• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

do you think we could potentially see other tourist attractions come to Bedford and nearby lands? like how Orlando has Fun Spot and Ripley's etc.

Imagine Bedford having an international drive type area lol
There’s definitely going to be a few hotels popping up

Just out of curiosity again and looking at the plans, has anyone actually worked out how much of the theme park is allocated as in space and what it’s comparable to as in size?

I reckon a 2025 construction start is slightly optimistic myself. Bear in mind that even after Universal gives the project the green light, they still need to submit a full planning application to the government and have their proposal go through appropriate scrutiny.

I know that that project had a litany of other issues, but bear in mind that the team behind the ill-fated London Resort project were forecasting that it would take 18 months from the submission of their full planning application to get approval of the planning application by the government, and that even had the gold-plated NSIP status to fastrack it through the planning process. I’m unsure if Universal have been granted NSIP status, even if the proposal is being viewed by the UK government rather than Bedford Borough Council.

If Universal’s proposal was to take a similar 18 months to gain planning approval, we’d be looking at early to mid 2026 for a planning approval if they submitted a full planning application towards the end of 2024.

Given that Universal wouldn’t be starting construction straight away (they’d need to hire construction workers, order supplies, and do all that good logistical stuff after the planning approval), I reckon we’d be looking at more like late 2026 or possibly even 2027 for a construction start and an opening somewhere in the ballpark of the early 2030s.

And that’s if everything goes wonderfully to plan; as we’ve seen with the London Resort’s planning application and numerous other large infrastructure projects in the UK (such as HS2), it only takes a few heavily dissatisfied people to throw a massive spanner in the works. We could see currently hidden opponents emerging from the woodwork when it comes to the scrutiny and seriousness of an official planning application.

To be fair one thing that Universal GB has over the London Resort is that it’s being developed and run by people with a genuine intention to actually build it so it does have an advantage in that sense.

Just out of curiosity again and looking at the plans, has anyone actually worked out how much of the theme park is allocated as in space and what it’s comparable to as in size?

110acres seems to be the current sweetspot for size estimations which falls in-line with the size of all the major Theme Parks, IOA specifically is 110 acres.

I'm ready to spend serious money in a Universal hotel stay but if we only get one hotel to start it may be difficult getting a room especially in opening season. They will need more chain hotels in the area to pick up the slack

I'm ready to spend serious money in a Universal hotel stay but if we only get one hotel to start it may be difficult getting a room especially in opening season. They will need more chain hotels in the area to pick up the slack

I’m sure that Premier Inn and Travelodge are extremely interested in this, they are probably salivating as the prospect of opening quite a few new hotels in the local area. They’ll already be considering potential sites for sure.

Also worth noting that there's an abundance of hotel rooms in Milton Keynes, built to accommodate those attending events at Silverstone and the National Bowl.

This is why I think the Marston Vale Line (from Bletchley in Milton Keynes through Stewartby and Kempston Hardwick at Universal's site and into Bedford) is going to be just as pivotal to the project's objectives around public transport as the Midland Main Line.

I also read a post here floating the idea that there could be a waterway built (or restored?) between Milton Keynes and the site. Unsure how affordable or feasible that would be, but sounds fun!

I suspect an announcement on whether this gets the green light before the end of the year.

Construction to start 2025 in my opinion.
Practically impossible. We're now well into the 24-25 financial year, and even though it's moved at quite a breakneck pace so far by British standards, it's only still in the public consultation stage. All this in a general election year. Even if everything goes to plan, which with a pending change of government it likely won't, this would be absolutely unprecedented.

Practically impossible. We're now well into the 24-25 financial year, and even though it's moved at quite a breakneck pace so far by British standards, it's only still in the public consultation stage. All this in a general election year. Even if everything goes to plan, which with a pending change of government it likely won't, this would be absolutely unprecedented.

Internally at Universal I expect they greenlight it or not this year. The actual greenlight via planning permission etc etc is a whole different thing but I definitely think Universal will decide this year and then the rest will roll-out from 2025 and beyond.

Internally at Universal I expect they greenlight it or not this year. The actual greenlight via planning permission etc etc is a whole different thing but I definitely think Universal will decide this year and then the rest will roll-out from 2025 and beyond.
I'm inclined to agree with you owing to the pace of the whole thing so far. But I don't think a project of this scale is ever completely green lit, even after construction has begun, in a country like the UK.

On the surface of it, investing here is absolutely insane as the UK is a really unattractive market place to build something like this. But there's clearly been a lot of planning and research, hence the pace and why they seem to be locked and loaded. Like an opportunity that seems too good to pass up and striking whilst the iron is hot is a necessity.

But even at this pace, with a seemingly smooth consultation in it's early stages, and a professional organisation employing the services of the best legal teams money can buy, there's a hell of a lot of overestimation in this thread about how far along this project is. I fully expect that Comcast will want to move fast with this and have a robust business plan for doing so. But it's not like they just have to ask a few locals if they're cool and the secretary of state is waiting at a desk in Whitehall with a rubber stamp.

There's no guarantee that there aren't plenty of unforeseen hurdles ahead, and that the iron suddenly becomes cold very quickly.

Even if planning isn’t granted and spades in the ground they will probably be already courting the big building consortiums or at the very least preparing tender documents. They get booked up _years_ in advance for things like the road and rail upgrades

I’m guessing they just see something in the UK to delve this deep into it and consider building a park in the first place. Apart from international visitors and good transport links to the area I’m unsure what else they see but obviously they know more than we do obviously!

I’m guessing they just see something in the UK to delve this deep into it and consider building a park in the first place. Apart from international visitors and good transport links to the area I’m unsure what else they see but obviously they know more than we do obviously!
Universal is a popular and well known brand in the UK. Look at how many families spend a small fortune to get over to Florida just for Universal and Disney.

It also makes a big difference that the locals actually want this to happen. There is still a group of French that still resent DLP. You only have to look at the Trainwreck of those opening years to show how important local support is. Despite the governments best efforts, the UK is still a good place to invest.