed with you more.

The logo is iconic, stylish and quality. Thorpes is terrible. They should never deviate too far from the current logo as it stands.

It's distinctly 'OK'. I wouldn't say it's particularly stylish (too busy and complicated) and it's very dated. What are those naff multicoloured stars shooting off it? And the weird geometric shapes?

The depiction of the towers and the text bits are alright (though Alton Towers needs to be in a cleaner font), but the rest is oddly low-quality, especially the shapes. Also, because of how 'busy' it is, it scales really badly, and is quite hard to make out when it's very small.

Compare to say, the Phantasia logo:

7udOPtW.jpg

Simple, elegant, modern and minimalist, but also distinctive due to the custom stylised lettering. A top logo.

sVcFffX.jpg

Not very modern, but clean and simple, without any extraneous 'fuss' around it. The grand style of the lettering deliberately positions the park at the top of the industry. Also, the 'flying stars' is wonderfully elegant, and simple, and can be used on its own without the text for flexibility.

w7gKsu2.jpg

Yet again, simple and elegant, with no unneeded ornamentation.

Compared to the above modern and minimalist designs, the Alton logo is very 90s, and has a 'complex' look that I don't think any other major European theme park has with their logo. Something new and simple - stripping away all the rubbish - would do the park's branding a world of good, imho. :)

Would a logo as simple as the above really work for Towers though?

For me at least it would feel very bland. Ignoring any 90s nostalgia attached to Towers, simple logos do work and are the 'in' thing although I don't think following the herd would be the right thing for Alton. Would make Towers very much feel like 'them' rather than being a park with it's own unique style. In an ironic sense it would feel too 'corporate'.

They could strip the current logo down. Although the font and Towers shapes are a must to stay, it's very iconic. I would be against a complete overhaul that involves the logo simply being a line of text.

The phantasia logo is a lesson in boredom, Disneyland has innumerable logos and EP's is a little dull too (but it's always surrounded by nice graphic art so you don't mind so much).

James said:
They could strip the current logo down. Although the font and Towers shapes are a must to stay, it's very iconic. I would be against a complete overhaul that involves the logo simply being a line of text.

I was thinking the same, and had made a start by the time I saw your post. I quite like the result personally; it's certainly much less fussy without all the stars and other fiddly shapes.

Towerslogosimplified_zps66e04ba4.jpg

I personally dislike any of the branding that features 'Resort'.

I understand why they have to do it as part of their business model nowadays, but it's not to my liking.

I don't even contemplate purchasing any merchandise that features the 'Resort'. This leaves me with a very small selection of potential purchases and I know I'm in a minority and Towers wouldn't care, but I just thought I'd share those thoughts with you lot for no apparent reason ;)

BarryZola said:
I personally dislike any of the branding that features 'Resort'.

I understand why they have to do it as part of their business model nowadays, but it's not to my liking.

I don't even contemplate purchasing any merchandise that features the 'Resort'. This leaves me with a very small selection of potential purchases and I know I'm in a minority and Towers wouldn't care, but I just thought I'd share those thoughts with you lot for no apparent reason ;)

So glad I'm not the only one!

It's tacky, grating and overused and probably the single worst aspect of Merlins branding.

'Alton Towers' is majestic and iconic. It does not need that word stuck on the end in which they have insisted upon since 2008.

I have no issue with them using the term resort but would rather it wasn't on the logo.

Resort won't be going anywhere. The whole theme park division of Merlin is called "Theme Park Resorts". One of their main priorities for all theme parks is to develop them into resorts and really push that idea.

I don't really have a problem with it. Towers is a resort and it's only going to develop more over the years to come.