• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

I was surprised to see how advanced constrction of this was the other week, it is also bigger than I expexted. Hopefully it might have a bar that opens and a restaurant that serves hot food, but I know that is asking a lot.

Did anyone take any photos of it?

I don't believe anyone took any photos, but the exterior of the building appears to be complete minus signage on the entrance.

I spoke to some colleagues about food in Spain today. Nobody was particularly positive about it - So it's presumably just the way it is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think it's fair to write-off food in Spain based on Portaventura! Culinary and hospitality culture in Spain can be among some of the best in Europe. Food at the park hasn't always been as bad as it is these days. Nor have the operations, although they've always been a bit sluggish.

Similar to Merlin in the UK, I think market dominance is at least partially to blame for the slack elements that spoil what was once an outstanding park. It was a favourite of mine a decade ago, but it hasn't at all kept up with Europa Park, Phantasialand or Efteling.

Also, Baco is indeed, absolutely dreadful.

Agree with that @Plastic Person. Some of the best food I’ve eaten has been in Spain. I mean, when it’s bad, it can be very bad. But PortAventura probably isn’t a very good representation of Spanish cuisine as food there will all aimed at the typical tourist clientele that make up the majority of their visitors.

I should clarify, I have also eaten quite poorly in Madrid and Barcelona. One of the main issues for me, like food in Greece, is that it's often just not served that hot.

I would never say 'all food is bad in Spain' - but it just seems more likely, based on my experiences over the years.

:)

Poor food in Spain is something I know many people have encountered outside of PA. It’s not that they don’t like Spanish food (I have friends and family who love tapas and paella), its just not often cooked well in Spain, or Spanish tourist destinations at least, from what I’ve heard.

Next time I go to PA I think I’m just gonna get quick service food rather than sit down meals with a knife and fork.

Hotel PortAventura Renovation Update
As I posted a while back, for the last year Hotel PortAventura has been undergoing a major renovation which has up to now included a full redesign of the Front Facade, Reception, the Lobby, Cafe Saula, and Buffet del Mar.

For 2019 Hotel PortAventura sees a new a'la'carte restuarant added to the line-up 'Pica Pica' as well as a full refurbishment of Restuarant Port Regata, Bar Port Regata (now with indoor area), El Xiringuito and Buffet Del Port.

Throughout 2019 all 500 guest rooms will also undergo a full renovation including all bathrooms and corridors, of which the concepts were released today. The refurbishment will involve the removal of the 'Woody & Friends' Suites, which will be replaced with Junior Suites. (Concepts haven't been released for these yet).

Standard Rooms
hotel-portaventura-standard-1200x600-en.jpg

New Standard Room at Hotel PortAventura

EN_0000__0000s_0001_NEW-FOR-2019.png

New Standard Room at Hotel PortAventura

Refurbished Restaurant Buffet Del Port
EN_0007__0000s_0001_NEW-FOR-2019.png

hotel-portaventura-restaurante-1200x600-en.jpg

Refurbished Buffet Del Port at Hotel PortAventura

Refurbished Restaurant & Bar Port Regata
EN_0002__0000s_0001_NEW-FOR-2019.png

New Indoor Bar and Refurbished A'la'carte Restaurant Port Regata

New A'la'Carte Restaurant Pica Pica
EN_0005__0000s_0001_NEW-FOR-2019.png

Refurbished Pool Bar 'El Xiringguito'
Xiringuito-IV-810x510.jpg

Xiringuito-III-810x510.jpg

Xiringuito-I-810x510.jpg

Last edited:
Those rooms look lovely and I have no doubts that they will be!

Now maybe they could also invest in an indoor bar..? ;)

*pops up again*

In addition to the Hotel PortAventura renovations it has also just been announced that Hotel El Paso is also undergoing renovations for the 2019 season, this will include the refurbishment of all 501 guest rooms and new 'Woody & Friends' Deluxe Rooms which were previously found at Hotel PortAventura. This is brilliant news for the resort bringing this years 'New for 2019' line-up to currently include:

- New Sesame Street Dark Ride in SesamoAventura (PortAventura Park)
- New 4* Deluxe Hotel Colorado Creek
- Hotel PortAventura major renovations and new restaurants
- Hotel El Paso major renovations

Hotel El Paso Refurbishment - Announced for 2019
New Standard Rooms at Hotel El Paso
hotel-el-paso-standard-1200x600-en.jpg

el-paso-room_-810x510.jpg

It’s all very well completing these capital investments but the money is perhaps better spent on staff numbers and training, as there are certain aspects of the current resort hotels which are shambolic. Even if you have a nice room, waiting for an hour to check in is likely to spoil your stay.

I hope this signals a shift in how the resort hotels are run, as their construction and position are generally very good. If they were operated to the same level, PA would be higher on my list of resorts to visit. As it stands, Mansion Lucy and the Callaghan’s are the only options for decent service.

In fact the service at Mansion Lucy is exemplary, so PA can deliver it when they want.