• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand: General Discussion

17159300_1379447998761027_2556038233971438466_o.jpg

Another post from Phantasialand with the caption 'now, what's happening here?'

Are they giving Rutmors Tavern's outdoor seating a roof?

Certainly looks that way! Considering the size of the Tavern, I was surprised there was no roof, so great to see if this is happening!

Potentially, depending on how a death cred is defined.

And why am I not surprised that that was your reaction, Diogo? :p

CoasterCrazy are reporting that a maintenance worker has been killed after being struck by the elevator car at the start of Winjas (not clear whether it happened on Fear or Force).
How does this keep happening o_O I get that people go and retrieve hats etc, but maintenance workers and ride ops have a very simple and effective system to prevent this from happening. If you tag out or lock out, this should be impossible.

The Smiler crash was "impossible" too. The weak link in any safety system is human beings.
No, I mean physically impossible - as in somebody can't (not shouldn't) operate the panel if someone is out on the track. Smiler should have been impossible if they had followed the process / had a reasonable process in play. But I know what you mean.

I agree, I can only assume someone didn't go through the proper lock out procedure. Or maybe the worker was a builder / painter and not trained in coaster safety because it was assumed he would not need to enter a ride area, and he did so unauthorised?

https://www.change.org/p/phantasial...ood-tour-627eef26-5196-422e-a97d-96ac0cce6b85

Well some individual was so concerned by the talk that Temple of the Nighthawk and Hollywood Tour may soon be removed that they have created a petition to Phantasialand's owner asking for rides to be kept and receive the 'River Quest treatment' or some Phantasialand Loving Care (however you want to term it).

Somehow I doubt a petition signed by 149 people will force them to change their mind...

To be honest I have no concern over Hollywood and Nighthawk being removed at the park. Both attractions are dated, past their best and stick out like a sore thumb. I'd be surprised if both still exist in a few years time in all honesty.

Personally I'm more concerned about Geister Riksha's removal (likely next), but I don't feel the desperation the make a petition to save it.

There's a lot of things about PL that I love and will fight to the bitter end to support...

But preserving TotNH and Hollywood Tour is not one of them.

How Nighthawk has such a cult following is totally beyond me!

Hollywood feels dated, it can't really feel anything else. Temple of the Nighthawk isn't especially dated - there's not much of it to date. If you built a roller coaster that whizzes around in the pitch black tomorrow, the ride experience wouldn't be at all different.

The conversion from Space Center to Temple is one of the laziest 'transformations' ever, however.

My guess would be that alot of the people wanting these rides to stay have grown up with these older attractions and have already seen the removal of a lot of their old favourites with these being some of the last ones left of an older time of the park.

In some of our eyes they are run down, has been attractions waiting to be scrapped, but for them they must carry alot of sentimental value and nostalgia even though we cannot see it as we see Phantasia's recent work and marvel at it and sing the praises of the park if/ when they announce their removal and replacement as it would be sure to be to the new high standard of the park. I couldn't think of a great UK example, maybe something like Vampire being removed would cause similar reaction but even then I think most would admit its had its day, although unlike these rides being removed I doubt whatever would replace it would even be a par to it.

My guess would be that alot of the people wanting these rides to stay have grown up with these older attractions and have already seen the removal of a lot of their old favourites with these being some of the last ones left of an older time of the park.

I grew up with Phantasialand and rides such as the old flumes, Silbermine, 1001 Nachts, Phantasialand Jet etc. Heck I'm such a nostalgia freak for the park my profile pic is me at 4 years old under the track of PHL-jet with Stonewash Creek and Silbermine in the background. And yeah I'm very sad the old rides are gone they were a great part of my childhood. But I do also love their replacements and accept that they had to go. Hollywood Tour and Geister Riksha have a lot of sentimental value for me so I will find it sad to see them go - Hollywood Tour more so than Geister though. However I know its coming and accept it because it will be replaced by something great (hopefully!) and, in the case of Hollywood Tour, will actually thematically fit in. It's all in the name of progress - although considering the park's 50 year history and the fact they keep a lot of the old stuff in store I'd love a park museum with items from the old rides. Apparently one of the train cars from Silbermine is still about somewhere behind the scenes in the park!

Temple of the Nighthawk though is a ride I don't hate but I don't love it - its meh - so no tears shed from me when it goes!! I really don't understand its cult following either.

* But if Phantasialand ever touch Colorado Adventure which is my childhood favourite, Herr Loffelhardt will be hearing from me!!!!!!:mad:

But if Phantasialand ever touch Colorado Adventure which is my childhood favourite, Herr Loffelhardt will be hearing from me!!!!!!:mad:

I heard a rumour they will be replacing it with a Zamperla powered mine train a part of the overhaul, amidst growing concerns over noise levels... ;)

I found this video of the park on YouTube, which was made in 1991.

It's amazing really how much has changed in the park over the last 25 years, from additions of Klugheim, Chiapas and Deep Africa to the renovations of Berlin Street and removal of such attractions as the old flumes and Silver Mine Dark Ride.

Nighthawk, Hollywood and Geister, really are amongst the few remaining parts of Old Phantasialand left now.

I still think Nighthawk is a good ride. It's a classic laugh in the dark coaster with a nice lengthy ride time. In theory it could be updated with a few special effects and you'd have something on par with any other dark-coaster.

However I see no need to save it if Phantasialand have a better use for the land.