• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Parc Astérix : Goudurix Retracking

Pedro

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Expedition Ge Force
The fansite Potionmagix reveals that the "famous" coaster Goudurix is being retracked during the closed season.
Goudurix is known as one of the worst coaster in the world, and is often at the very last place in the Mitch Hawker Poll.

I translated for you what Potionmagix says (apologise if the translation isnt 100% correct :p ) :

Over the years, a coaster track deforms and this phenomenon causes mechanical problems on trains and / or problems of passenger comfort. There may also be problems in the design of the track, which over time get worse. Goudurix knows these two problems, and thus, after 23 seasons of operation, the Vekoma engineers will attempt a retracking ...

- 1988: Goudurix is ​​built with design problems recognized by Vekoma
- 2000: Trains are modified and various tests of different types of wheels
- 2007: The electric Process is totaly replaced
- 2007: The station is themed giant Drakkar
- 2009: The rails are scraped, cleaned and repainted
- 2010: The chassis of both trains are replaced by new ( that are heavier)
- 2011: Attempting to change the wheel axles

So what is a retracking? And why did this happen?
First, the circuit design, it is a known problem in some parts of the track or cornering too sharp turs.In the time, the tracks deforms slightly, which changes the behavior of the train. The rails were scraped to remove all blisters in 2009, but this has not had much effect on a possible reduction of the vibrations of trains. Side wheels more "stuck" to the rails are being tested since 2011, but it is not enough especially with the current state of the track, we can not really stick to the rails if the process may crash. The mandatory change of all chassis in 2010 exacerbated the problem because they are heavier, the forces exerted on the track and the passengers are worse than before. The only way to try to resolve this problem, is to rework tracks from the problematic track... It is the retracking ... 99.99% and it is for this winter!

The latest measures G-forces felt by passengers carried with TUV showed that reached the legal limit. It's been two years that the park harass Vekoma to find a solution, they finally came, it was in December 2012, they took action ...

file.php

And now? Here is the potential program for the coming weeks ...

image.php

1) Draining the lake water level to the foundation of Goudurix (1week)
2) Installation of two huge scaffolding to the second loop and the butterfly (2 weeks)
3) retracking track on these three loops more or less red (1 week)
4) To March 18 trains are back and the first tests will be done with Vekoma
5) If the tests are not good, more retracking and risk of delayed opening

- Scaffolding will be designed so that the tests can take place without the need to disassemble. In addition, being very heavy, in theory they can not be placed on the tarp at the bottom of the lake itself is based on the natural source from below, so they should build on the foundation pillars of the coaster.

- The technique for retracking is to cut the ties, rails replace or force them to take another form, then resolder the sleepers

To be continued...

I personnaly dont think this is a good idea, as the coaster will remain bad, even if it is a very famous ride of Parc astérix. I still think it needs to be destroyed and replaced by something else.

I don't think the track work is the problem, it's the train.

Well, the track work isn't the main problem anyway... (IMO)

Lordy said:

Have you ever seen a mounted POV of this ride? The track geometry is terrible! I'm glad they're finally doing something about it rather than just leaving it to fester (cough LIGHTWATER VALLEY).

Bear said:
Lordy said:

Have you ever seen a mounted POV of this ride? The track geometry is terrible! I'm glad they're finally doing something about it rather than just leaving it to fester (cough LIGHTWATER VALLEY).

To be fair, I think they are only doing something because they legally have to, or close it!

Kinda disappointed I really wanted to ride it to see if really was as bad as people say it was!

I rode it in April and had been told it was the roughest and worst coaster ever! Because of this bad reputation it didn't actually seem that bad, so much so that I went on it twice! :p It is rough, but it's not quite as bad as it is made out to be. I enjoyed it in a wrong kind of way!

:)

Yeah I've seen a POV, and I've been on it.

Getting Vekoma's new trains would be money very well spent, it's a great coaster.

Rob said:
I rode it in April and had been told it was the roughest and worst coaster ever! Because of this bad reputation it didn't actually seem that bad, so much so that I went on it twice! :p It is rough, but it's not quite as bad as it is made out to be. I enjoyed it in a wrong kind of way!

:)

I know what you mean here. Yes, it's rough and yes it's badly engineered, but I think the reputation it has actually makes it out to be even worse than it actually is. It isn't, for example, the worst coaster I have ever been on.

That said, it isn't great either - it needs serious work because with Oz'Iris and Tonnerre de Zeus in the park, this ride just looks like some kind of third wheel.

Well the worst single blow to the head I ever took from an OTSR was on Python in 2011. (Though for a sustained headbanging Infusion still tops my list). I was amazed by the difference new trains made to Python. Surely this would be the first thing to do to any rough Jerkoma?

Since I've not been to Asterix, I'm glad they are keeping this... "interesting" credit going, rather than just scrapping it. I hope I get to ride it one day.

Sustained head banging is for Corkie when it was at Flamingo Land.....

It is one of the only rides I would take pleasure in seeing melted down.

I went on it this year not knowing of its reputation. It was worse than anything I have ever ridden and just as bad as everything I have seen written about it since.

I quite like rough coasters and hate the thought of H+S based toning down of stuff, but this was well beyond comfortable and seriously cracked my neck in a way I would consider dangerous. I would not go on it again, wifey said exactly the same.

I would have thought it was beyond repair economically. Good on them for trying I guess and it'll be interesting to find out how good they can get it, but I wouldn't have bothered.

I wonder if Vekoma is paying part (all?) of this retracking, as they assume the coaster was bad designed at the beginning.

It'd be good if Vekoma could just finally accept that their track/train designs are flawed and just change them for the betterment of future coasters.

Well they have. New Vekomas use a track style similar to what Schwartzkopf used to use. .. 30 years ago.

DiogoJ42 said:
Well they have. New Vekomas use a track style similar to what Schwartzkopf used to use. .. 30 years ago.

Well...the last SLC they built in 2010 has the same track. They're building a new one this year in Iraq so we'll see whether they use the new track on that. Not likely IMO.

Is it a standard model? If so it'd make sense to just churn out another clone on the cheap. I'd have though any new unique layouts would use the new style though, since the Battlestar Galactica inverted side uses new track and trains.

DiogoJ42 said:
Is it a standard model? If so it'd make sense to just churn out another clone on the cheap. I'd have though any new unique layouts would use the new style though, since the Battlestar Galactica inverted side uses new track and trains.

It is a standard yes, but it's pretty poor to have developed a new track but not use it on all new coasters? I have sampled the new track in Muntanya Russa at Tibidabo and it is very smooth, although that was 2 years ago. I am going back this year so will report on whether the classic Vekoma roughness is beginning to seep in. :p

Another point for "I've been on worse coasters than this one"...

However, an improvement to the track shape/transitions might actually make a difference (as well as new trains)...

There is apparently no plan for changing the trains, but I agree that new Vekoma Trains would be needed to improve the coaster even more.

If it's going to Iraq, I doubt there'll change the track style. The country is hardly a hotbed of high-quality coasters against which they have to compete.

Why don't they just tear this down? Like Efteling, I can't understand PA's attachment to keeping their painful, boring and ugly old Vekoma...

^ I take it you haven't been on it then? It's far from boring, and I think it's a pretty attractive coaster.

h8h68o4qg5sc001t8n194c.jpg