• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis Reborn: General Discussion

Seemed to be running OK when I passed through the area again at around 1pm. I was only in FV for around 15 minutes at that point though.

Still not managed to ride the thing yet, but going off online videos and reviews it really seems Towers have done an incredible job giving this beast a new lease of life! I'll admit I was dubious about whether the "all black/red" "Phalanx" takeover would take away from the more "gory horror movie" vibe Mr Wardley envisaged back in '94. It seems I was wrong and it's all some together seamlessly, and that eye! I haven't even seen it in person and I'm already impressed. It gives a real sense of "life" to the creature, whereas before I'm quite sure most visitors to the park could hardly tell what the station was supposed to be themed as for a long time (this did get better with the TLC programme etc.) whereas this update brings it almost up to the standard of Velocicoaster in terms of theming quality, interactivity eg. the mist effect hitting the zero G was a brilliant idea, props to whoever came up with that!

The inside of the station also looks fantastic, even down to the details like having the row numbers written in veins running the length of the station track. It really looks although you are "inside the beast" rather than what was before let's face it, a tin shed.

The one query I do have is the shop placement now being across the valley. It works on the assumption passing footfall will frequent it, and of course with it being so new people will be actively seeking merchandise, hence the apparently 1hr long queue, for a shop! Once the hype dies down I can see a future where the new shop sees much less footfall, since people may not be seeking it out. Personally I'd have located the new shop where the "Ground Command Coffee Outpost" is, with fences guiding people exiting the ride into the shop.

Back to the ride itself, time will tell if Towers keep up the maintenance on the new theming pieces. I personally believe they will as people now expect more in the way of theming quality from the industry, and ultimately it's what stands Towers apart from the likes of BPB or even Thorpe Park, both of which have theming, but it nowhere near the quality of Nemesis Reborn or X-Sector etc.

I just hope the blood rivers/waterfalls can be brought back. The ravines and trenches look quite empty and unkempt without them, and they added real dynamism to parts of the ride that needed it such as the first drop into the corkscrew. I remember seeing them partially switched on (in the first drop area) back in 2013. Whether this was just a pilot to see if it'd still work or not I'm not sure, but even if they can't add the dye anymore, would it hurt to switch the water on and paint the rock work to simulate the blood-river look and bring back the dynamism?

The other intriguing thing will be to see how well the new track ages. At the moment it's a glossy jet-black with bright red veins painted along it, but over the years the black will fade and the track will become worn which risks making the new "veins" look less realistic/effective as they get covered in layers of dirt/grime. Maybe the park will regularly jet wash it who knows, but this is the one respect where I feel the original Nemesis topped the new one; the track was meant to be dirty/grimy so required less maintenance to keep up appearances. The more "matte" aesthetic also suited the ride much better in my opinion. It's supposed to be an organic creature pinned-down by steel. As soon as you add gloss into the mix it goes the way of The Hobbit in comparison to Lord of The Rings, it looks good, but feels inauthentic as it's just "too clean, too perfect".

Anyway, track maintenance/visuals aside, everything about the new experience seems much better than the original, and it's good to see the park competing properly with its continental European counterparts, and even Universal! More of this over the next decade!

Marshy.

Last edited:
Rattle update.

Train 1 has the issue and something isn’t right with it.

Train 2 had a little bit this morning but just had a row 8 and it was perfectly smooth which it wasn’t last week. A tiny bit as you come into the brakes but nothing compared to what it was.

It’s the trains whatever it is, it’s absolutely flying now, I can already feel the difference in a week of bedding in.

Rattle update.

Train 1 has the issue and something isn’t right with it.

Train 2 had a little bit this morning but just had a row 8 and it was perfectly smooth which it wasn’t last week. A tiny bit as you come into the brakes but nothing compared to what it was.

It’s the trains whatever it is, it’s absolutely flying now, I can already feel the difference in a week of bedding in.
That's great to know it can be fixed then! TPWW mentioned Mandrill and other newer B&Ms have had some sort of rattle. Maybe they've changed something about the wheel assemblies

That's great to know it can be fixed then! TPWW mentioned Mandrill and other newer B&Ms have had some sort of rattle. Maybe they've changed something about the wheel assemblies
Mandrill is more of a weird bounce, it’s clearly the trains as there is a night and day difference between 1 and 2.

Last ride was about perfect and probably best ride I’ve ever had on Nemesis back row.

Having not experienced the ride yet the rattle sounds like it occurs where old track meets new (the final corner and the lift) or am I completely misreading this?
Just wondering if it's caused by the diameter of the old rails (which must be worn after 30 years of use) being slightly less, and not as tight a fit.

Otherwise it seems unusual that this seems to occur at the slower parts of the ride.

I have my doubts about solid steel wearing against polyurethane wheels. I could be wrong. But I've never seen this. Just see paint wear off that's all. Maybe that is enough?

Also an update the teeth around the eye were not working today

I wouldn’t be surprised if they reserve them for special events. Moving parts normally equals wear and tear, and therefore higher cost to maintain, so leaving them off occasionally might make sense. And to be honest, even without the moving teeth the thing is impressive! And the most effect hitting the zero-g is just perfect! 👌

I have my doubts about solid steel wearing against polyurethane wheels. I could be wrong. But I've never seen this. Just see paint wear off that's all. Maybe that is enough?

Can I ask, and I genuinely dont mean this in any way but curiosity despite how it may sound, but do you have a connection to the park or engineering as a whole? Your posts are informative and well detailed, but I wonder how you are able to say things with such certainty so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doesn't the vibration start virtually straight after the final inversion? Thought all the track was replaced until the brake run?

It was a lovely surprise to see that in between my first ride today at around 12:00, and my second ride around 5:00, that staff had shortened the queue line so you didn’t have to go the whole 5km walk round.

As for the ride itself, the first ride I was on row 3 seat 4, got thrown about a bit and clearly noticed the rattle, second ride I was row 4 seat 3 and it was smooth as anything. Must’ve been on different trains.

Can I ask, and I genuinely dont mean this in any way but curiosity despite how it may sound, but do you have a connection to the park or engineering as a whole? Your posts are informative and well detailed, but I wonder how you are able to say things with such certainty so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not to Alton Towers though, I do have a strong connection to engineering, be it theme park's a while ago now, railways and general engineering. I did a switch a few years ago into something totally different though. I've seen railway rails wear down, because it is steel on steel, never seen a coaster track wear down due to much, much softer material. I am not saying it does not happen, just that I personally have not seen it.