• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Parc Astérix : Goudurix Retracking

It does look nice. And it is also a symbol for the park. It has been there since the park opened.
I understand their choice to keep it, just sad that it is so bad.

Probably the best Vekoma looper/corkscrew style coaster I've been on...

Damning with faint praise indeed... But it's definitely better than Garda's or Heide's...

Latino Party - The Party
Goudurix is famous! It was used in a music video years ago in 1990. :p
This makes me laugh every time. According to the video, it already was painfull at that time.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: All the best 90's dance tunes had their video filmed in front of thrill rides. :p

Is it just me... Or does this really just look far to complex and ridiculous to even be a remotely practical solution!!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

All images can be seen here, on the ameworld.net forums.

Surely it would have been easier to unscrew the sections and get a crane to lift them down and move them to a factory somewhere?

BigDave said:
Surely it would have been easier to unscrew the sections and get a crane to lift them down and move them to a factory somewhere?

Yeah you'd think so, or just construct some new track!

I agree, but the park decided to keep the coaster as it is the Symbol for many visitors. In France, you can find some reports, made by non enthusiast guest, arguing that goudurix is better than Oz'Iris (WTF! xD ).

Also the retracking will not be completed this year, that 2nd phase, the Butterfly loop, will apparently be done for 2014.

Edit : some other photos from potionmagix
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

This is going to go all kinds of wrong.

I don't doubt that they'll have done it safely, I doubt if it will actually achieve anything.

I read the thread title and thought "Ah, a re-track, it's good to see a wooden coaster being looked after." Then it registered that Gouderix is a steel coaster and my mind was blown.

This seems like an odd move on many levels. Firstly, the reason Vekoma coasters get so rough isn't the track, it's the train design.

Coaster cars need some wiggle room to negotiate corners and twists. Manufacturers such as B&M and Intamin use wheelsets with rubber inserts that allow for this movement and keep the wheels pressed against the rails. Older Vekoma trains get around the problem with the ingenious solution of just leaving a gap between the wheels and the track. This is the reason for the trademark slam into the restraint every time the train turns a corner.

The track on Goudurix had probably taken a bit of a beating and this may improve the ride quality for a while but if they don't change the trains, the problem won't be solved.

Secondly, as others have said, you'd think that they could save some money by just hiring a crane but I can think of possible reasons why they might choose to do it this way.

I doubt this has an impact but the chassis of both trains have been changed in 2010 (the new ones are heavier)

The retracking (Phase 1) is now completed.

The coaster is now testing, untill at least saturday.
file.php

According to Potionmagix, the train is now going too fast (about 10sec faster than before for a completed ride) and they are trying to solve the problem.
Also first result show that the Lateral G Force has been reduced by 1G. Sounds like a good result.

It really is good to see them putting this much effort in, but I cant help but think that just buying some of them new Vekoma trains would be much more beneficial.

The new trains with vest restrains should be mandatory on all Vekomas.

Leave it until they can afford a replacement.

The park don't often install new rides, but hopefully this can be made a priority - although it's worth remembering Goudurix is an iconic ride in France.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2