• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

After Thatchers children were given the repeated mantra that "Greed is Good", then "There is no Alternative"...what do you expect?
The hard lurch to the right shows through the generations...
Us boomers were raised in a period of peace, love and understanding, post war, after a long period of national hardship.
But we were taught to share, care and ration...not very modern words.

Reactions: Tom
I dunno, care and love of fellows in regards to LGBTQ+ seems to be more around the younger generations. Most TERFs tend to be older.

A lot of boomers also seem to think they fought in the war. Or believe the stories of true heroism that were happening at home whilst ignoring the looting and other negatives of the "Blitz Spirit".

Every generation has its share of awful humans.

But there also seems to be a lot of those hoisting the ladder up and some real loss of sense in the modern problems due to survivor bias (I.e. "Well I bought a house on my wage alone even though houses were affordable then"). To also add on that some people seem to not want to be dragged into the modern day where having dyslexia or the like is real and not just being termed "stupid" by the teacher as they cane you for writing incorrectly.

Think a key thing especially recently is that some were born in a world with lots of rights and allowances which are being taken away by a select group of rich people who insist on looking out for the weak and downtrodden. Started with free milk and now freedom of movement within the EU.

And the Tory sleaze just goes on and on. These people. These people we have elected to represent us.

After a 3-4 month silence, Liz Truss is staging a return to frontline politics, with both a 4,000 word opinion piece in the The Telegraph and an interview with The Spectator having been released today.

Here’s the interview, if any of you would like to watch it:

The interesting thing to note is that Truss is very defiant. She states that she “didn’t get everything right”, but she seems keen to stress that her position was the right one and that the “economic orthodoxy” and inherent “resistance” were the architects of her downfall.

For instance, she says that her and Kwarteng were not informed about issues with the bond markets prior to the Mini-Budget, caused by LDIs (liability driven investments), and she states that they would have acted differently had they known.

She also feels that her mandate was not respected, and that blaming her for current interest rates and mortgage rates is “unfair” given the LDI issues.

She is keen to make the argument for low taxes, and there is talk that Truss and her allies could prove to be quite a thorn in Rishi Sunak’s side over the next few months… with that being said, Truss insisted in the interview that she will support Sunak.

I must admit, it’s interesting to hear about what happened from her point of view, even if I’ll admit that her defiance does surprise me a bit. What do you guys think?

So basically, it's not her fault that she's an idiot? She can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. People's pensions nearly collapsed and I know people who are selling their houses because they can't afford their mortgages. Until she has something worthwhile to say, she and the corrupt Boris can crawl back in to that hole they came from and let the grown ups sort out their mess.

After a 3-4 month silence, Liz Truss is staging a return to frontline politics, with both a 4,000 word opinion piece in the The Telegraph and an interview with The Spectator having been released today.

Here’s the interview, if any of you would like to watch it:

The interesting thing to note is that Truss is very defiant. She states that she “didn’t get everything right”, but she seems keen to stress that her position was the right one and that the “economic orthodoxy” and inherent “resistance” were the architects of her downfall.

For instance, she says that her and Kwarteng were not informed about issues with the bond markets prior to the Mini-Budget, caused by LDIs (liability driven investments), and she states that they would have acted differently had they known.

She also feels that her mandate was not respected, and that blaming her for current interest rates and mortgage rates is “unfair” given the LDI issues.

She is keen to make the argument for low taxes, and there is talk that Truss and her allies could prove to be quite a thorn in Rishi Sunak’s side over the next few months… with that being said, Truss insisted in the interview that she will support Sunak.

I must admit, it’s interesting to hear about what happened from her point of view, even if I’ll admit that her defiance does surprise me a bit. What do you guys think?

1) it’s on record she was warned about the bond markets.

2) She had no mandate as she wasn’t elected via a general election.

3) all respected economists say she was mad about tax cuts in the current climate.

The Tory’s always mess up the economy, the media just covers for them.

Last edited:
It isn't her fault she is an idiot though.
She was deluded, she remains deluded.
It is the cretins in her party that voted for her...her biggest redeeming feature for the party "elders"...the colour of her skin compared to the alternative.

Gotta get back on that PR trail.

See also Johnson going on about how Putin was threatening to bomb us if we supported Ukraine. Funny how all this comes up whilst Sunak reaches an extraordinarily low approval rating (-20!) and the party is in disarray.

Truss being that turd that refuses to flush like a lot of her fellow party members. And of course its never THEIR fault. Zero responsibility and deflection whilst the rabid supporters lap it up because its "putting it to the Libs" or whatever nonsense they spout these days.

So tomorrow Boris Johnson will appear in front of the Privileges Committee accused of misleading Parliament over the whole Partygate saga.

From what I can tell, Boris Johnson's defence is that he's stupid rather than a liar (genuinely thought the parties were all fine and in accordance with the law).

The decision of the Committee is likely to come around May, when it will then be for Parliament to vote whether to impose the sanction or not. A suspension over 10 days could lead to a by-election of his constituency.

Unlikely with the Tories' majority, but one can be hope.
The vote in the Commons? I'm not so sure.

I actually think the majority of Conservatives would know how bad it would look to get their ex-boss off the hook, and for the most part they're not all that bothered about Johnson. Better to cut him loose than do further damage to their party.

Sunak has said it will be a free vote also.

Such gaslighting.

Misled parliament but not intentionally. Which is almost as bad as saying "I'm sorry for how you took my behaviour".

If the country had any decency he would've been sacked as a MP, and forbidden from standing in any government related role. Then flogged in Trafalgar Square by Corbyn for good measure.

But he'll get away with it. Again. Probably get Carrie up the duff again as a distraction technique.

Reactions: D4n