• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass

Pixie-Ro said:
Does anyone know when the annual pass sale ends?

Well considering it's a January sale, it should be the 31st, but hey, it's merlin, so who knows?

I think last year it went into February a little bit, but usually its end of January.

Also in terms of international attractions I don't know why they don't just include entry to all Merlin attractions worldwide for all passes. I think it's safe to say 99% of people with annual passes would just use them in the UK anyway, and if people do use them abroad it is just generating them with profit inside the parks on food, drink, photos, etc. If anything it would encourage more people to visit their parks abroad who might not even think (or know) about it.

djtruefitt said:
If anything it would encourage more people to visit their parks abroad who might not even think (or know) about it.

Absolutely agree with that, they wouldn't lose enough money to notice, and as you say, it would probably encourage people to consider visiting their parks abroad more. Obviously just guessing with those figures of course, but I definitely think it would encourage more people to think about visiting. As for spending on park, agree also, it is a more unique occasion. Of course it also raises word of mouth profile.

The more you think about it, the more sense it makes, and the pass would APPEAR really exceptional value too.

That's actually a very good point. I would be far more likely to visit say an international midway attraction in a place I was visiting (and subsequently spend whilst there) if it was included in my annual pass than if it was not. The amount of money Merlin would lose from including worldwide attractions to say the Premium pass would be negligible.

:)

That's the case for theme parks but maybe not so accurate for aquariums and tourist attractions (think London eye) Merlin might control?

I think it's more relevant to the midways than the theme parks. If you are going to go to a theme park abroad then you are going to go, I don't think having a pass to get in is going to make much of a difference. However for midways I know I probably wouldn't bother if I had to pay, whereas if I got in on my pass I'd give it a go. Then there's the chance of me taking paying family or friends with me, enjoying it and recommending it to others, buying merchandise (all Merlin attractions allow for this!). It almost seems like a no-brainer!

:)

I am way ahead of you guys in asking for terms and conditions of the fast track, and the response I got was that I would have to wait until March. Not happy, but you're right - if there is no unlimited fast track then I don't think I'll bother.

Moderator Comment: SPG Check

I am thinking of buying my first MAP during the january sale and was wondering whether or not the premium one is good value or should i just stick to the standard?
I do visit parks quite often and obviously if i had a MAP i would visit alot more.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

The premium pass is only worth it if you drive as it includes your parking. Otherwise, save yourself a few quid and get a standard one.

Rosie said:
I am thinking of buying my first MAP during the january sale and was wondering whether or not the premium one is good value or should i just stick to the standard?
I do visit parks quite often and obviously if i had a MAP i would visit alot more.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

As above, if you're driving premium is definitely worth it. It's also worth considering premium if you're going to be visiting London attractions during August and Bank Holidays, or heading to Thorpe Park a couple of times during Fright Nights.

Since the price difference is currently only £20, it's probably worth swinging for the Premium in all honesty.

If you ever buy Fastrack passes, and visit all parks, then you get pretty close to 'breaking even' on Premium just on that. Not all the way, but it makes it an easier decision if you'd already make some savings from the other benefits.

I went for a standard one before the £15 Fasttrack perk existed because I don't care about visiting London attractions in August (or ever, actually - I only really go because I live there and it's free!) which left Parking as the only perk (and given that I'd only just break even, and I haven't ever been asked to pay for parking on any visit I made by car this year so far anyway (barriers just up), that seemed a bit pointless). But the renewal discount is now 40% for Premium rather than 30% for Standard, and Fastrack has been added in, which would make it a no-brainer for me (if I weren't already considering a VIP pass!).

cdd89 said:
But the renewal discount is now 40% for Premium rather than 30% for Standard...
You get a 30% discount on renewal of a Premium MAP, same as the Standard MAP. I 'renewed' mine over the phone this morning and it was cheaper to use my shareholder benefits (40% off) to buy a new Premium MAP, than to renew my existing one.

Edit: I'm wrong! It is 40% off for renewing a Premium MAP, but somehow that works out to be £2 more expensive than the shareholder's price. How confusing!

Hi there,
We've bought Merlin standard passes for our family of four and I'm wondering we can upgrade one to premium at a park and if there is a set fee for this. Wondering if it might me useful for parking.
Thanks
Juliet

jules070603 said:
Hi there,
We've bought Merlin standard passes for our family of four and I'm wondering we can upgrade one to premium at a park and if there is a set fee for this. Wondering if it might me useful for parking.
Thanks
Juliet

It was £40 last year, as the prices have stayed much the same for the passes themselves, I would assume it would be the same to upgrade currently.

I would recommend upgrading at least one in the family/group, even if it doesn't seem you will save much on parking. Reason being it saves a lot of faff buying the tokens and using the machines at the barriers. With the MAP, you just flash it out of your window ( the pass, just to be clear :p ) and the attendant will manually open the barrier for you. ( They do not even check them, I once mistakenly shown my expired pass instead of my current one.)

Also of course, you get no exclusion dates and free entry to the secondary attractions at Warwick Castle etc etc. Another handy benefit is that you enter the 'priority' entrance at all midways, particularly handy in London. London Eye, Tussaud's, Dungeon & Sea Life. Could save you hours.

smudge said:
jules070603 said:
It was £40 last year, as the prices have stayed much the same for the passes themselves, I would assume it would be the same to upgrade currently.

I would recommend upgrading at least one in the family/group, even if it doesn't seem you will save much on parking. Reason being it saves a lot of faff buying the tokens and using the machines at the barriers. With the MAP, you just flash it out of your window ( the pass, just to be clear :p ) and the attendant will manually open the barrier for you. ( They do not even check them, I once mistakenly shown my expired pass instead of my current one.)

Also of course, you get no exclusion dates and free entry to the secondary attractions at Warwick Castle etc etc. Another handy benefit is that you enter the 'priority' entrance at all midways, particularly handy in London. London Eye, Tussaud's, Dungeon & Sea Life. Could save you hours.

I agree! save yourself a lot of money on parking if one of you has premium!

If you don't drive there is virtually no point in getting a Premium. Even managed to blag my way into Madame Tussauds during the August ban with my Standard pass last year, it's not really very difficult.