• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

The article version is here:

For those who'd rather not spend the time looking at either, the possible location is Bedford.
Seems quite a sensible site and its right next to a rail line. The site was already earmarked for a business/ industrial park previously so planning should be far easier that London Resort. Really hope this happens

There's definitely something in this. Of course that doesn't mean that it is 100% going to happen as a lot can change between now and a spade going in to the ground, but Comcast aren't just doing all of this stuff to mess with people.

Those who seem to know stuff are also people who I consider trusted sources when it comes to Universal information.

As far as potential locations go, Bedford is a very sensible one. Well connected by both public transport and roads (The site at Kempston Hardwick is served directly by the Bedford-Bletchley line - one of the key parts of the upcoming East-West Rail - and the MML is also right next to it), plus it’s well out the way of any other real competition.

If that’s a genuine proposal then it seems to tick all the boxes.

This would be incredible if it does come to fruition. It would also likely give Merlin a kick up the backside to stop their “that’ll do” attitude as they’d finally have a large competitor in the UK.

Only about an hour from me too! And the location is a sensible distance from all the other major parks too.

2030 is so long though. An exciting prospect if it does materialise and hopefully if it is geared more towards Dark Ride experiences then my aging body will still be able to enjoy it.

Interestingly, as per the article, that site was actually one of 11 that was considered for the London Resort.
The irony is they would have had far less grief building here but they got greedy and thought central London would be a bigger money spinner.

Comcast isn't some tinpot company like London resort and you don't drop 270 million on land of your not going to do anything with it

This is very interesting so I wanted to run through my thoughts on it.

Firstly I agree with @Leigh that it's well connected and a good location, close enough to London to get the London visitors but far enough out that land and costs are nowhere near as bad.

Do I think it's likely to end up as a full blown theme park? Well I don't know, maybe but there are so many others uses they may go with, even with the Universal parks and resorts division of comcast. I mean they could have an escape room complex, a hotel, some kind of experience or likely still a water park. There are just so many options for what they may decide to do with this land. Or it could just be a clever tax job of some form.

I think there is too many variables and too little information to actually know in the remotest sense what they are doing. I have got a good feeling that we will see some kind of development however but whether it is a large scale theme park or whether they try with something smaller first, whether that be a smaller theme park or something else, I think there is hope. I do think going small to start off with is a sensible idea, particularly in this country.
Either way it's way more likely to actually be something than the London resort ever was. Furthermore, I'm pretty convinced we will see something relatively small for Universal to start off with otherwise it has no hope of actually getting permission.

So to summarise the new facts in the article/video, and a few other bits of my own as the website appears to keep going offline:
  • Universal have purchased a development company "Cloud Wing UK" which owns the former Kempston brickworks site in Bedfordshire . This is proven in the article by way of a Land Registry screenshot (referred to the land to the north east of Manor Road)
  • There's further land to the south (Stewartby brickworks) which Universal may have also purchased, but there's no proof of that in the article and is discussed as rumour of the potential land area.
  • The Stewartby works is mentioned in a BBC News article from June last year where it was pointed out that a plan for housing fell through as the purchase by Cloud Wing wasn't completed. I've no idea if this was later completed though
  • The land was previously for sale but was taken off sale in the middle of this year
  • It was one of the possible locations for London resort
It's a much more sensible location than in London with better transport links for sure. That said, they'll still no doubt face planning hiccups along the way. The surrounding villages will need convincing on the traffic front, as will the number of major warehouses around the area too (Argos, ASDA, Amazon and B&M). They'll want assurances that the shear amount of traffic arriving and leaving at similar times won't interfere with their operations.

I reckon it's more easily overcome in comparison to a Central London location though considering the proximity to a road network that's not on its backside like the Dartford Crossing is, not to mention the railway stations being in the heart of the potential area.

I do reckon having a company like Universal involved does add a much more realistic prospect of the project coming to fruition. However, I'd also equally argue that a company as big as Comcast can afford to stop progressing something if it's not going to work out further down the line. So, while it's great to excited about the potential for a new park, as I've pointed out before it's also important to remain grounded in the facts of where things are at the moment. We have domain names being registered, we have land being purchased, but that's it so far - both of which could easily just be dropped and sold for the original housing/industrial use further down the line. So there's potential there, but it's far, far away from any sort of official confirmation so far. So just like London Resort, I would say try not to get too carried away with specifics just yet.

And finally, a rumoured opening of 2030 sounds like a long way away. But, you've got to consider the planning hurdles this'll have to jump as well as site preparations and infrastructure improvements that will no doubt be needed before a spade is even put in the ground.

A quick note from a team point of view: This is no doubt going to be a LOT of interest in this, so there'll be a lot of websites and vloggers producing content relating to it. Please ensure that if you're posting content you follow our guidelines, but as a TL;DR please ensure:
  • That the information that's included in the video or article is new to discussion
  • That you summarise what's interesting within it to further discussion here on TowersStreet
  • That you add your own viewpoints in addition to posting the article/video
If the above isn't followed, the team will remove the post containing the video/website. Thanks in advance :).

*Possible Universal Park coming to England*

Me- Hmmmm....sounds exciting. Tell me more.

*Mention of possible LOTR attraction/s*

Me - Don't get excited. The park is only a rumour at this stage let alone which lands they'd go for.

*But you could potentially walk around the Shire, Rivendell or Mordor*

Me - And........ that's me now fully invested. Take my money. All my money. I will even move to Bedford, eliminate any people who try to oppose this plan and sell my kidneys to be there on opening weekend.

Only your kidneys?
Part timer.

Hahaha.

I'd genuinely be more annoying than all those sprogs in the Wizarding World if it happened. No issue for me being in my 40's whatsoever. Move out of the way kids. This one is for me!

LOTR was my Harry Potter growing up. It was the first book I ever read for pleasure and without any doubt still my favourite. The film are absolutely incredible too. 20 years on they are still not outdated at all.

This park won't end up happening though is my feeling. The bleeding do gooders will no doubt find some rare breed of badger or something as ridiculous. We aren't allowed nice things in the UK. Only rain, the Tories and misery apparently.

Considering the planning permission being granted previously for the business park, I don't think there's much of a chance of it being turned down on those grounds like London Resort was. The land was only cleared relatively recently, and a lot of it is still covered in the hard standing that held the buildings.

If the rumour of predominately indoor attractions is true, then noise shouldn't be too much of an issue. Traffic will be the main sticking point I think, but as mentioned it's a much smaller deal than it was at London Resort.

Yes, the planning system is an absolute effort in the UK, but things will get granted if they're done properly. My only concern that's reining in my excitement is that a company as huge as Universal/Comcast will likely have expansion goals and likely strict timelines in mind. If they slip too much as a result of planning issues, they're more than willing and able to walk away as a result.

It's a much more sensible location than in London with better transport links for sure. That said, they'll still no doubt face planning hiccups along the way. The surrounding villages will need convincing on the traffic front, as will the number of major warehouses around the area too (Argos, ASDA, Amazon and B&M). They'll want assurances that the shear amount of traffic arriving and leaving at similar times won't interfere with their operations.

I reckon it's more easily overcome in comparison to a Central London location though considering the proximity to a road network that's not on its backside like the Dartford Crossing is, not to mention the railway stations being in the heart of the potential area.

Hopefully the rail traffic will take a lot of pressure off the roads and persuade people to take public transport. It looks like Kempston Hardwick station is more or less right next to the site of the existing land, and that line is having a major boost in service and connections as far as Oxford and possibly Cambridge, regardless if Universal is happening or not.

The line as well is connected at Bedford from the likes of Sheffield, Nottingham and Leicester, and currently at the other end you have it connected at Bletchley which has links to Birmingham. If they can get some of the trains to call at Milton Keynes, which has been proposed, you'd have links from Manchester, Liverpool and even as far north as Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Ridiculously good site railway wise all things considered

I think as much as a good railway link reduces a small number of cars, much of the push about public transport in planning applications is all but lip service. Without going too off topic and go on about public transport costs in the UK, a family is much more likely to take the car than spend a fortune of time and money navigating the mess of the UK's rail network and travel end to end on public transport.

That said, being close to Milton Keynes, Bedford and the like could give them opportunity to have partial public transport with a park and ride or similar to try and mitigate things and take some pressure off the local road network. At least unlike London Resort, there's some actual breathing space on the roads already and you're not just adding more into a network already massively exceeding at capacity.

Hopefully the rail traffic will take a lot of pressure off the roads and persuade people to take public transport. It looks like Kempston Hardwick station is more or less right next to the site of the existing land, and that line is having a major boost in service and connections as far as Oxford and possibly Cambridge, regardless if Universal is happening or not.

The line as well is connected at Bedford from the likes of Sheffield, Nottingham and Leicester, and currently at the other end you have it connected at Bletchley which has links to Birmingham. If they can get some of the trains to call at Milton Keynes, which has been proposed, you'd have links from Manchester, Liverpool and even as far north as Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Ridiculously good site railway wise all things considered
The two (!) railway lines that will effectively run past this park are great. However, the only station that currently exists is (as you've mentioned) the Kempston Hardwick station, which is on the currently-underused line between Oxford and Cambridge. The new East-West rail will improve things I'm sure.

Ideally, you'd also be building a high-capacity station on the Midlands Mainline, near to Wixams, to serve the rail passengers arriving from the Midlands and London (and Luton Airport).