• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

North Korea

Bear

TS Member
... and apparently they mean it this time. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/world/asia/north-korea-vows-nuclear-test-as-threats-intensify.html?_r=0

American intelligence officials state that it could be up to three years before NK's long-range missiles could reach mainland USA, at present they could do little more than blow up Hawaii (I mean, no big deal right?)

So the possibility of nuclear war is becoming more and more real. How long until the UK are roped into this nonsense do you reckon? I'd give it a few months.

Rather scared of North Korea and do uk have nuclear weapons ???

josht said:

At this day in age I wouldn't be surprised if everyone had nuclear weapons... ::)

josht said:

Yes they do -
Link.

Trident is the name of the British nuclear arsenal, the warheads are equipped on four Vanguard class submarines based in Scotland. There is no point carrying warheads on aircraft or having a fixed ground base because they become easy targets and the first targets of the enemy attack so the warheads are put on near undetectable submarines.

I'm not too worried about Korea's threat - They've tested nuclear bombs in the past (
2006 and 2009) but they haven't sorted out their delivery method yet - A few of you may recall a failed test in 2012 where the rocket just broke up and crashed in the Pacific much to the amusement of the US (source).

Korea like to rock the boat but they aren't really too much of a threat as I said above until they sort out their delivery method they can't really do much with the weapons they posses which is believe to be less than 10 - Not exactly devastating. A bigger concern would be tensions between them and South Korea they did attack a Southern Korean island with an artillery strike a few years back (source).

I, personally, would be more worried about the dispute between India and Pakistan both are strong nuclear powers and bitter enemies. Also the Iranian nuclear programme raises some eyebrows despite strong claims that the Iranians are using it for power only.

All in all it's nothing to worry about if you spend all your time worrying you'd never step outside so don't let it bother you it'll be forgotten about in a week.

So there is no need to start watching Protect and Survive or Threads! :D

Have you heard what they said on the news today? Have you heard what they said about us all? That the world as we know it, will be coming to an end, have you heard? Have you heard?

Fredward said:
Have you heard what they said on the news today? Have you heard what they said about us all? That the world as we know it, will be coming to an end, have you heard? Have you heard?
Why am I not surprised you posted this, Matt? :p

Forgive me, but it usually works like this:

Portrayed as having weapons of mass destruction (but actually doesn't) + large oil reserves = Attack by the United States

Has weapons of mass destruction + no oil reserves = No attack by the United States

LOL.

Clearly most people round here are too young to remember what a real threat of nuclear war feels like. This is just an idiot flicking a wet towel at the nads of a guy with a gun.

It's Israel / Iran you should be keeping an eye on. If anyone is ever likely to use nukes in anger, it's them.

DiogoJ42 said:
LOL.

Clearly most people round here are too young to remember what a real threat of nuclear war feels like. This is just an idiot flicking a wet towel at the nads of a guy with a gun.

It's Israel / Iran you should be keeping an eye on. If anyone is ever likely to use nukes in anger, it's them.

You were only 3 or 4 years old when that was going on!

At it's peak, maybe. But the cold war still lingered on till I was about ten. Since I took an interest in military hardware from a young age, I was a lot more aware than most of my friends at the time.

Put it this way: I'm old enough to remember there being a large green pole on the roof of our post office, with an "4 minute warning" klaxton on top of it.

These idiots waving their nuclear weapons or threats around like some cock fight is ridiculous in this day and age.

What kind of backward morons are these people? There is a big red planet not too far away, already desolate thanks to radiation, why don't you use that fuel to power a rocket and do us all a favour and f off.

Ta

TheMan said:
What kind of backward morons are these people? There is a big red planet not too far away, already desolate thanks to radiation, why don't you use that fuel to power a rocket and do us all a favour and f off.

Ta

Well they can't ... Not in Korean rockets anyway!

How+to+win+arguements+Like+a+Sir+_da249b8c2c07496f1410edec900d8dd5.jpg

Jonathan said:
Fredward said:
Why am I not surprised you posted this, Matt? :p

I don't know, why? ;)

There is not a leader in this world stupid enough to launch a nuclear attack on another country unless it was attacked first.
Why would they, they know by doing so they are going to be completely wiped out in retaliation.

N.Korea does not posses the first strike ability to stop the US responding properly. The US would retaliate and wipe out N.Korea but China in their alliance with N.Korea would be dragged in which is pretty scary...with the US and China going at it, Iran will see the opportunity to flex its muscles and nuke Israel which will nuke back.....we would be dragged in and end up getting nuked ourselves.....and the thought of that happening scares me.

EDIT

If you have any doubts how bad it will be,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg#

Warning of disturbing scenes and the seeing of the stark, grim truth of nuclear war.

I'm more afraid of the US to be honest. If anyone has proved themselves arrogant and barbaric enough to use weapons of mass destruction, it's them.

Further to the issue of Iran and North Korea, how on earth can we condemn their Nuclear programmes when the UK, the US and the likes, have constantly been increasing our own? It's hardly surprising that they want nukes when we pose such a threat against them.

We need to negotiate peace terms where we promise to dismantle our weapons if our 'enemies' promise to dismantle or stop producing their own, rather than arrogantly condemning other countries but refusing to see ourselves as being a serious part of the problem.

If we don't do that, we could well go extinct.

Also, whilst we're on the issue of international weapons of mass destruction, this may be a kids story, but it has such strength of message:

Dr. Seuss - The Butter Battle Book (1989)

Nuclear weapons are another example of the inherent paranoia that runs through every element of the United States and its people - from the man in the street that feels the need to protect himself with a gun, to the government that feels the need to invent and maintain the atomic bomb as a defence against non-existent threats.