• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paulton's Park 2013: 4D cinema

Sam

TS Member
Just posted this on Facebook:

386991_10150982625606603_1575804482_n.jpg

"Exciting news for 2013... can you crack the code? ;-)"

Anyone work it out before I do?

Re: Paulton's Park 2013: unknown new development

Well that's a code used for finding the individual values of “a” in a Mathematical Matrix.

Not really sure what it could mean. I doubt their new attraction is based on The Matrix :p

My friend who does a maths degree:

What's that?
Mathematically that makes little sense
that's something called a column vector
It says that something called 'a' has 4 elements, labelled a1, a2, a3, a4
They could sometimes represent spatial dimensions
So 'a' could be a 4 dimensional object
But it's not very meaningful
Can also be called a column matrix

:-\

Tis indeed a column vector, and the four planes to me signify four "dimensions", so a 4D cinema perhaps?

Paultons Park posted this second "teaser" earlier:

217983_10150986110866603_1420163083_n.jpg

So obviously it is a 4D cinema!

:)

Paulton's Park 2013: unknown new development

The a one referred to the 4th dimension as I think an object is a1 by a2 by a3
Then of course the glasses are the dead give away lol

Nothing to see here. Move along.

And there I was thinking it would be a 200ft B&M wing rider with rotating seats and fire! :-\

I think it's pretty good to be honest for a small family park, if done well it could be a great 4D cinema ;D If they're building it from scratch it could have some brilliant features!

There's no such thing as a "great" 4D cinema. It'll be the same old calf slappers, kindney pokers, and lap splatters.

It surprises me that 4D Cinema's have seen a revival lately. With 3D films being all too common (and already losing popularity) and 3D TV's slowly entering the market I just can’t understand why parks are re-jumping on a bandwagon they decided was outdated years ago.

I’m sure that it’ll be a decent investment for Paulton's but I can’t see why anyone would be excited by this.

I think it's a case of "well if 'Park X' has one, they must be good!"
...Not realising that 'Park X' only got one because it was cheap.

DiogoJ42 said:
I think it's a case of "well if 'Park X' has one, they must be good!"
...Not realising that 'Park X' only got one because it was cheap.

Annoyingly true. At least 4D's are decent enough for filler attractions or on rainy days. But they seem so pointless when you can get the same experience by taking a fan and some confetti into a regular 3D cinema.

Slightly off topic as this doesn't quite apply to 4D Cinema's or Paulton's but it’s annoying that several parks (most notably Drayton Manor and Flamingo Land) have this bad habit of copying Merlin's business strategies for the reason you mentioned above. It means that even though there are only 4 Merlin owned parks it feels like all the major Theme Parks are owned by them :(

I think mostly, 4D cinemas are outdated.

But not true in all cases. I think with an exceptional film, a high-quality theatre and innovative effects, they can still be great.

Such as The Secret of Balthasar Castle at Europa Park. That show proved to me that if done well, 4D cinemas can be great, and belong in the year 2012.

Paulton's won't create something as good as that though (pssst Paulton's... buy a copy off Mack!).

But even though EP has a half decent film, the effects are still exactly the same as every other 4D cinema on earth. I can't enjoy them any more. I just spend the whole film trying to work out when I'm going to have to move various body parts out of the way to avoid pain.

It's a shame they don't mean something like this:

amazing-adventures-of-spider-man-QLsT.jpg

This requires glasses for 3D parts, it rocks you around, sprays water at you and there's also fire as well!

;D

Paulton's Park 2013: unknown new development

Are we sure it's a cinema? Could it not be something like Hocus Pocus Hall?

As much as I enjoy Hocus Pocus Hall, I think Paulton's would be safer with a standard 4D Cinema because the general public don't mind them. It'd probably be more cost-effective for Paulton's to just have a dark room of people to focus on instead of a long, sprawling attraction that contains more theming that could potentially be broken and need replacing or fixing, etc...

Bump!

From AIRGATES :p :

New themed area set to premiere at Paultons

As part of a major renovation project, Paultons Park have announced several new additions and facilities for the 2013 season.
Mark Taylor, the General Manager of the park has announced that a new 4D cinema will feature Curse of Skull Rock, in a specially installed Simworx Effects Theatre. The interior will not be themed, as to allow other films to be shown for special events and in future years.
Externally however, the new attraction will have an art-deco frontage, not too dissimilar to the one found at Drayton Manor’s own 4D experience. Concept art for the design provided by Paultons Park can be found on the left.
The cinema itself will form part of a larger concept, Show Street (primarily named Jazz Street on the below concept art). Situated between the past Village Life and Romany Experience warehouses, the new facades will cover over the warehouses’ corregated walls.
Smaller investments for the season will include a new medical centre, stylish ticket kiosks and themed paving to replace tarmac at the park’s entrance.
As part of phase two of this development, Mark Taylor has also revealed that the entrance area will be ‘completely demolished’, to make way for new shops and themed restaurants.

Paultons-4d.png
Jazz-Street.png

The first image reminds me of Universal Studios Orlando. It looks nice! :)