• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planning applications for new Scarefest maze locations

I can’t remember if the purpose was detailed in the application. Does it says it’s for back of house work?

With the entrance exit comment it would make a good structure for a scarefest maze every year. Could easily make the Gloomy Wood toilets one entrance only and turn the path that goes from the back of the toilets to the FV path a queue.
from the design proposal
"4.3 Layout
The new layout has been influenced by a need to provide a permanent structure which can
be removed should the need arise without damage to the surrounding landscape,
providing a Theme Park facility building."

It connects to the path next to the toilets, so I'm thinking Scarefest maze.

It's a good spot to place such a building. If they don't want to use it as a Scarefest attraction in future seasons, it could simply be used as a storage building, and you wouldn't even notice since it's in a hidden spot.

If this is intended for this season... Phalanax or Nemesis themed maze incoming?

If it is a Scarefest attraction, no idea why they'd list it as a facilities building if so but, could it be a permanent home for the tech required for Daz Games or something of the same ilk, freeing up the hospitality suite again?

Could easily keep the technology and escape room style and have it Emily Alton themed. After all, she just wants to play.

Wouldn't a staff facility also have an entrance/exit?

And the path to this building, hidden behind an F&B unit? It screams back of house to me I'm afraid

So the curly path leading from the toilets is the entrance/exit path?
That's the one, the current toilet access path from outside Gloomy Wood on the path towards Forbidden Valley. Presumably they'd close access to the toilets from that side if this gets built, or maybe just split that path down the middle, keeping access to the toilets on the left and this new building on the right.

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-13_142417_www.google.com.png
(Ancient Google Maps image, couldn't find a more recent one)

Last edited:
It's always been a bit of an Alton Towers thing, walkthrough bogs. I think the majority of them have two entrances.

No idea why, and I've for sure lost half of my party for a few mins because of it!

I always wondered why those loos have the rear exit. Was there once a reason for it?
I think particularly at that location it means you cover a larger area of the park with fewer toilet blocks. But all of them at AT are the same design.
Fountain Square (behind woodcutters) - can enter from near Skyride or from near Woodcutters.
X Sector - this one doesn't make as much difference as second entrance is right round the back.
Mutiny Bay - one entrance is inside the courtyard, one in the main area
Gloomy Wood - enter from by Haunted House or the path to FV.

I’m going to say I don’t think it’s scare fest as it says the entire building would be accessible for disabled users and I’m yet to see a scare maze a wheelchair user could navigate