• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Mars Curiosity Rover

Jem8472

TS Member
So here I am sitting on the laptop just before I have to leave for work watching another amazing moment in history. NASA are just starting the decent of the MCR to the surface of Mars!

Its all rather exciting, lets hope it all goes well!

:D

Its confirmed Touchdown has been completed on the surface of Mars!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Mars Curiosity Rover

Jem8472 said:
So here I am sitting on the laptop

Doesn't your laptop have a major overheating problem when you do that?

Sorry I had to!

Exciting stuff, how long did it take to get to mars out of interest?

Not long I suppose till human's will be chilling out on top of the red planet!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I heard that it took of September of 2011 and it was supposed to touchdown tomorrow. :)

Exiting news that this has landed successfully as I heard on a TV show that over half of these missions fail either to return or to even reach their intended location. :)

So we just landed a huge, nuclear powered, laser armed robot on mars....
That sure says "we come in peace".

Great news. Let's hope that NASA don't pull a Howard Wolowitz on Earth and crash it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLMQLSjp_s[/youtube]

Best time to announce it now when everyones's happy during the Olympics!

I wouldn't mind a trip to Mars, I think it could be good fun! I will be putting my name down when they want people to blast of for there!

We won't be going to Mars for a good few years yet. Obama cut Nasa's funds so they had to shelve the Orion and Ares projects. However, many think that once Obama is gone, Nasa will get their funding back and the Ares and / or Orion programmes will be ready to send astronauts back to the Moon by mid-late 2020's (it was supposed to be 2017 and into the 20's, but that is highly unlikely now). We won't be going to Mars until 2030. :(

I'm usually quite optimistic alas, I'm also a realist. For that reason, I'm left wondering if this will be the most expensive mistake in history? I mean, imagine if it found no signs of life...what-so-ever.

:-\

martians.jpg

...Yeah, should've went to Europa (the moon of Jupiter, not the park!)

BigAl said:
We won't be going to Mars for a good few years yet. Obama cut Nasa's funds so they had to shelve the Orion and Ares projects. However, many think that once Obama is gone, Nasa will get their funding back and the Ares and / or Orion programmes will be ready to send astronauts back to the Moon by mid-late 2020's (it was supposed to be 2017 and into the 20's, but that is highly unlikely now). We won't be going to Mars until 2030. :(

I don't really think that's a bad thing. It could be benificial for money and the ecosystem with efficient alternate fuels sources being tested daily a faster, cleaner fuel source. I do agree that 2030 is a realistic target but it's not a bad thing for the sake of the ecosystem and American taxpayers. Surely though since it'd take 500+ days to get to Mars it'd be 2031? :p

BigAl said:

It's not you paying for it. It's all very well you moaning that Obama wants to delay sending men to Mars after one of the worst recessions of the last century, but it's mostly American taxpayers who will have to foot the (hefty) bill. :)

Benedique said:
I'm usually quite optimistic alas, I'm also a realist. For that reason, I'm left wondering if this will be the most expensive mistake in history? I mean, imagine if it found no signs of life...what-so-ever.

:-\

At least we would then know that there is no life or has never been life on Mars. Just another piece of the jigsaw of how we came about and if other planets/moons in our solar system could have had life on them.

Things like this are always exciting! I am sure we will learn a lot about Mars from this mission let just hope they do find signs of life. :)

If America taxed religious institutions, we could send a rover every two weeks.

Worth thinking about.

New favourite Twitter account: https://twitter.com/SarcasticRover

"My nuclear-laser can VAPORIZE ROCKS… so I suggest you don't step to me. LOL JK, I long for personal contact."

"The first rule of MARTIAN ROVER CLUB is you can talk about it as much as you want because we're all alone and never going home."

"I love science so much, I just want to do all the science until there's just no more left to do. And then I want to be loved. LOL"

"I sent back 5MB of data to Earth today… it was an MP3 of "Bust a Move" by Young MC. LOL THEY HATE THAT SONG!"

"Is there an Olympic medal for looking at rocks and slowly dying?"

"Sure, I'll go to Mars and test radiation levels so we know it's safe for humans… I DON'T CARE IF I DIE! I'M EXPENDABLE! FML."

"Nothing like sunrise on Mars… HAHAHAHA I'm kidding! It's horrible, still cold, sun's far away, I'm so lonely!"

"Finally ready to start the day! Looking forward to staring at ****ing dirt for the next two years!"

"Just crushed a rock… Holy ****! It's made up of tiny smaller bits of rock!!! Science is amazing!"

On a related note, one of my favourite xkcd comics, about the Spirit Rover:

spirit.png

Makes me well up every time :'(

Sam said:
BigAl said:

It's not you paying for it. It's all very well you moaning that Obama wants to delay sending men to Mars after one of the worst recessions of the last century, but it's mostly American taxpayers who will have to foot the (hefty) bill. :)

Exactly! :)

Joking aside, Nasa's work is extremley important and they're responsible for quite a lot of technology, some of which many probably take for granted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

Exploring the Universe is something that mankind needs to do. If the UK had its own space programme then I wouldn't argue about money for it. They don't just fritter money away on unresolvable matters, they take mankind further and their work gives us a clearer understanding of the things around us too.

I'd also like to add that the bill isn't "hefty". To one person or cause, it may seem like a lot, but when you see where that money is going then it's no longer just another bill. The work that Nasa does is incredibly time consuming and difficult and it's all done by thousands and thousands of workers. The success of their work affects all of mankind. They don't just absorb money and then occasionally send a flimsy probe into space, it's complex work which receives very little praise in this day and age.

It's easy to fall-back on the age-old argument that there are more important matters that are closer to home, such as disease and poverty, etc..., but Nasa's work is for the benefit of mankind, not just for fun or for bragging rights. Simply throwing money at problems that are close to home is useless in the long run, whereas new technology and information is beneficial for longer periods.

As I stated above, we can thank Nasa for artificial limbs, improved baby food, better LED's, heart pump's for transplant patients, anti-freezing aircraft wings, grooves on roads for better grip, tires that are 5x as strong as they used to be, pH detectors, fire-resistant coatings (used by Apollo), lighter breathing equipment and heat-resistant gear for fire fighters, temper foam, the cordless vacuum and freeze-drying. That's ignoring the breakthrough's for the environment, agriculture, computers, and industrial productivity that were included in that link too.

There's also the small matter of taking mankind further (although that's not reeaaally very important at all, is it?) than it has ever gone before and improving our scientific knowledge with various tests and other discoveries . Oh, and not forgetting the billions of people that US space exploration has inspired over the past 50 years and the thousands of jobs that have come with it.

Take Apollo 8, for example. Had William Anders not taken that photo of Earth ('Earthrise', the very first picture of our planet), none of the 1000+ environmental acts that it gave-way to would have been realised. And we'd also have one less beautiful image of our home as well!

So when you understand what the money is used for at Nasa, it becomes clear that what they need isn't very much at all (especially when you see how much they spend on wars, etc...). But money shouldn't come into taking mankind one step further.

Edit: Could I also add that I spent $48 + entry at the Kennedy Space Center, just over three weeks ago. Some of that money goes to Nasa's programmes, so I actually did help them (even if it is just one drop in a vast ocean that's required to send their astronauts back into space). ;)

:)

Very very well said Al!

I have also been to KSC and it was an amazing place, I am sure if I go back to Orlando I will visit it again.

Its amazing to see even a small part of the work that NASA has done for the human race. Its one of the biggest and best contributions there has ever been!