• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planet Coaster, RCT & NoLimits Quick Questions

Question...

Struggling to find out what works better; high park entry/free rides or vice versa.

On the older games I'd charge extortionate amounts for coasters and the cash would roll in but it seems a bit more tricky on Planet Coaster.

What's the best strategy?

Question...

Struggling to find out what works better; high park entry/free rides or vice versa.

On the older games I'd charge extortionate amounts for coasters and the cash would roll in but it seems a bit more tricky on Planet Coaster.

It's been a while since I've played outside of sandbox but I think the same applies as RCT3. From memory once you have 5 or 6 rides the rides start bringing in a lot of money. Park entrance is still limited by people not going home.

Question...

I’ve never really experimented with the economical side of the game, but I’d agree with @Tim; pay-per-ride would probably be more profitable because some guests stay for a pretty long time, and your FPS would also probably suffer whilst trying to get an amount of guests that would make pay-one-price profitable.

When building rides on Planet Coaster, is there any way to fix them to a grid like you can with buildings, paths and shops?

Is there any way to place multiple scenery items at once? Getting tedious placing individual trees across a large area, especially on controller.

This is a question about copyright and YouTube. You may have seen what I have built so far on Planet Coaster and I am now worried that I may be breaching copyright. Do I need to negotiate a license or something, what do you usually do?
Also, I have come up with an idea for the boat ride that involves a copyrighted piece of music, should I try negotiating a license for this music or should I try coming up with another idea.

This is a question about copyright and YouTube. You may have seen what I have built so far on Planet Coaster and I am now worried that I may be breaching copyright. Do I need to negotiate a license or something, what do you usually do?
Also, I have come up with an idea for the boat ride that involves a copyrighted piece of music, should I try negotiating a license for this music or should I try coming up with another idea.
Anything made in Planet Coaster with Planet Coaster assets is fine. Some game developers (Nintendo...) have set restrictions but Frontiers marketing relys on people sharing content.
I think TMTK items are also covered by the Steam Workshop rules, although some creators will get upset if you don't give credit.
However if you import media you will need permission, music especially as YouTube will flag even a few notes in a heart beat. Best case the video will become demonatised (not a problem if you arn't monetising it). Worst case you get a strike on your channel. 3 strikes and it's shut down.
You can try and negotiate something but if it's a big name artist they probably won't even respond.

I have a question for you all, and it’s regarding PCs to play the game on. Now I should clarify that I do currently have a laptop that I play the game on, and I wouldn’t personally say it’s a low-specced one; I bought it back in 2017, and the specs are as follows:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz (3.8GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB VRAM.
  • RAM: 16GB
Now as I said, this is not a low-spec computer by any means; I paid a substantial amount of money for it back in 2017. However, when running large parks, the FPS are... not amazing. I’m currently in the process of building a new country for my Worlds of Globala park (I shouldn’t be finished in too long, so keep your eyes peeled to that thread if you’re liking the park!), and while the FPS are perfectly adequate (about 6-8FPS when in play mode and about 10FPS or just over when paused), my GPU drivers have crashed a couple of times trying to run it, implying that the computer is really suffering, and my FPS drop substantially to 5FPS or below whenever I record my work for you guys. And I should note that this is with no guests even in the park. If you’ve ever seen any of the videos I’ve recorded in Planet Coaster, especially some of the more recent ones, you get the basic idea.

So in the mid to long term, I am pondering purchasing a new PC to play the game on. This time, I’m thinking about going for a desktop, because they can be upgraded more easily than laptops if need be, and they often provide more performance for your money. So my question is; do you think it would be worth me buying a new desktop PC, and if the answer is yes, are there any particular tips you could give me? This is not going to be an imminent thing by any means; it’ll likely be at least July/August before I end up buying one, and I should hopefully have a pretty substantial budget by then (possibly somewhere in the region of £1500-2000).

I was more thinking that it might be a good idea if I ever want to attempt something more ambitious in terms of scale or detail than Worlds of Globala, as I feel like my current system might run into difficulties, and Planet Coaster 2 is also possibly rumoured to be coming within the next couple of years, so it might be a good idea to upgrade my system in preparation for that.

Last edited:
I have a question for you all, and it’s regarding PCs to play the game on. Now I should clarify that I do currently have a laptop that I play the game on, and I wouldn’t personally say it’s a low-specced one; I bought it back in 2017, and the specs are as follows:
Now as I said, this is not a low-spec computer by any means; I paid a substantial amount of money for it back in 2017. However, when running large parks, the FPS are... not amazing. I’m currently in the process of building a new country for my Worlds of Globala park (I shouldn’t be finished in too long, so keep your eyes peeled to that thread if you’re liking the park!), and while the FPS are perfectly adequate (about 6-8FPS when in play mode and about 10FPS or just over when paused), my GPU drivers have crashed a couple of times trying to run it, implying that the computer is really suffering, and my FPS drop substantially to 5FPS or below whenever I record my work for you guys. And I should note that this is with no guests even in the park. If you’ve ever seen any of the videos I’ve recorded in Planet Coaster, especially some of the more recent ones, you get the basic idea.

So in the mid to long term, I am pondering purchasing a new PC to play the game on. This time, I’m thinking about going for a desktop, because they can be upgraded more easily than laptops if need be, and they often provide more performance for your money. So my question is; do you think it would be worth me buying a new desktop PC, and if the answer is yes, are there any particular tips you could give me? This is not going to be an imminent thing by any means; it’ll likely be at least July/August before I end up buying one, and I should hopefully have a pretty substantial budget by then (possibly somewhere in the region of £1500-2000).

I was more thinking that it might be a good idea if I ever want to attempt something more ambitious in terms of scale or detail than Worlds of Globala, as I feel like my current system might run into difficulties, and Planet Coaster 2 is also possibly rumoured to be coming within the next couple of years, so it might be a good idea to upgrade my system in preparation for that.
Those specs are way higher than what I'm using and I have virtually no lag. Hmm... I'm going to do some research.

Those specs are way higher than what I'm using and I have virtually no lag. Hmm... I'm going to do some research.
Is this within large, heavily-detailed parks, or just in general? Because the PC I’m currently on is absolutely fine if I’m in a smaller park; it’s mainly larger stuff that’s the problem.

That's the problem with PlanCo. The more scenery and guest in your park, the longer it takes to load and more it lags.

The system is not bad. I would not exactly call it high end. The GPU is a low end dedicated GPU. But the CPU is mid range. You have to remeber the world of computers moves fast.

The processor is not bad the problem lies in the fact it is a 4 core 8 thread CPU. Games and software are very very quickly moving away from using 4 cores to 6 or 8, with the same amount of virtual cores into.

As for the GPU. The 1050ti was a low end, but fast low end card released in 2016. This is probably the main hold back in planet coaster. 4GB of VRAM combined with the "relatively" slow 1050ti chip is just not enough. I use close to 7GB of VRAM most of the time in Planco even with medium sized parks.

Just because you paid alot of money doesnt automatically make it high end. Like I said the GPU you have has always been low end in the 10 series range. It's pretty much the lowest power card you can buy in that range. For the price though it performs ok.

I’m at the point now where I’ve moved away from local-based gaming for resource-intensive things like PlanCo and instead use GeForce Now to stream them. As above, things move fast, and I’m past the point of forking out hundreds of pounds every few years for a new graphics card (plus I much prefer the comfort factor of playing on my laptop, rather than sat at my iMac).

It’s interesting to note though that even running on Now the game can sometimes chug a bit on larger parks and more detailed files. It still maintains a much higher framerate than I’d get playing locally, but if you suddenly zoom out it can sometimes stutter a bit. It’s great being able to play the game in high quality on my now 10 year old MacBook and not worry about hardware.

Out of interest, has anyone here used GeForce Now to play Planet Coaster?

I have a laptop that’s perfectly capable of running Planet Coaster, but due to the fact that the FPS seem to drop considerably whenever I record in this one park (Worlds of Globala), I was thinking of using GeForce Now’s free version to record in this particular park, so that I can provide you guys with video content that reaches a more satisfactory level of FPS than my previous videos.

So I was only wondering;
  • If I log in with my Steam account, will it sync my parks over from my computer to the virtual machine that GeForce Now uses?
  • Will things I do within GeForce Now be accessible from my own PC if I save them?
  • If I record in GeForce Now, am I able to save the recording to my own PC?
I would greatly appreciate any advice, if any of you use GeForce Now for your Planet Coastering!

Yep unless I’m at my desk, where I’ll use my iMac I play PlanCo on my now 9 year old MacBook Pro via GeForce Now. It works brilliant. The only things I would advise are making sure your internet connection is up to the job. I’d suspect you’d want around 20-30mbps coming through at a consistent rate to make sure it’s not stuttering. It may also be worth considering using an Ethernet cable to the router, as it’s quite hard on the WiFi and may fluctuate a little.

Brilliant service though. Can’t fault the system itself.

I will second what Ian says, the service is brilliant. When using the free version though you can be waiting a bit of time in queue for a machine to come available. But it works just the same.

Parks all sync across because they are all saved in Steam Cloud, so will sync back and forth between Geforce now and your PC flawlessly.

The best thing though is the fact you have access to a very high end PC. So you can crank the graphics very high. You will still eventually get lag though but it is not as bad as a home pc and will not set in until much later, that is just a limitation of the way the game is programmed with CPU's. Give it a try, it's free, see what you think :)

Thanks, all!

The only thing that did spook me slightly about GeForce Now was that when I went on it the other day to try and test it out, it said that “the Steam cloud was unable to sync your data. If you play now, you may lose your data” or something along those lines. Is this just an idle warning that probably won’t happen, or is it a risk I genuinely take if I use GeForce Now? I’m only twitchy because I’ve been working on some of my parks for over a year, and I’m not really sure I want to lose over a year of work…

Maybe I should try it on one of my past parks, that are stored privately in the Steam Workshop, first… even if it goes wrong, I can still fetch them back.