• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Audio, Lighting and Everything Geeky

Um, yes and no but you're clearly guessing? I mean I was speaking from experience and what I understand to be the case, but if this is a guessing game, then...

Nice edit there Bill, I'm a big boy, I can handle you telling me to learn things before commenting on them ;)
Did I hit a nerve, were you the one who installed Alton's poor audio? :p;)

My knowledge is more club audio I'm afraid so I will yield at park audio knowledge, my ex is an AV tech in Vegas and I've listened to him waffle on about stuff enough as well.

lol literally re-read all my posts and you'll see at no point am I saying it's wrong that Alton Towers have stopped using Bose. I said that the original Bose system in Hex worked fine so why make it worse? No doubt you will continue with this bizarre trajectory that I'm a Bose fanboy and am trying to defend spending more on worse products for some reason, so I won't bother to explain myself anymore.

May I propose a name change to "electricBOSE" :D

Bose use cheap components and advertise heavily, their products are sub-par at best and you don't need me to tell you that, a quick search in Google will tell you all you need to know about Bose and their entire product range. From my own personal experiences Bose speakers are over priced tat and my listening experience at Alton of Bose speakers has always been less than enjoyable. :)

Bose use cheap components and advertise heavily, their products are sub-par at best and you don't need me to tell you that, a quick search in Google will tell you all you need to know about Bose and their entire product range. From my own personal experiences Bose speakers are over priced tat and my listening experience at Alton of Bose speakers has always been less than enjoyable. :)

Damn right, Bose have always been marketing over manufacturing.

Yes I edited my post to make my point better, but think you should learn things about how audio is handled at Merlin parks if you're going to so adamantly comment on it, instead of "suggesting" and thinking what "strikes" you to be the case. No I have never worked for Alton Towers.

Since this topic farted itself to death, just wanted to echo this is point which is the most worthwhile in the thread:
Ohm speakers are very good arguably better than Bose in certain scenarios. Especially where high levels of sound re enforcement are required. But if the system isn't tuned properly it is not going to sound good regardless of the manufacturer.

Yes I edited my post to make my point better, but think you should learn things about how audio is handled at Merlin parks if you're going to so adamantly comment on it, instead of "suggesting" and thinking what "strikes" you to be the case, and judging things according to brand.

Since this topic farted itself to death, just wanted to echo this is point which is the most worthwhile in the thread:

Hence my audio engineers comment about Hex, why would they bring in audio engineers if they had a team already in place. I think it was a fair assumption earlier if they're bringing in external support. Come on Bill, was it you that installed poorly? is that why you're so angry? did you break the audio at Alton? :p

Older Bose speakers were great, that's why Oblivion and Nemesis (station only) still have the originals. The newer Bose speakers used in Sub-terror and here and there though out the park broke quickly.

This is beacuse in around 2009-10 Bose changed a lot of its product lineup. They discontinued the 32SE which could last ages outdoors, the 252 and reduced the quality of the Freespace 51.

Last edited:
If it's fine with you I'd like to use the consumer brand ALDI to further prove this point. I know ALDI don't produce 'permanent outdoor speakers' but they do however offer the same quality food in most cases than their rivals at a much cheaper price. Further to the first quote, why have ALDI taken a huge share of the market? it certainly wasn't their name was it? it was about offering the same quality for a lower price

Not really related to the topic, but that's not really true. Brand perception and the way Aldi market their products is why they've been successful. They don't actually offer many different prices on most standard goods than their competitors at all, sometimes they are more expensive actually!

What they do is make up brand names for their own label goods and compare them to more expensive products. So they would compare their own "Bixies" wheat biscuits to Weetabix and highlight the price difference. Actually, if they compared these to Tesco own label wheat biscuits, which may even have came off the same production line, the price difference would be much smaller or the same.

But anyway, back to speakers.......

Well this topic has taken a turn for the worse! The point of this was to discuss the change in audio supplier around the park, whether it's nessasary, whether it'll make the park experience any better or worse! Non of us here are biased towards any manufacturer we're just having a casual discussion about the change and whether it's a good change or not. It's true that Bose used to make far better speakers than they do now, you can see that as a testiment to the many that still work after 20 years of use! We take Hex as an example where the Bose system install in there was in place for 16 years and was still going strong. The argument was whether there was a point in spending the money on a replacement that is arguably worse!

This topic consists of non-audio techs arguing about crap speakers, playing crap music, in a crap theme park.

Whatever will be next.

And by the way, this "contract with bose has ended" nonsense is actually old AF. The speakers in Terror of The Towers have been Ohm since at least 2008.

-EDIT- and for the record I love both Bose and Ohm. Bose especially, their professional systems can deliver some serious punch on a well tuned stage set up. The problem at Towers is idiot staff over the years tinkering with things they don't understand, like changing the amplifiers and running Bose speakers through the wrong speaker management hardware. There's a big difference between domestic set ups and 100v line systems used in places like theme parks. Just because DJ Johnny C on the Tea Cups ride knows how plug in a set of decks in his bedroom doesn't mean he knows anything about a professional install system.

Last edited:
and for the record I love both Bose and Ohm. Bose especially, their professional systems can deliver some serious punch on a well tuned stage set up. The problem at Towers is idiot staff over the years tinkering with things they don't understand, like changing the amplifiers and running Bose speakers through the wrong speaker management hardware. There's a big difference between domestic set ups and 100v line systems used in places like theme parks.
Yes, this was my point since the start, although I seemed to say it in Chinese to some. I've also had audio tech experience in parks.

But I wouldnt call the Towers team idiots - pros cost more and Merlin like to save, so for someone less experienced to be given too much responsibilty, its not necessarily their fault. And unfortunately going beyond their technical means is encouraged to give the management more result without paying for anything professional, the excuse being "no one will notice" the lesser quality results.

Last edited:
and for the record I love both Bose and Ohm. Bose especially, their professional systems can deliver some serious punch on a well tuned stage set up. The problem at Towers is idiot staff over the years tinkering with things they don't understand, like changing the amplifiers and running Bose speakers through the wrong speaker management hardware. There's a big difference between domestic set ups and 100v line systems used in places like theme parks. Just because DJ Johnny C on the Tea Cups ride knows how plug in a set of decks in his bedroom doesn't mean he knows anything about a professional install system.
I completely agree with this. In terms of sound quality, Ohm have the potential to sound better if set-up correctly. In terms of weatherproofing, Bose's older equipment can last 20+ outdoors.
100v is a lot more than plugging speakers in then turning a amplifier on and expecting high quality sound. You have to do some calculations to check if it matches the equipment used in the installation, otherwise distortion, poor quality sound and an inconsistent volume between the speakers could occur.
If you have system that works well with one amplifier and it breaks, a different one could completely ruin the sound system even if it has the same or similar specs.

Ohm speakers have dedicated woofers so they would definitely sound nice if they're set up right. Bose speakers are some of the best for weatherproof speakers, although they might have faltered a bit in recent years they really do show their worth when they still work after 20+ years.

I do own several Bose consumer products which might cause some controversy on here and we have a Bose Acoustimass system installed in our office at work. However, I've used JBL Control One's before, several Yamaha systems, HK Audio Systems and to be honest the sound difference is marginal between all these brands but the key is how they're setup, it's what determines how good they sound at the end of the day.

Ohm speakers have dedicated woofers so they would definitely sound nice if they're set up right. Bose speakers are some of the best for weatherproof speakers, although they might have faltered a bit in recent years they really do show their worth when they still work after 20+ years.

I do own several Bose consumer products which might cause some controversy on here and we have a Bose Acoustimass system installed in our office at work. However, I've used JBL Control One's before, several Yamaha systems, HK Audio Systems and to be honest the sound difference is marginal between all these brands but the key is how they're setup, it's what determines how good they sound at the end of the day.
I have to agree with your points.
The JBL Control One's are amazing for their size and price! I'm thinking about buying a pair soon.

I have to agree with your points.
The JBL Control One's are amazing for their size and price! I'm thinking about buying a pair soon.

They really are, you can't go wrong for £100 a pair! I've got mine installed on my bedroom walls, they do lack low end a little but they're super bright and clear.

They really are, you can't go wrong for £100 a pair! I've got mine installed on my bedroom walls, they do lack low end a little but they're super bright and clear.
That's why you see them everywhere, even Disney stores!