• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Pet Project - themepark.org.uk

Rick

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Crux
As I've mentioned in a couple of threads and to others privately, I have been working on an online UK park industry museum of sorts for a long while.

Being off work this week with only the dog to distract me, it's finally (pretty much) finished. Just need to fill it with content...

I've got several cardboard boxes, external hard drives and boxes of photos/postcards ram jammed with stuff from parks past and present, so would like to share at least some of it.

I've also done a lot of research during the inordinate hours I spend on trains producing several staple features including a 'This Day In History' feature that gives you today's events throughout the years - some dating back to the 1700s. Today's, for example:

7gM0wdf.jpg

Check it out - https://www.themepark.org.uk

Thanks to everyone who has helped or been encouraging of the concept thus far. Hit me up if you have any thoughts or ideas, or feel you could contribute in some way.

Rick, this looks like a really good concept! I love the hall of fame element and the 'on this day...' news. I sincerely hope that this does not get lost in deep sea of theme park enthusiast pages and websites of drivel that gets churned out by each new person that gets the theme park bug. I've added it to my favourites and will check in occasionally to see how it's progressing. I'm sure it will go from strength to strength, really.

The site looks really clean and well set out too. NIce work :)

OK, this is off topic, but the thought occurs: could Skytrack be one of the rarest UK creds? I can't imagine many of the typical "I wanna see Corry street" GST guests ever wanting to ride it.

Just so you know diogo, I bust a gut to ride it, repeatedly, phone calls to check every few weeks, turned up three times on the (conditional!) promise of a ride...and failed miserably.
Saw it going, once, with a massive queue, that just did not move.
Throughput rumoured to be 20 per hour.
Closed within minutes.

I enjoyed Tuesday trivia, did crap though 4/10. some tricky questions.

The first sentence in the Valhalla hall of fame post has a mistake. Seems to be missing the words "There is a sign" at the beginning of the article.

Thanks for the effort you obviously put into this, it's excellent.

Thanks for that @Lurker, a few of those Hall of Fame articles need rewriting. Fixed that one.

The Trivia Tuesday for next week is Lightwater Valley, could be even more niche!

I haven't received a reply from my suggestions for the website that I put in four days ago, have you received my suggestions?

Reckon I am about done for this year, so thought I'd share some handy links to what's on there. It's been a bit of a slog, but it's been interesting for me to go through boxes and boxes of stuff, family photos and the like. Got some interesting feedback from people in parks but also from park goers and former staffers at closed parks.

If you find this interesting and would like to keep following along, I'd certainly appreciate it if you liked the Facebook page.

Updated lists in post #21 and #22

Last edited:
Really enjoying the site, I can tell it's been a labour of love for you.

I'm enjoying the curated selection of videos, particularly this one which apparently shows track for a Vekoma Boomerang still being bolted together just a couple of days before the ride opened to the public. I'd love to know more about this era for WMSP; clearly it didn't work out.

It's a fabulous site; I frequently look on there for new content! Three cheers for @Rick and the hard work he's put into it!