• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New coaster concepts that you think would be cool

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. There are many different types of coasters out there, and there are still new innovations being unveiled even now; for instance, I’d argue that S&S’ recently Axis model was a pretty radical invention! But the question stands; what next? What isn’t currently on a coaster anywhere in the world that you think would be really cool? Is there any particular idea or thing that you’d love for a coaster to do some day?

In terms of my idea; I read a really cool idea in the comments section of a Thirteen POV that I really liked, and that is a multi-route coaster. By this, I’m referring to a ride that could potentially take 2 or more different routes throughout its course, utilising switch track technology in order to make it possible. If you had multiple switch tracks throughout, you could get many different potential ride combinations, and the ride would be different every time! While I’ll admit I personally like consistency in a ride as opposed to the unknown of “what experience am I going to get?”, I do think this idea could be cool to explore (if money was no object, at least…)! With their recent investment in switch track technology, I reckon Intamin could pull this off…

But what thing would you like to see done on a coaster that hasn’t been done yet?

Interesting thread idea @Matt N
By this, I’m referring to a ride that could potentially take 2 or more different routes throughout its course,
This sort of exists and it would be pretty cool in the form you've described. Currently, there's Fury which riders vote whether to go backwards or forwards it would be cool if there was a similar ride but that you choose which routes it takes possibly at several point. Link to Fury's RCDB page: https://rcdb.com/16110.htm

I think it's quite a difficult question because I think almost everything has been done in one form or another. I've mentioned a few times I would like to see a revived version of a virginia reel or even just a wooden spinning coaster. I know it's not a completely new concept like what Matt seems to be asking for however I think it would be quite cool. Obviously, to meet new safety standards there would have to be some differences. I don't see any reason why GCI or Gravity Group couldn't make one, possibly outsourcing the spinning cars to someone like Gerstlauer or even making them in house,

In terms of other concepts I've always thought of a 4D coaster where you sit on the sides and you control your own spin by a joystick and I think that would be quite cool. We've got free spins and controlled spins but what we don't have is customisable spins.

I can't really think of much else as a lot of what I would want has been built in the past but I've tried the best with what I've thought of over the years.

I would love to see a coaster where you can choose how you ride it: sit down, stand up, floorless, lying down, spinning. Would increase the reridability (if that's a word) of a new coaster, the drawbacks would be increased maintenance costs and probably more operation faff.

Years ago I used to wonder about the concept of a coaster being able to 'jump' over gaps in the track seamlessly as often depicted in cartoons etc and whether it was possible. Turns out I didn't have to wait all that long as the Donkey Kong coaster is meant to do just that. I do think it will be an incredible spectacle off ride to see a coaster appear to jump bits of track. Very much my most anticipated new coaster type.

My idea:

Quite like to see a park tackle the concept of having a racing coaster with a standard sitting car on the top of the track and an inverted track right underneath it. Not sure how plausible this would be with the moving parts of a coaster etc but would be pretty cool if the could pull it off.

Years ago I used to wonder about the concept of a coaster being able to 'jump' over gaps in the track seamlessly as often depicted in cartoons etc and whether it was possible. Turns out I didn't have to wait all that long as the Donkey Kong coaster is meant to do just that. I do think it will be an incredible spectacle off ride to see a coaster appear to jump bits of track. Very much my most anticipated new coaster type.

My idea:

Quite like to see a park tackle the concept of having a racing coaster with a standard sitting car on the top of the track and an inverted track right underneath it. Not sure how plausible this would be with the moving parts of a coaster etc but would be pretty cool if the could pull it off.
Hasn’t something similar already happened?

Hasn’t something similar already happened?

Not that I'm aware. I know one part of Full Throttle does kind of have that effect but I'm taking about two trains going around at the same time on the same bits of track but one above and one below the track

My idea:

I always thought that would be cool myself!

I did also discover through reading CoasterForce that Guangzhou Sunac Land in China built something that looks to fulfil that description to a fair extent; take a look at Dueling Dragons:

(Credit to MiyaPA Masane for the video)

This is a duo of Intamin dueling coasters consisting of one sit down coaster track and one inverted coaster track, and while they are not attached for the entire ride, a swing launch, reverse spike and loop are all negotiated with the two sides in tandem with one another, Full Throttle-style!

Here’s the RCDB page: https://rcdb.com/15940.htm

I did also discover through reading CoasterForce that Guangzhou Sunac Land in China built something that looks to fulfil that description to a fair extent; take a look at Dueling Dragons:

This is a duo of Intamin dueling coasters consisting of one sit down coaster track and one inverted coaster track, and while they are not attached for the entire ride, a swing launch, reverse spike and loop are all negotiated with the two sides in tandem with one another, Full Throttle-style!

Basically what that is but with the track above the other one. This is more like a typical dualing coaster only with different types of train/track.

Basically what that is but with the track above the other one. This is more like a typical dualing coaster only with different types of train/track.
So are you basically saying that you’d like a ride with a dynamic similar to the initial few elements of this, but maintained for the whole ride?

If so, I agree; I do think it would be a cool concept!

@Benjsh this is the one I was thinking off good find @Matt N

Yeah think that could work. They could double up on the rails and have them run as one car. Not sure if thats possible but I think that's what @Benjsh is talking about? If so I think that would be really cool just not sure about the physics of such a ride.

Yeah think that could work. They could double up on the rails and have them run as one car. Not sure if thats possible but I think that's what @Benjsh is talking about? If so I think that would be really cool just not sure about the physics of such a ride.

Wouldn't have to be one rail. They could be separate but appear to be just the one as they are on top of each other.

Again not sure if it's possible either. Just thought it would be cool to see.

Wouldn't have to be one rail. They could be separate but appear to be just the one as they are on top of each other.

Again not sure if it's possible either. Just thought it would be cool to see.
Oh yeah get what you mean. I didn't mean one rail I meant have one central box and then run the other rails off it. Two on top two on bottom and then attach the top and bottom of the train together so they run at the same time.