• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

I think they'll lose out on a lot of potential sales due to the number of people who've got into the cycle of buying passes over winter due to the offers. That said, there's probably enough people out there who'd pay pretty much anything for unlimited fastrack, so they'll probably be able to shift the full allocation eventually.

It will be first come first serve. I don't think anyone who really wants one will have much trouble getting one initially though.

:)

Sorry, not sure where to post this (or if it has been already posted) so please feel free to move/delete as necessary :)

I noticed that the MAP friends and family rate for Alton Towers has gone up from £23 to £28 for an adult - a rise of £5!

If I remember correctly the price didn't go up last time the entry went up and has been slightly less than half the entry price for a while, but still - quite a jump!

Indeed - it actually makes using 241 or 50% off voucher cheaper.

Not much of a perk at all really!

I was planning on using this perk, but if Towers think I'm phoning a premium rate number to do so, they've got another thing coming. They actually said to me on Twitter that it's cheaper to use F&F than it is to use 241s, but I still don't see how that would work.

Besides, one member of our group is in the police force, so gets just over 50% off anyway.

I was planning on using this perk, but if Towers think I'm phoning a premium rate number to do so, they've got another thing coming. They actually said to me on Twitter that it's cheaper to use F&F than it is to use 241s, but I still don't see how that would work.
It used to be £23 until a couple of weeks ago. That's less than half price, even if you included the 5p/minute 0844 number they use. You would've had to be on the line for 32 minutes to not save by using F&F instead of 241.. that's if you were buying one ticket.

Course it's changed now, so it's best just using a promotion.

Besides, one member of our group is in the police force, so gets just over 50% off anyway.
http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Helpful website - provides you with a normal rate alternative to most premium rate numbers :)

Final nail in the coffin for me not renewing my annual pass.

Being the only person in my social circles who has an annual pass it's great to be able to turn to a friend and tell them I can get them a cheap ticket, and then arrange a trip on a whim. Now that price doesn't sound as appealing.

I've had enough of all the constant price increases along with quality and value decreases.

I will use that money visiting some other European parks instead.

Last edited:
Seven years of passes, and this year has been the least I've used it in all that time. I'm literally only just making the money back in comparison with 2for1's thanks to 3 nights at fireworks this year. Still undecided about next year, and although the F+F discount being lowered is a big negative for some, I've never actually used it in the time it's been available. Still, not good to be further reducing the value of the pass benefits!

I will be renewing next year. Mostly because this is the first year I've had a MAP, and I feel as though I've got my money's worth, working out at just over 50p per ride yea far. With AT being so close to me, it's nice to be able to have days out as and when I want them, plus I wouldn't be able to come on meets without a MAP, as all the other meet places, apart from DMP, are a nightmare to get to.

I did not renew my pass a few years ago, and felt like I missed out, so I will still renew mine again. I just brought a F+F ticket yesterday, and thought it seemed more expensive than in the past.

I don't go for the rides or attractions anymore. I just go to see everyone and catch up :)

Ian

I had a Tussauds / Merlin AP for around 10 years, the last one expired at the end of the 2013 season and I didn't renew or buy one for 2014, there was nothing new worth seeing. We're making one trip to Alton Towers for Fireworks this year (will either use Kellogs 2for1 on Friday or buy online for Saturday).
Although we live in London, I just didn't feel any reasons to visit any Merlin attraction in 2014. That is one of the issues with having an annual pass for 10 years, eventually you do just ride everything too many times and lose interest.

VIP pass prices have been released, and unsurprisingly there's been a massive price jump:

Individual: £699 (£599 renewal)
Family: £599 (£499 renewal)

Both passes have gone up by £199 for new customers.

I've been opposed to the VIP pass idea from the off, so I'm certainly not complaining about the price increase. Hopefully they won't sell them all this time.

They deserve it to be honest. If they've got that much spare cash; fleece 'em for all they've got.

Excellent - one of the few Merlin price rises I endorse. Here's to further rises, no sales and goodbye concept of a VIP pass.

:)

It wont be goodbye to VIP concept, they will just have a sale on them, at the last price they had been able to sell them at. With some sting in the tale of sale.

The idea of a pass that includes unlimited FastTrack is fine, it's when they tried to then allow VIP pass holders to bypass the FastTrack queue too I felt it was too much. The VIP pass should give no more benefit than a platinum FastTrack. Also given platinum FastTrack is £95 you only need to visit six times to get your money back on the pass.