• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion: General Discussion

I mean, one thing we will know for certain when they decide to retrack Oblivion... At least it will actually be 90 degrees this time!

Why does everyone assume re tracking is a thing now on the basis that Nemesis got re tracked? I am not specifically talking about you, but people seem to think re tracks are coming to most of the rides at Towers now. I don't get it. There is little logic to that conclusion, for many reasons.

Nemesis is one of two B&Ms in existence to ever get a retrack, it is one of the most forceful B&Ms, so it was inevitable if they wanted to keep it. The other was ran hard, very hard all it's life, so also was inevitable. Nemesis was the exception., the exception world wide in fact and certainly not the normal.

There are plenty of B&Ms in existence going strong today that are much older than the original Nemesis. I would bet that Oblvion is no where needing a re track. The forces applied on the ride are no where near that of Nemesis, where forces are the highest, the track is extremely well supported due to being bolted to the base of a concrete tunnel, which acts as a giant footer.

I can't see a re track coming to Oblivion in honesty, not because they plan removing it, but I doubt it will be needed for a long, long time. Much longer than the Nemesis case.

I don't see that much of a purpose for a SRQ Oblivion is great at queue munching lol. Could imagine it would help with the opening chaos for sure though.
Single rider queue on Oblivion was efficient, and meant many happy punters got a walk on ride, often.
Every seat filled, on every car, with fast dual loading stations was a thing of great beauty, thoosie wise...never stopping, ever shuffling queue.
It only cost a single member of staff on the end gate, a decent despatcher could cover the post alone at times, a joy to watch.
Human tetris of the finest order.

It could have been done for many reasons, but ‘Ministry of Joy’ and its logo have been trademarked in May.

Probably best not to read too much into it but it does seem odd to do it only after 12 years of its existence. Makes you wonder whether they have further plans to develop this. As it stands there is no denying that X Sector and Forbidden Valley now have very similar VIBES.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Single rider queue on Oblivion was efficient, and meant many happy punters got a walk on ride, often.
Every seat filled, on every car, with fast dual loading stations was a thing of great beauty, thoosie wise...never stopping, ever shuffling queue.
It only cost a single member of staff on the end gate, a decent despatcher could cover the post alone at times, a joy to watch.
Human tetris of the finest order.
But why spend money on reinstating the SRQ when you can force single riders to purchase fast tracks, especially those who don’t want to leave their partner on their own for 45 minutes?

All about the moolar these days!

SRQs increase guest satisfaction, and most people that use them wouldn't buy fasttrack in my opinion. If they were that concerned I doubt they would have a SRQ on the Smiler, and some of the new additions seen at Thorpe and Chessie.

If they're completing major work to Oblivions station, theres nothing stopping them adding an extra lane for a SRQ.

If I recall correctly, and you are really taking an old git back here, it was sort of a treble level plinth, with supporting towers on three sides I think, one side sat in the ground contour.
So base, sub platform level, and platform level.
Then the mound was built from the excavation material for the enormous hole (such a bloody waste for a hole that big).

SRQs increase guest satisfaction, and most people that use them wouldn't buy fasttrack in my opinion. If they were that concerned I doubt they would have a SRQ on the Smiler, and some of the new additions seen at Thorpe and Chessie.

If they're completing major work to Oblivions station, theres nothing stopping them adding an extra lane for a SRQ.
Doesn’t make them extra money though.

That’s the reason why there aren’t any. Apart from the bone grinding black hole’s patch stealing mould machine of course.

Doesn’t make them extra money though.

That’s the reason why there aren’t any. Apart from the bone grinding black hole’s patch stealing mould machine of course.

The Smiler gets some of the longest queues in the park - if there was a policy of no SRQs to drive fastrack sales that ride would be ripe for removing it, but they haven’t.

It is far more likely to be that the addition of SRQs doesn’t increase throughput or actually slows it down (as it used to with Nemesis), the queue configuration doesn’t allow for it or it requires an extra staff member to be paid which increases costs.

The Smiler gets some of the longest queues in the park - if there was a policy of no SRQs to drive fastrack sales that ride would be ripe for removing it, but they haven’t.

It is far more likely to be that the addition of SRQs doesn’t increase throughput or actually slows it down (as it used to with Nemesis), the queue configuration doesn’t allow for it or it requires an extra staff member to be paid which increases costs.
With smiler it had an advantage of being created with queues for all possibilities. Given so, the single rider queue is never really that busy. People rarely go in singles to the park and others don’t like being spilt up. Compare the length of queue to the main queue and it’s a very small percentage that use it. With the configuration now I wouldn’t be surprised if it was removed at some point in the future.

Oblivion existed before Rap, fast track etc. it makes no economic sense to add a single rider line back to the station, extra work for no logical gain from their perspective apart from pleasing a few more guests that get on an already decent throughput ride.

Worth noting the Oblivion was built before SRQs were a thing. They retrofitted it by awkwardly splitting the two queues into three and were only able to do so because the right hand side had long since been repurposed for FT. Nevertheless, it was a conscious decision to spend money on adding a SRQ with a 3rd bridge to the station. Towers now consider having 2 RAP entrances more useful than one RAP entrance and a SRQ but in theory they could easily change it back.

That said, you should never have more than 1 single rider per shuttle on Oblivion and with good batching no more than 1 for every 4 rows (if you pair up odd numbered groups), The SRQ working well on Oblivion would just be a sign of either poor batching or simply reflect the high capacity of the ride overall.