• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

North Korea

Nothing to see here, keep watching endless reality TV shows and sports, keep constantly buying empty, meaningless logo emblazened t-shirts. Nothing to worry about. Everything will be ok, as long as you keep sucking on your pacifier.

Don't think of nuclear war, or politics, or anything like that... Here's Paddy Mcguiness doing a jig. Isn't it funny?

Everything wil be ok...

EDIT: Nice Bill Hicks parody there MP ;)

Given my unhealthy interest in nuclear weaponry, I know enough to realise that there is no point in panicing. Just hope that you are close enough to ground zero to not know anything about it* when it happens. If you see a flash, run towards it!

*Actually, unless you get hit by a multi-megaton thermonuclear blast, the odds of a quick vapourisation are pretty low. Most people who died in the Japanese bombs were burned to a horrible crust in the firestorm that followed the blast :/
So if you are going to get hit, just pray it's by a Russian H bomb, not a North Korean firecracker.

DiogoJ42 said:
*Actually, unless you get hit by a multi-megaton thermonuclear blast, the odds of a quick vapourisation are pretty low. Most people who died in the Japanese bombs were burned to a horrible crust in the firestorm that followed the blast :/
So if you are going to get hit, just pray it's by a Russian H bomb, not a North Korean firecracker.

Ah, now I feel so much better. Either be burned to death, or die of radiation poisoning, or die of loads of other horrible things.

Maybe it's the old man in me who remembers the tail end of the cold war, but part of me finds this amusing.
Of course it's a bad thing that nutters like the North Koreans have nukes. The actual threat to our lives from them is about as dangerous as me taking a Nerf gun to rob the Kray twins.

The only real danger would be that if they fire their missiles at America (assuming they have the range, AND that they have any warheads), if the US retaliates. Wouldn't put it past them. Those yanks could wipe NK off the map with one multi-warhead missle. Once that happens, chances are everyone will start throwing nukes around like they are water balloons. But whatever hits us wouldn't be Korean.

I still say that the country most likely to use nuclear weapons is Israel against Iran... then claim that they only did it because Iran was thinking about building a bomb of its own.

AshleeKel said:
I'm actually a bit scared.

When you combine it with the Prophesy of the Popes, where the next pope 'Peter the Roman' will bring about the destruction of Rome...and the favourite candidate just so happens to be called 'Peter'...

I'm not normally paranoid, but.... :eek:

There's one problem with that...why on earth would anyone attack Rome? Especially North Korea, all they're concerned with is the 'evil Americans.'

Alastair said:
AshleeKel said:
I'm actually a bit scared.

When you combine it with the Prophesy of the Popes, where the next pope 'Peter the Roman' will bring about the destruction of Rome...and the favourite candidate just so happens to be called 'Peter'...

I'm not normally paranoid, but.... :eek:

There's one problem with that...why on earth would anyone attack Rome? Especially North Korea, all they're concerned with is the 'evil Americans.'

Well, if everywhere is gonna be bombed anyway, no doubt someone will launch a warhead at the pope for whatever reason.

Something tells me the Vatican has some serious bunkers under all that fancy stone work.

Well this is very, very, very worrying. Is this the modern version of the Cold War? Will we eventually be seeing updated versions of Threads on BBC Four? Some Public Service Announcements. This is getting too real for my liking.

To be honest, if we do get dragged into a Nuclear War, there's really nothing we can do about it, to save our selves.

If the bomb itself doesn't kill us, the impending radiation eventually will.

I think the old b'stards like me and D-Man having grown up around this, have a very different opinion on this situation.

Now, when the front page of your newspapers, are a Russian convey, carrying a missile the size of Birmingham's BT Tower - then worry.

China and Russia make their rubles and renminbi from the West, via natural resources and cheap labour/products. Whilst trying to maintain a rather communist attitude to varying degrees, they don't mind of few of our pounds! How many of those do you reckon come from North Korea?

So, if some neighbours up the road buy tons of crap from me all year, and someone who used to be a mate, starts behaving like an utter moron up the road - and doesn't help me out in any way shape or form, who am I going to now side with?

Russia and China are trying to avoid wars, not create them. That's why they are so against hostile USA actions, because that causes problems. They threatened all sorts about Iraq, as they didn't want the region destabilised.

I am not a fan of Putin, but I have heard speeches of his at UN gatherings, where he tears the USA a new one for creating problems not solving them with diplomacy.

(Of course, there is a thought that they would not want the USA having too much power in another region full of natural resources)

Also, even in mainstream USA media, there was a big conference at the Washington Press Club (well, there have been multiple) by ex-military generals et al, speaking of strange things disengaging entire nuclear weapons bunkers... Russia have had similar things, as I believe allegedly have China.

Fox news reported it too: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/23/aliens-monitoring-nukes-worry-ex-air-force-officers/

Crazy as it sounds, this has been reported multiple times, and is recorded in FOI documentation...

Don't believe Fox News? Maybe you would care to watch the entire thing streamed LIVE by CNN?

Disclosure Conference, National Press Club 27 Sept 2010

These are some of the world's top level military nuclear personnel. I've never been sure if this makes me more or less nervous to be honest, but I'm sure as heck not ignorant enough to dismiss their claims.

I think the worst thing that happened to World Peace was when Mr Bush announced his axis of evil. N Korea, Iran watched as Iraq and Afghanistan got invaded, so how did we expect them react? Have a big fanfare and parade march as the yanks storm in and bomb the hell outta them? Course not, they start building nuclear weapons to tell the yanks to bugger off!!

Still not worried though, far more important things to worry about in the world today - such as the Pope resigning. I mean, if thats not end of the world biblical stuff then I dont know what is!!!!

Also, Just because they can make one test explosion does not mean they have any deliverable weapons. The processes involved in refining uranium and making in into plutonium are so complicated and resource hungry, that it probably took them years to get enough fissile material together for this blast.
Chances are they used up all their stash in this test. When they start testing on a near weekly basis like the Americans used to, that's when you know they have plutonium going spare.

[/tries to reasure the younger members while running to the nearest caves along with The Man]

This is rather worrying. But as Diogo has pointed out they probably don't have loads of plutonium laying about so hopefully it won't become a regular thing.

But has anyone checked the doomsday clock to see what that says. Must be getting ever closer to midnight.

I have posted before about a incident during the cold war between Russia and the USA and a Russian sub had a nuclear torpedo loaded in its tubes and ready to fire before the political officer on board vetoed the launch.
So in terms of being close to nuclear war I feel we are a good way off yet. We have been a lot lot closer before.

Still don't want North Korea thinking its a good idea to go throwing nuclear weapons around.

There's nothing worrying about this. Aside from highly provocative language, North Korea has never demonstrated outward aggressive intentions.

Don't believe American spin about Communism yet again, enough people have been killed by that already. However, given that North Korea is without oil, I can't see military action happening any time soon.

For somethings there is no rational explanation, there is no is no way out, there is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown, welcome to eternal darkness, welcome.....to nuclear war.

Just a little aside, which I hope is not too off-topic:

Did you know that it takes more people to dispatch The Swarm than it does to fire an (American) nuclear missile? Swarm requires all four station hosts to hold their enable buttons, before the op can press dispatch. A US missile requires the order from the president, then two operators to turn their keys and press fire.

Makes you think, huh?

I dont know what all the panic is.....just send in Team America .... F yeah!!!! Lol

Dont forget the secret signal!!!!

The Cold War was nothing more than a situation of the rest of the world being scared of America - after all it had just dropped two atomic bombs, killing tens of thousands of innocent people. The Cold War was a phrase invented by the Americans to demonise naturally inward-looking countries.

America developed nuclear weapons, used them, and in turn other countries rightly decided that they need to have an answer to such arrogance.

There will never been a conflict with North Korea unless someone else strikes it first.

DiogoJ42 said:
Just a little aside, which I hope is not too off-topic:

Did you know that it takes more people to dispatch The Swarm than it does to fire an (American) nuclear missile? Swarm requires all four station hosts to hold their enable buttons, before the op can press dispatch. A US missile requires the order from the president, then two operators to turn their keys and press fire.

Makes you think, huh?

"Weps, spin up missiles 2 though 4. Ex O, verify that firing order is authentic." "I concur Sir, order is authentic." "Ex-O, insert firing key into the command module"

Yes, I have watched too much Crimson Tide/Hunt for Red October :p