• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paultons Park: General Discussion

Anyone seen their home page? A homage to Perry the owl :)

Also an interesting hastag at the bottom: #wevegotbigplans

Is this the water ride or something else?

I've just found this (a year late to the party!) But interesting thread all the same - info about planning applications... for the Edge/Cobra area 😍 it was approved last month to make this area considered part of the Theme Park as opposed to Country Park... very exciting!

If there's a specific type of attraction I'd love to see at Paultons, it'd definitely be a ghost train! Something like Wicked Witches haunt would be great! A spooky but comedic one, if you get where I'm going.

Back on topic! Would it be weird if I was more excited about Paultons development rather than Nemesis 2.0 and project Horizons?

Last edited:
If there's a specific type of attraction od love to see at Paultons, it'd definitely be a ghost train! Something like Wicked Witches haunt would be great! A spooky but comedic one, if you get where I'm going.

Back on topic! Would it be weird if I was more excited for Paultons development than Nemesis 2.0 and project Horizons?

I’d to see Paulton’s get a really highly themed trackless dark ride from ETF systems, something like Symbolica, Popcorn Revenge, or Maus Au Chocolat. The park really could use a dark ride, I wonder how much potential they have for space if they lost the 4D theatre and used the building and area for a themed land?

I've just found this (a year late to the party!) But interesting thread all the same - info about planning applications... for the Edge/Cobra area 😍 it was approved last month to make this area considered part of the Theme Park as opposed to Country Park... very exciting!
Good to see them focusing on this as the downside for all the hard work for the themed areas they've put in it does make the rest of the park look lacklustre so there will be a lot of going backwards and forward with all the areas of the park until they are all themed and then it can be considered a true theme park.

If Merlin are still up to their tricks of doing God knows what and only then realise that Chessington will have legit competition when Paulton's make that large coaster that catches the attention of the public that puts the park on the map for more than what it is now that harms Chessington's gate numbers then it's brown trousers time at Merlin HQ...then again they had it coming.

Back on topic! Would it be weird if I was more excited about Paultons development rather than Nemesis 2.0 and project Horizons?
I'm really scared of ghost trains (and the dark) so whilst I always get excited for & follow developments of new attractions from start to finish - there have been many I've never experienced (Derren Brown/Ghost Train, SAW maze or any of the scare mazes - I go through the exit to access SAW the ride itself, Walking Dead, The Curse). Very pathetic for a grown woman I know 😂 That said - something humorous would be brilliant! Also, I'm more excited for this too!

The 4D cinema has been closed for a while -it wasn't open when we went late last year and hasn't been this season either. The area outside has been lightly rejigged too. That whole building also houses the Christmas walk-through too which is pretty sizeable! It would definitely make for either an area expansion or new ride. They have the capability to do a really solid trackless for sure @Shaggy_Dog_ 😊

At least at Paultons the older/unthemed areas are still well kept unlike at the Merlin parks.
Shots fired 😳 but very true. Thorpe Park gave me more of a 'Chernobyl' than 'Chertsey' vibe last season... 😂

I'm really scared of ghost trains (and the dark) so whilst I always get excited for & follow developments of new attractions from start to finish - there have been many I've never experienced (Derren Brown/Ghost Train, SAW maze or any of the scare mazes - I go through the exit to access SAW the ride itself, Walking Dead, The Curse). Very pathetic for a grown woman I know 😂 That said - something humorous would be brilliant! Also, I'm more excited for this too!

I can understand where you're coming from. Most of the UK Ghost trains made since the late 2000s scrapped the humorous side that the classic ones had and went all in on the serious and grim tone. I wouldn't want that type of Ghost train at Paultons, like I said earlier, a ride with the same style of Wicked Witches haunt would be great! Heck, something like Shrieksville would also do great!

Here's a POV of Wicked Witches Haunt, it looked great! It was actually designed by the same people who then Built the Haunted House at Alton towers. Something like this for all ages to enjoy.

Again, a ride like shrieksville would do well I personally think for a family theme park. The POVs are too dark to pick up much, but here's a few pictures. Spooky, but not scary, and a little bit wacky, if you get where I'm coming from.
04.jpg20230225_181633.jpg08.jpg

Last edited:
Onto Paultons, i think every investment they've made ever since Tornado Springs has been fantastic and better than Merlin cold conjure (yes, even Alton Manor).

You see, this is where I find the Paultons hype-drive a little much.

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful family theme park with careful attention to detail in many areas. The park's capacity is managed correctly and queues rarely become arduous, But let's not overdo it here. Paultons have not yet shown the ability to deliver anything remotely even close to the level of a dark ride such as Alton Manor nor a special-effects laden experience such as Wicker Man.

It is excellent, Tornado Springs is a delight - but let's not oversell it here.

I'd like to see the main street behind the entrance redone at some point. It seems to be left over from a time where the park was much smaller. Also bin the teacups ride, worst one in the country, it feels ancient.

That said a decent water ride and dark ride are what's needed at the park. Had three fantastic visits here.

Totally agree with @AstroDan here.

There are major differences in the scale of AT to Paultons. AT is a piss poor top tier park that should be blowing them out the water and not even get compared.

The issue is investment and greed. Paultons are doing things right, Merlin haven't been.

I'm not saying Paultons can't be proud of what they have, or that it isn't great, but they haven't tried anything particularly daring.

Must agree, if we're comparing to the garbage the Merlin parks were churning out a few years ago (Rainforest, David Walliams outside etc.) then Paultons wins hands down but certainly nothing special like Alton Manor (yet). One thing the park does have going for it is the longer operating season, they open pretty much the whole park Feb Half Term and Christmas with a half lineup on November weekends.

Hard to compare things to Alton Manor considering most of the infrastructure used for that was already existing.

Paultons is pretty much doing what a number of those smaller independent parks on the continent have been doing. And sadly shows the rather stale environment in the UK that a park doing slightly more than average additions is a massive thing.

Their next steps will be far more telling if they're going to make it or break it. Tornado Springs as a blueprint though would be a positive sign of things to come.

You see, this is where I find the Paultons hype-drive a little much.

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful family theme park with careful attention to detail in many areas. The park's capacity is managed correctly and queues rarely become arduous, But let's not overdo it here. Paultons have not yet shown the ability to deliver anything remotely even close to the level of a dark ride such as Alton Manor nor a special-effects laden experience such as Wicker Man.

It is excellent, Tornado Springs is a delight - but let's not oversell it here.
People just want, after some of the utter gash Merlin, and to some extent even BPB, have put out with poor investment of the choices of rides, themes, IP's and getting everything wrong, people are wanting something not only truly good looking but that is well cared for and Paulton's is the closest park we have in this country to having that sort of park. So is the hype a little bit much like how I feel about EP that some have for it? Perhaps, but then again after how much enthusiasts have felt with Merlin for so long and wanting an alternative in this country that means not having to go to the continent, can you blame them for pinning their hopes on Paulton's?

Had Merlin not been doing such things we've called them out on for the past several years now then I don't think Paulton's would have gotten the love-in it is getting now, even if it is deserved and let's hope for the best for them.
I'd like to see the main street behind the entrance redone at some point. It seems to be left over from a time where the park was much smaller. Also bin the teacups ride, worst one in the country, it feels ancient.

That said a decent water ride and dark ride are what's needed at the park. Had three fantastic visits here.
I think I mentioned this above in which as the more better themed areas the park does create, it does leave some of the more unthemed areas look poor in comparison so it does mean the park will be going backwards and forwards to get all the areas looking good and yes, you're right about a decent water and dark ride for the park for if they were to get them and turned out to be successful for the park then Paulton's are laughing to the bank.

The level of quality Paultons has pulled out in the last 7 years at least has been largely impressive.

Whilst still a way from what the main top tier parks have done, the likes of Lost Kingdom and Tornado Springs are excellent areas, especially for such a park and have massively helped to enhance the park’s offering and capacity. It’s also a clean park with a nicer car park than Chessington and Thorpe.

I’d say next to every investment Paultons have done has been a worthy addition to the park, whereas the Merlin park ones are very hit and miss with some better than others.

Paultons next move would be to broaden the lineup further whilst re-iterating some of the dated/less-themed areas of the park which are starting to stand out increasingly. Like the areas near cobra and between Critter creek and Springs.

Really excited by this. We visited Paultons for the first time last year and it was incredible. So much love and care goes into that place. We’ll be back again this year making the 4 hour trip…Merlin membership on the other hand - cancelled - mainly on the back of AT being so lacklustre in terms of experience. A day at AT feels like really hard work with a family - Paultons was well chilled out.

For you fans who also love a freebie - they've announced 12 Days of giveaways to celebrate their 40th Anniversary as well as teasing 'exciting things to come' to go with their website teaser '#wevegotbigplans' - I'm wondering if they'll announce anything about the future of the park during the celebrations, even if it's just about the new ride 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517-124921_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517-124921_Facebook.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 39
Sorry but going off the photos of witches haunt
Theres boris the spider (pic1)
Fester and lurch in there later days (pic2)
And achmed ......
What a line up!!! Sounds like a good time in looney ville