• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Planning applications for new Scarefest maze locations

There you go, it's for an attraction and I think we can therefore assume it is for Scarefest:
1710454396630.png

There's always one. This time it's the ecological appraisal. 🔍
I think scarefest attraction is a safe assumption. Seems like they're trying to move to some more permanent options for it, what with the Dungeons being used as well.

The Dungeons, the Towers and now this equals a lot of indoor space potentially dedicated to Scarefest. Could be that we get three lengthy mazes this October (which would be great).

Alternatively, Bianca has highlighted her passion for the park's heritage on various occasions. Combined with complaints about the ruins constantly being shut, I do wonder if its possible that 'Scarefest investment' in these new areas is happening to keep mazes out of the Towers so that they're accessible for the entire duration of the season.

Judging by what folk are saying. I would agree that it will be used for storage/scaremaze. The location is too, shall I say wild to be anything else. Would they use it for a permanent walkthrough thing, so close the the haunted house? Especially in that location. Which, looking at Google maps. Looks to be the grave yard of rides passed.

My other feeling is, if it was permanent ride structure it would be bigger. I've been wrong before and will be again.

Can you imagine if the cancellation of Mardi Gras and other events is so we can get a massive Scarefest expansion? 7/8 houses, scare zones, IPs - a real U.K. version of Halloween Horror Nights spread around the whole park

I can defintiely see the Daz Games tech being reused for an Emily themed scare attraction here

The Dungeons, the Towers and now this equals a lot of indoor space potentially dedicated to Scarefest. Could be that we get three lengthy mazes this October (which would be great).

Alternatively, Bianca has highlighted her passion for the park's heritage on various occasions. Combined with complaints about the ruins constantly being shut, I do wonder if its possible that 'Scarefest investment' in these new areas is happening to keep mazes out of the Towers so that they're accessible for the entire duration of the season.

I don’t think they will completely stop using the ruins for scarefest but it will probably go back to being just one maze in there.

If the goal is to open up the ruins for longer, they can either ditch ToTT completely and keep the Altonville location for a scaremaze, or maybe they've determined that having one or two permanent buildings like this one would give them more time to focus on getting ToTT ready and they can go back to the days of closing the ruins later in the year.

Same thing is going to be Near Dark Forest too. Address says Woodcutters Bar & Grill.

That sounds like a description of the backstage area that contains Darkest Depths.

Removal of the existing 9 no. containers plus temporary maintenance tent scaremaze attraction to provide a facilities building that consists of 6 no. containers (3 per side lengthways) and tensile domed roof between.

Last edited:
I've amended the topic title as it now appears highly likely these planning applications are for new Scarefest maze locations :)

Any chance any of these new buildings will take Scarefest mazes out of the ruins making it more likely for public to be able to wander around them again? Or are they just more permanent buildings for existing mazes? Or is it very unclear at the moment?

Any chance any of these new buildings will take Scarefest mazes out of the ruins making it more likely for public to be able to wander around them again? Or are they just more permanent buildings for existing mazes? Or is it very unclear at the moment?

This second application in terms of location is a replacement for the existing Darkest Depths maze, however the other location, near the monorail would be new and could mean one maze currently in the Towers could move out - leaving potentially just one.

Of course they could have other plans to either remove the final Towers based maze or even add more back in to the Towers, it’s probably a bit soon to tell which way it will go really.

Personally I hope it is the start of a move out of the Towers so they can be tidied up to allow guests in again. It certainly seems to be what the planners want after that ill fated attempt at an application for more permanent Towers based mazes a few years back

It does make you wonder.

That 2020 application to make the Scaremazes in the Towers semi-permanent is still open, which suggests it ran into some significant issues. And let's be frank, that application did have significant issues.

It is clear that the Dark Forest structure will be to replace Darkest Depths, but it will be interesting to see what happens with the Gloomy Lane one. You could see easily it being used for a replacement for The Attic, but equally it could be for a completely new maze to replace The Invitation - from a Scarefest POV, either of these options seems like a positive move.

From a heritage POV, getting The Attic out of The Towers would be a hugely positive step, between The Attic, The Sanctuary and Sub Species before, it must be about half the accessible part of the ruins that have closed since 2014, including several prominent heritage assets.

Don't understand why they're chucking money at Scarefest whilst the rest of the park is crumbling like a rich tea biscuit that's been dunked twice in tea.... Guess it keeps the people who like to pay extra for being yelled at in the face I suppose

Don't understand why they're chucking money at Scarefest whilst the rest of the park is crumbling like a rich tea biscuit that's been dunked twice in tea.... Guess it keeps the people who like to pay extra for being yelled at in the face I suppose

Slight over exaggeration, but regardless it’s different budgets. Organisations like Merlin don’t just give the parks x amount of money and say do want you want, it’s split into different budgets.

Plus money is being spent on maintenance but we come back to the old tune of 15 years of neglect.