• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

The rotten wood was replaced because it was rotten...that was the reason...H&S.
We haven't got a clue what has happened to the interior, only that there was a can of wd40 in an open doorway, if I recall correctly.
Anything else...we just don't know.

Alton Towers only have an obligation to maintain Health and Safety requirements on things which are actually in use, be that by the resort, the guests or (in the case of a ride, both).

Given the fact that the queue line has been ripped up and replaced with a brand new decking, that’s a fairly clear indication that they intend to use the queue line again, which suggests that the building will house an attraction of sorts.

There’s been numerous photographs of the front doors to the building bro by open with work going on inside, obviously we don’t know what the extent of that work is but it’s certainly more significant that a photo of a rogue can of WD-40 being found.

As I keep saying there’s obviously a chance that all this work is being done to ready the building for something else, as general maintenance etc, but given the fact that they’ve never done this before and they’re now choosing to do it the season that the major rollercoaster in the area is unavailable, my educated guess will be that it’s not a coincidence.

They have tidied up, in and around the attraction on a number of occasions over the years, starting the annual debate over reopening on at least three occasions.
Queueboard lights flickering, doors being left open, tidying up, cleaning up moss...
I agree it is more likely to be reused for something, but the fact remains that we have been here before, repeatedly.

Last edited:
OK. I'm really glad we've cleared that up. So there's no evidence (for the ordinary user of this forum) that this is DEFINITELY opening up as the drop tower attraction that it formerly was. Makes a debate about when they're going to be advertising its re-opening a waste of everyone's time really, doesn't it? I know it's closed season, but this is pushing it a bit.

OK. I'm really glad we've cleared that up. So there's no evidence (for the ordinary user of this forum) that this is DEFINITELY opening up as the drop tower attraction that it formerly was. Makes a debate about when they're going to be advertising its re-opening a waste of everyone's time really, doesn't it? I know it's closed season, but this is pushing it a bit.
Basically, yeah. We've had a can of WD40, decking being replaced and it makes sense for it to reopen as some form of attraction. But that's it, speculation. No announcement, no indication as to the drop towers being fired back up, no marketing and nothing concrete at all.

Look at the photo folks! They wouldn't be replacing all that queue for no reason, and it's a bit early for Scarefest prep. Fence up around the entrance as well. Image from a few pages back from a Squadding Quads video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230122_075159_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230122_075159_YouTube.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 91
Look at the photo folks! They wouldn't be replacing all that queue for no reason, and it's a bit early for Scarefest prep. Fence up around the entrance as well. Image from a few pages back from a Squadding Quads video.

They’ve been doing work to the building since the preparation for the last Scarefest!

If I’m made to look stupid I’ll hold my hands up (wouldn’t be the first time,) but I’d be stunned if they building isn’t being used for guests next season in some capacity (other than Scarefest albeit there’s a slim chance it could be some kind of year round Scaremaze).

(other than Scarefest albeit there’s a slim chance it could be some kind of year round Scaremaze).
I suppose that the original Sub Terra had a scaremaze element, so technically that was a year-round scare maze so there is a small chance of this happening, although I agree that it is unlikely to happen, and that whatever this will be is probably not going to have as much actor involvement as the original.

I wouldn't hope for the original. It is a cool concept and had potential to be quite an immersive experience. But it needed quite a bit of refinement and the improvements it got only went half way to fix it.

But I do still maintain there's a good experienced buried in there, so I'm very happy if it is returning.

Really hoping for a return of sub terra as close to how it was originally. Never got a chance to ride it and I think an expansion on the nemesis theming/lore is such a cool concept.
If it has the Phalanx in it, it will annoy @Matt.GC so perhaps they won't.
Being serious for a second, I would probably want Sub-Terra to be fairly similar to 2012-2015, and perhaps cues can be taken from Rise of the Resistance on how to make attractions featuring actors actually good.

It will be interesting to see whether any further work has been done on the queue line etc once that area of the park reopens, I had heard murmurings that it had stalled (I assume based on drone footage,) but I’ve not seen any recent photos myself.

Really hoping for a return of sub terra as close to how it was originally. Never got a chance to ride it and I think an expansion on the nemesis theming/lore is such a cool concept.

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk
Hope not, it wasn’t very good.

Would like to see it ripped out and something completely new. You didn’t miss much.