• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Newspapers

What is your preferred British daily newspaper to read?

• I do not read newspapers

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Financial Times

• The Independent (or 'i')

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • The Guardian

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Daily Express

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daily Star

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Times

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • The Daily Telegraph

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Metro

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Daily Mail

• The Sun

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Harv

TS Member
Please note that this refers to daily papers, as opposed to Sunday papers, but you can still cast an opinion in the comments if you wish.

What daily newspaper(s) do you read, and why? :)

Included a poll for those who don't want to explain why. I personally read the Daily Mail, but it's more a matter of convenience through delivery/costs from my local shop than personal decision. I like The Guardian, I guess. The articles always seem to be very detailed and informative on their website. :)

I like The Guardian and I also get The Sentinel which is a local newspaper (but it's mainly for the sports section).

I'm sorry but the Daily Mail just annoys me - How they over dramatise everything and make things out to be worse than they are.

Personally read the sun, just because I've always bought it :)

I'm a reader of The Independent and the 'i' myself I mainly buy 'i' because it's only 20p - cheaper than the tabloids - and it's got good articles in it, plus it's not very bulky at all and it's easy to get through. I refuse to buy any of the tabloids - including the Diana Express and the Daily Sieg Heil - because I'm not at all interested in hearing about how many people Katie Price has slept with in the past week, and the Express and the Sieg Heil always go on about the same stuff (cancer cures, cancer causes, weather, 'shocking' tax rises, immigration...you get the idea). I did buy the Times for a period, but stopped after Rupert Murdoch launched a takeover bid for BSkyB. The Telegraph? I don't really have much to do with it, mainly because it's a Tory-supporting paper. The Guardian's not too bad - I buy it occasionally when it's got an interesting article or supplement in it - but I stick with 'i' most of the time.

EDIT: Another reason why I don't buy the tabloids is because of their all-too-frequent misogyny and treatment of women as sexual objects.

Interesting that the Guardian is winning our poll by far, but it's one of the lowest selling newspapers in Britain...

The only Newspaper I read regularly is the Metro, but from time to time I tend to read articles on The Independent or Guardian online.

The Sun - populist trash; too many people believe it word for word; 75% pure fabrication
Daily Mail - right-wing overtones and slightly scaremongering, but not as bad as many people claim
Metro - frequently makes factual blunders and usually sits on the fence, but hey it's free!
The Daily Telegraph - old-fashioned style rightness, not offensive but out of touch and uninspiring
The Times - its readers frequently see themselves as super intelligent but it's out of touch as per DT
Daily Star - not as gut-wrenching as The Sun because it effectively adds humour, but don't trust it
Daily Express - poisonous vitriol; bitter; distorted; deceptive; libellous; fascist; false; offensive
The Guardian - generally fair, but makes bad calls with its editorial content from time to time
The Independent - respectable; fair; trustworthy but occasionally self indulgent and repetitive
Financial Times - capitalist but it an almost tolerable manner; generally professional and accurate

The Times, although it's so middle class it's really quite insulting. Some of the regular reporters are absolutely disgusting. Although I still do like it.

Whilst I still remain distrustful of it (since no media outlet is free of self-preservationist agendas), I generally read The Guardian as it has fairly informative and well researched articles.

The paper I hate the most used to be the Daily Mail with it's scaremongering, sensationalist, right wing and intolerable behaviour, but actually, I now find The Telegraph far more infuriating as the 'respectable' face of hostile neo-liberal capitalism.

When I do buy a paper it's normally the "i." Small, concise, easy to read, sticks to the facts, decent writting and is cheap.

If I were to buy a newspaper it would be i, as it's cheap and the articles are intelligent. The other low-priced papers are too stupid for me to even consider. I remember buying The Star once, and it was just terrible.

However, as I'm usually in a hurry in the morning I just grab a free copy of Metro. Considering its free, it's not too bad. Then on the way home ill usually pick up the London Evening Standard, again because its free.

You missed the Mirror.

I only tend to buy a paper if I am travelling somewhere, and I normally get the I. The other half tends to buy the Sun or the Mirror, which ever has the most exciting headline, or best freebie :)

Ian

i i captain!

(I really, really am sorry)

I do read the i when I can, which usually ends up being weekends.

The Mirror - Labour-can-do-no-wrong blind rubbish; unprofessional and biased; bitchy and immature

I actually think The Express is much more dangerous than The Mail.

With The Mail, you know what you're getting. You know you're buying a fascist, woman hating, hypocritical newspaper ran by nonces. Everyone knows that.

But for some reason, despite arguably being even worse, The Express doesn't have the same stigma.

Tom said:
The Sun - populist trash; too many people believe it word for word; 75% pure fabrication
Daily Mail - right-wing overtones and slightly scaremongering, but not as bad as many people claim
Metro - frequently makes factual blunders and usually sits on the fence, but hey it's free!
The Daily Telegraph - old-fashioned style rightness, not offensive but out of touch and uninspiring
The Times - its readers frequently see themselves as super intelligent but it's out of touch as per DT
Daily Star - not as gut-wrenching as The Sun because it effectively adds humour, but don't trust it
Daily Express - poisonous vitriol; bitter; distorted; deceptive; libellous; fascist; false; offensive
The Guardian - generally fair, but makes bad calls with its editorial content from time to time
The Independent - respectable; fair; trustworthy but occasionally self indulgent and repetitive
Financial Times - capitalist but it an almost tolerable manner; generally professional and accurate

Should include these in a guide to people coming to live in the UK or on holiday. ;)

I don't read papers very often as I usually find out the news from various websites, though I think I've probably read The Guardian the most, closely followed by 'i'.

I'd get a Metro but they're always gone by the time I reach wherever they're put. :p

The Metro's a laugh for all the bizarre 'stories' it has. But please, for the love of god, don't use it as a source of actual news! :p