• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Membership Pass

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
Spotted an article on TTF regarding a new form of Merlin Pass which involves paying monthly (keeping the same standard and premium options).

Prices are for the Standard Membership Pass

Individual (Adult or Child): £12.99
Family of 3, 4, 5 (Up to 3 Adults): £9.99

DAZu_d_QSOB9aeR9Le3xtKY2Yj7SqSGQsfIw4zH3wQiDc5TB2CYzE9C217b6FG9U929FBQ=s129

Prices for the Premium Membership pass

Individual (Adult or Child): £15.99
Family of 3, 4, 5 (Up to 3 Adults) - £11.99

JdEj0LmyqOzlUcTxAYIwHH67WbiXQ513Ovcx64kKGruw3Ym9ofhWuscQeqAOE9wDRNsY=s129

(images taken from Google)

Unlike the regular Annual Passes, this new method of paying monthly won't expire and owners won't need to get new a new ID each year. These new passes will be available from June 24th onwards at a new website (currently not activated) here:

http://www.merlinmembership.co.uk/

Now that it's a brilliant idea! Best idea Merlin have ever had to be honest! :D

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

The downside of this is you obviously end up paying much more instead of paying for a year's worth with the regular pass in one go. I guess it's going to be good for people unsure about getting a pass or for families that don't know what to do with their kids over the Summer holidays as you don't have to spend as much to start with! :p

You are locked into the contract with Merlin for a year though, so you do still have to think about it.

Oh yeah I know, it's just spreading the cost over the months instead of paying in one go. It'll be easier for people who can't or don't want to spend the full amount in one go.

This is a good move I think, and the saving by buying the years pass isn't that great - (unless you use Jan sale)

I think I will be using this option as right now, all of our passes expire at different times and it is a pain to keep renewing them (Not to mention finding the extra cash.)

I hope this option goes ahead.

So us (as a family of 3) are currently paying £136, 3 times a year to renew our premium passes.
Total £408

But if we were to use this option, 3x 11.99 a month = £35.97 a month Total £431

Total difference a mere £23.

Totally be going for this.

So am I right in saying that, instead of paying for an entry ticket, it would now actually be cheaper to pay £12.99 for a month's membership on MAP and get in that way?

Alastair said:
So am I right in saying that, instead of paying for an entry ticket, it would now actually be cheaper to pay £12.99 for a month's membership on MAP and get in that way?
You can't only buy one month, you're just paying for a year but the cost is spread monthly. The Merlin Annual Pass will still offer a better saving because you're giving them your money all at once.

:)

Edit: Just worked out that if my family stopped renewing our premium passes now and opted for this instead we'd be paying £575.52 instead of the 30% off price of the Premium renewal which makes it just £408.80. The difference is £166.72, a fairly significant saving. I guess Merlin are banking on the fact that people will find it easier to pay in this manner. The difference might not be drastic to some but imagine how much extra they will make when you factor in the hundreds of others doing this.

Alastair said:
You're locked in for a years contract but after that you can cancel at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Would work out much more expensive for me than the current system.

Current premium annual pass price with the usual discount renewal was about £122 for this year

Using this new method of monthly payments, I would have paid £191.22

Thats an increase of just under £70 - ouch.

Had wind of this on Monday, but understood it would be happening after the flotation - but I guess it will be used to demonstrate more known cash levels each year, which is important to investors.

GaryH said:
Would work out much more expensive for me than the current system.

Current premium annual pass price with the usual discount renewal was about £122 for this year

Using this new method of monthly payments, I would have paid £191.22

Thats an increase of just under £70 - ouch.
Going on this I will stick with the old pass

It makes perfect sense. Sure it'll cost more in the long run but it's more affordable for people such as me who can't justify a lump payment. I wqs worrying on how I would renew my pass over Scarefest as I won't be able to pay for a new pass until next year. But now, for what is a relatively small monthly payment I will be able to do so.

I also imagine more people who consider the current pass unaffordable will sign up to this scheme.

I wonder if a discount will be available for those staying on after 12 months?

I don't think a 'contract' is that easy or cheap to set up is it? Surely it will involve credit-checking third parties and all sorts.

DiogoJ42 said:
How long before this becomes the only option available?
They'd better not do that! :p I'd rather not have to pay an extra £41.68 a year for Premium so soon. Don't give them ideas! :p

So long as this stays alongside the existing pass rather than replacing it I have no worries. I always buy my pass in the January £99 sale, so to me it's swings and roundabouts.

I can't see why they would run two different annual pass schemes in parallel. It might be a little while, but I expect them to fold the current MAPs into the newer scheme soon.

They'll probably still offer a 'pay a year upfront' price but it's only going to get more expensive.

(Glad i renewed until the end of 2014 on my pass now!)

hmm does this mean after a year contract you can just continue at will? So you could essentially have a year and a half pass.

I suppose it makes sense sort of....

Still a bit more expensive then buying an annual pass.