• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

I assure you most of those questions nobody thinks about
And yet, here we are discussing it in this very thread.

Thing is now we live in a world when people like more lore/story with things these days.

I like to use superhero comics as an example in which take the Joker from Batman for example, back then we didn't know anything about his backstory but the longer a character has existed, there will always be those who will want to know more about the character thus you get an expanded backstory.

Same with Doctor Who in which now many want to know as in, well, who is the Doctor. It seems that Nemesis and Forbidden Valley as a whole is no exception as the longer that ride has existed, there will always be a good chance that you'll have many who'll want to know more about a ride or area's backstory. In fact, you can say they already have done this with X-Sector by introducing the Ministry of Joy so Forbidden Valley is not even a special case here.

Likely if they retheme Galactica to say Air or whatever, we'll get a detailed backstory too. Sounds tedious for those who champion 'show don't tell' but that I'm afraid is what most people want these days.
I disagree. It's only nerds who want all this. Because of the internet, it's become more visible that's all. A lot of things about human nature have always existed, it's just that this horrible present we now live in allows all this stuff to be magnified.

Star Wars fans wanting every minute story detail have always existed. If you're fanatical about something, you're never satisfied. You want more of what you love, even if there isn't any. Corporations give it to you to keep your fandom and make more money. I was a lot happier when I thought the depiction of Father Christmas in Santa Clause: The Movie was real, before half of Dallas was revealed to be a dream, and when Nemesis was simply a creepy alien that burst out of the ground on a mysterious site just for the hell of it.

I'm an avid fan of some rather obscure things. But all this fan service stuff at Towers is cringey. Whilst Thoosies are gushing over "Burton and Ward Estate Agents" and exclaiming "Emily Alton! I know her!", normal guests might wonder what that big warehouse that they can clearly see from the queue line is all about. Whilst Thoosies are weeing themselves over "TV-92 JW-94 JB-24", norms are wondering how their queueing experience is being enhanced by viewing an ugly green shipping container from multiple angles.

Give everyone a nice immersive themed experience that just exists and looks cool for the hell of it. Start explaining things to everyone, like Sub-Terra and that Nemesis queue line radio does, and you start contradicting yourself or opening up holes in the experience you created. My daughter's only 9 and she asked why some eggs were left outside whilst the others were kept under lock and key. If Thoosies aren't satisfied, print them another comic or something whilst you flog them a £150 bolt.

This is the problem when you spoon feed people unnecessary back stories. It restrains theming decisions, even if they are a cool idea like the eggs by the helicopter probably where at the time.

None of these questions need to be asked if you just keep the story behind the theme loose and open ended.
I assure you most of those questions nobody thinks about
I assure you that I had to answer every single one of these questions, whilst in the Nemesis Reborn queue, from my brother who has no affiliation with theme park enthusiasm. He even pointed out the eggs, by Captain Chopper, as we were waddling through Forbidden Valley for the first time.
Thing is now we live in a world when people like more lore/story with things these days.

I like to use superhero comics as an example in which take the Joker from Batman for example, back then we didn't know anything about his backstory but the longer a character has existed, there will always be those who will want to know more about the character thus you get an expanded backstory.

Same with Doctor Who in which now many want to know as in, well, who is the Doctor. It seems that Nemesis and Forbidden Valley as a whole is no exception as the longer that ride has existed, there will always be a good chance that you'll have many who'll want to know more about a ride or area's backstory. In fact, you can say they already have done this with X-Sector by introducing the Ministry of Joy so Forbidden Valley is not even a special case here.

Likely if they retheme Galactica to say Air or whatever, we'll get a detailed backstory too. Sounds tedious for those who champion 'show don't tell' but that I'm afraid is what most people want these days.

I disagree. It's only nerds who want all this. Because of the internet, it's become more visible that's all. A lot of things about human nature have always existed, it's just that this horrible present we now live in allows all this stuff to be magnified.

Star Wars fans wanting every minute story detail have always existed. If you're fanatical about something, you're never satisfied. You want more of what you love, even if there isn't any. Corporations give it to you to keep your fandom and make more money. I was a lot happier when I thought the depiction of Father Christmas in Santa Clause: The Movie was real, before half of Dallas was revealed to be a dream, and when Nemesis was simply a creepy alien that burst out of the ground on a mysterious site just for the hell of it.

I'm an avid fan of some rather obscure things. But all this fan service stuff at Towers is cringey. Whilst Thoosies are gushing over "Burton and Ward Estate Agents" and exclaiming "Emily Alton! I know her!", normal guests might wonder what that big warehouse that they can clearly see from the queue line is all about. Whilst Thoosies are weeing themselves over "TV-92 JW-94 JB-24", norms are wondering how their queueing experience is being enhanced by viewing an ugly green shipping container from multiple angles.

Give everyone a nice immersive themed experience that just exists and looks cool for the hell of it. Start explaining things to everyone, like Sub-Terra and that Nemesis queue line radio does, and you start contradicting yourself or opening up holes in the experience you created. My daughter's only 9 and she asked why some eggs were left outside whilst the others were kept under lock and key. If Thoosies aren't satisfied, print them another comic or something whilst you flog them a £150 bolt.

Totally agree with this and your point on the Star Wars universe. The additional films and spin offs have somewhat ruined the main narrative.

I worry this is what will happen with our treasured rides. People won’t like the story and assume the whole package is crap. Nerds….. who needs them?

Egg situation is easy, one has been put on display in a "safe and controlled" manner, whilst the ones seen by the chopper are being transported to a "safe and secure" location.

The area has gone from post to mid apocalyptic. Done. Cheques in the post please Mr Burton.

There is certainly an issue with the amount of spoon feeding required to "explain" the backstory of something, and the current slew of Easter egg obsession is very Disney Imagineering from Wish.

Fun Fact.

Graham Edwards, an author that helped Write Sub Terras story, was also once a member of The famous theming company, Farmer Studios, in which he also wrote the concept and story for Excalibur, a Dragons Tale.

This ride absolutely stinks of mould and damp in the ride area now and you can feel how thick the air is down there. Yeah sod having to work in there, can't be healthy. Also the second lift is broken.
Second lift is indeed broken currently. The floor doesn’t move. It does smell damp in there especially when you drop to the lower part.