• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass 'Sale'

I don't disagree with "VIP" stuff. What I am against is the wholesale, in your face, up-sell that just reminds you continually of everything you don't have with a Standard or Premium pass. It's the wording I object to, and the brash marketing practice, not the idea of what are actually premium, not VIP, services.

Do they valet park your car?

Offer you drinks upon your entry, and special area for you to sit with complimentary this or that?

They nearly get it right with fireworks as a special treat thing, so long as it doesn't encroach on the normal guest experience who pays plenty to visit already. Nothing wrong with those kinds of services at all. If you want to treat yourself or someone else, why not?

The "VIP" pass is not a VIP pass. That's not the worst though, it's the whole "VIP" rubbish that's everywhere - all over park, VIP this, VIP that - get this front row seat or that experience etc - all the while other people are looking at their pass thinking, well wtf am I paying for then?

That's more my point. There's nothing wrong with choosing different service packages depending on what you want, it's when it cheapens the experience of everyone else and actively advertises how it encroaches upon your experience as a normal paying guest, or different level card holder.

But then, that's EXACTLY why they do it. It's no mistake, it's a heinous attitude towards their other customers to cream off more coin.

Really crap attitude. Kind of things I'd stand face to face with Varney and challenge him on.

One day.... one day. (Not in a creepy way lol!)

VIP annual passes are limited to 1000, chances of one of those,people being in the park on the same day as me is slim. Therefore even if they do get offered the front row as well as their unlimited fast track, chances of me seeing it is very small. Although I agree that it doesn't look great pushing the "VIP" in front of everyone in the front row queue, most people,Rent going to know that there even is a higher level of pass.
I think if people want to pay for the seating at the fireworks then they should be able to, but this years viewing area was a bit more in the way compared to last year. If the price was closer to £20 on top of admission I might have used the VIP viewing.
But yes maybe they could word it as premium viewing area or similar.

I think the problem with the passes is that more and more people are buying them (probably because entry to the theme park goes up, but the passes are still really good value).

I believe the original reason for the standard and premium pass was because of London, and too many people turning up with passes in London. So they introduced the two passes, standard had no parking and no London in August (pretty much). However this has clearly meant over time more and more people have bought premium passes and less have bought standard, which leaves us with what we have now. A standard pass full of so many terms and cut off dates most people wouldn't know them, and a premium pass which also seems to be getting more and more terms.

They have kind of gone wrong with their whole system, prices have been too cheap and heavily promoted throughout the year, which has meant they have sold so many, meaning too many annual pass holders are turning up unexpected. Thorpe you now have to pre-book for any events no matter what pass you have, and the same seems to be happening to the London attractions.

It wouldn't surprise me if next year they introduce a new "premium" pass which once again has no real restrictions but at a higher cost than what we have now.

I don't think there are any restrictions on the premium passes to warrant a further pass with fewer. The only ones are Shrek (as it is a new attraction) and Fright Nights. Fright nights needs a method for premium holders to prebook so that passholders don't turn up and find the park shut to them. But I think the current method isn't working as it can "sell out" as passholders reserve slots they aren't going to use. But if I wanted to go to fright nights I would rather know I had something reserved instead of risking it on the day with a premium pass. Or just avoid fright nights on the days you know it's gonna sell out as it will be too busy!

Has anyone actually contacted Merlin Annual Pass about the renewal prices sent out in the email?

Has anyone actually contacted Merlin Annual Pass about the renewal prices sent out in the email?

If you read the Facebook page, lots of people are calling them ( @ 10p per minute, great news for Scamling ) and not getting anywhere. Apparently those that had the email have to print them out and take them with them to be honored the old price. I really, really, really hope the ASA and Watchdog get involved and give them a grilling.

What's hilarious about the whole thing is that £149 for 12 months unlimited entry to 31 attractions is a pretty damn good price.

In fact, had Merlin handled the whole charade better we probably wouldn't be complaining and would still be stating that the MAP is actually good value despite the price rise.

Because of their idiocy in sending out emails mere days before hiking the prices for 2015 (before we're even in 2015) and then slapping the word sale on it - we're all left bemused and angry...

Deary me. PR fail much?

I wonder if they had said "There is a new price for the 2015 pass, we decided to give our valued customers a chance to get your 2015 pass for the price of a 2014 pass in January 2015" we would a bit more excepting of this sale.

I think if they had just come clean and said that they will keep the price frozen (2014 price) until 1st January 2015 as a goodwill gesture to all its loyal customers, then people would have accepted this and felt "valued" and would have continued to give their loyalty and renew their card.

I think this ignorant, arrogant attitude from Merlin has really backfired on them this time.

This time? It happens every year. Then people forget by Feb half term and carry on handing their money over.

Probably because it's still very good value for money, for a similar cost to a EP AP you get many more attractions (not as good I agree), 20% discount (more than any other AP I know of in the world) and ERT.

It's great value, they just don't treat their existing customers with respect.

I'm still struggling to subscribe to people's grievances here, and I am far from pro-Merlin, but fair is fair.

The sale is for new passes and not renewals. The renewal price is more than last time..........prices do rise, I do not understand the issue really.

A lot of us got emails from Merlin stating a £93 renewal price... A few days later the 'sale' is £50 more than the advertised price...

Plus that it isn't really a sale in the first place this year, plus more changes to the limitations of the passes... It's all a bit mish mash from them...

I'm still struggling to subscribe to people's grievances here, and I am far from pro-Merlin, but fair is fair.

The sale is for new passes and not renewals. The renewal price is more than last time..........prices do rise, I do not understand the issue really.

Its not fair though - thats the whole point!!!! You cant put the price up on something then immediately tell everyone its a sale. Its not a sale. Its a prize freeze.

Think of it this way - that coat in Next you like, its £99.99 and on Boxing day you know there will be a sale. You go in Boxing day to buy it, there are "sale" signs up all over the place, and your coat you like has a "sale" ticket on it, but the price is £149.99. First, you would be extremely p'eed off, second, it would be against the law for the shop to do that. So why can Merlin?

Its a price freeze in sales clothing. I think the problem is merlin thinking we are thick enough to miss this blatant marketing spin.

It's not even a price freeze though! A remewal price freeze would still be £119, but it's just a price increase of £30 that they're calling a sale.

Forgive me, but the price of a new pass has fallen to £119/£149 - that is the sale.

The increased renewal price is not part of the sale, nor is it claiming to be (at least not any more if they initially did).

The renewal price has been matched to the price of new passes in the sale - it is obvious they would do that, but they are not claiming that renewals are on sale, despite the fact it is a reduced price compared to the new prices coming in from February. Nevertheless, it is not being presented as part of the sale.

Forgive me, but the price of a new pass has fallen to £119/£149 - that is the sale.

Sorry just noticed your comment about the new pass bit.

Just looking at last years prices:

====
Std pass : £159 Premium : £199
January 2014 sale prices were : £105 and £125 respectively

In December, people got emails telling them that prices were frozen for 2014.

However, December 26th, the prices went up

Std : £169 Premium : £209
December / January sale price : £119 and £149 respectively

That's what people are angry about - we are not past 2014 yet! Merlin seem to have decided their "year" is totally different to everyone else's and that new years day is infact the 26th December. While some people had emails alerting them, others didnt, and there was no mention of it on their website or facebook or twitter feeds. Some people had been told prices would go up on the 27th by the MAP team, some told not until January, basically the whole thing has been a complete shambles.

And its still not a sale - its a price freeze because the pass has to have been on sale at the higher price before it can be discounted.

All Merlin have to do is admit its been poorly communicated and on this occasion out of good will extend the 2014 until 1st January when it does actually start the new year and then next year make sure they dont make the same mistake again and make absolutely sure that the date the price rise occurs is clearly communicated not just in the odd email, but on their website, facebook and twitter feeds. There is no excuse for poor communication with your customers in this day and age!

Last edited:
@GaryH your figures answer yourself.
2014 full prices 159/199
2014/15 sale prices 119/149.

So the sale price is still cheaper for a new pass compared to before Christmas.

I agree with OP that there is a problem with renewals as they are slightly higher than what was emailed out. But for new passes this is still a sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
The sale is for new passes, not renewals - I literally cannot be any clearer.

But the Sale is on a price that has not yet actually been charged to a customer.

As said Tescos can't sell a bottle of wine for £8, then increase the price to £12 and immediately say they have a sale of £9. It's price gouging, that is what people are annoyed at.

Basically they should have increased the price in November, fully communicating this was happening then had a sale in January. And the thing is they manage to have this sort of PR cock-up every January.

They need a major change in management. It's not like it's just geeks that are moaning it's their whole customer base.

As said Tescos can't sell a bottle of wine for £8, then increase the price to £12 and immediately say they have a sale of £9. It's price gouging, that is what people are annoyed at.

No, but they can sell it for £11 one day, have a sale where it is £9 and then advise that the soon-to-be normal price is £12 - which is what has been done here.

The only thing you may be able to accuse Merlin of is that it hasn't been on sale for £10 more than what it was a week ago, but that is all. They could also advise the previous prices.

People here are criticising plain simple price rises, and while I usually hate the phrase as I believe you should try to evoke change, it is very much a case of if you don't like it don't pay it. Everyone has their own cut off points and I think you might enjoy taking a year off more than you realise, instead of being a slave to the same old parks over and over.