• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

Maybe we could get Pokemon, Galar region specifically!

Personally, I have my doubts whether you’d want to be opening any new Potter by 2030, if JKR’s trajectory continues as it has since 2020 we could be getting to very rocky and - importantly - financially risky territory

I’m guessing it won’t be long till the media pick up on it and start asking Universal for comment.

I know nothings finalised yet (that we know of anyway) but surely they must have a press release or something lined up soon been as stuffs being leaked now. Even if they say they’re “exploring” options?

I’m guessing it won’t be long till the media pick up on it and start asking Universal for comment.

I know nothings finalised yet (that we know of anyway) but surely they must have a press release or something lined up soon been as stuffs being leaked now. Even if they say they’re “exploring” options?
They like to stay quiet sometimes. Remember how long Velocicoaster was “we’re building a churros stand” ?

Crazy to hear these rumours considering I live in a village about 2.5 miles away. The mainline is very well connected. To the north from Bedford is well connected direct to Yorkshire and the East mids, and to the south without getting off the train it's connected to Luton Airport, Gatwick Airport and London St Pancras (Eurostar). In addition it's 10 mins away from the A1 and M1. And the new dual carriageway from the Black Cat roundabout to near Cambridge is being built. When I moved here from Milton Keynes 7 years ago I thought the land along the A421 was perfect for all sorts of investment, but never thought a Universal park would enter the conversation.

An hour outside of London on a train (see RER Red line from Paris to DLP)

Location that’s currently brownfield with tall structures nearby.

But as we all know the British planning system is a complicated beast so until it’s confirmed I’m counting no chickens.

Finally Merlin are about to realise who actually is second to Disney. This would be right on Thorpes doorstep and a huge draw for the UK
If all the attractions are unique.

I’d love to see this light a fire in the new CEO and second gate announced for Alton on their existing car parks.

But I’m not holding my breath

Even building studios seems unlikely to me. Most of them in this country are being closed and replaced with luxury bloody flats. No one is making studio based shows any more.

I still won’t believe a word of this until it’s actually open.
Am I misinterpreting what kind of studios you're talking about here? We have some of the biggest film studios in the world and we're building dozens more currently.

Crazy to hear these rumours considering I live in a village about 2.5 miles away. The mainline is very well connected. To the north from Bedford is well connected direct to Yorkshire and the East mids, and to the south without getting off the train it's connected to Luton Airport, Gatwick Airport and London St Pancras (Eurostar). In addition it's 10 mins away from the A1 and M1. And the new dual carriageway from the Black Cat roundabout to near Cambridge is being built. When I moved here from Milton Keynes 7 years ago I thought the land along the A421 was perfect for all sorts of investment, but never thought a Universal park would enter the conversation.

I'd say it's not far off being the perfect location really if anything this size was to get off the ground and actually happen in the UK. Given the nearby motorways and distance from London.
Far better than the site for the London Resort was for sure.

Lots of other things to weigh up though other than transportation links of course, although that's one of the big ones for sure.

Hopefully the local people get behind it but I think it's pretty much inevitable there will be huge objections. There always are for something like this.

They should wear the Union Jack over this imaginary park with pride.

They could call it 'Universal's Brexit Resort'. At the entrance, they'll be a bronze statue of Nigel Farage, next to a post box, red telephone booth, and a bus with a big lie painted on the side of it (something like "planning permission for this park was a breeze'), driven by Pinnochio with his nose protruding through the windscreen.

They could have a dark ride where you venture into the depraved depths of the country. One scene could be set at a Downing Street Christmas party during Covid, with smoke effects simulating the cocaine usage, water effects simulating vomit up the walls, and a model of Hancock snogging his floozy, complete with moving groping hands. Another scene shows an animatronic Charlie counting his money before throwing a broken pen at his wife.

There could also be a Splash Battle where you fire your pistol at boats of asylum seekers crossing the channel. A rollercoaster themed to the UK economy that goes up the lift hill, down a big drop, and then just flat lines for ages all the way to the brake run. Queues are themed to NHS waiting lists and Fast Tracks are branded as 'Go Private' vouchers. A Runaway Mine Train that's always closed because the ride ops are on strike.

So many possibilities for Universal here, why has no theme park operator thought to do this yet?

Liverpool are currently building a huge new film studios on the old Littlewoods site. Anyone familiar with the area will know that the building is very unique and actually brilliant piece of architecture. It's been abandoned almost 20 years now. Such a shame.

Looks like a clone of Hulk at the top

mr bean GIF
Yes it is. The other coaster stretching from the centre to the right-hand side of the image is a Starfall Racers clone. While both of those would be great, I hope there will be some original stuff too.

Yes it is. The other coaster stretching from the centre to the right-hand side of the image is a Starfall Racers clone. While both of those would be great, I hope there will be some original stuff too.

A Hulk Clone would actually be quite boring for me. It's been cloned already once and it's hardly groundbreaking these days either.

A Hulk Clone would actually be quite boring for me. It's been cloned already once and it's hardly groundbreaking these days either.
That is true, although, while I and i'm sure most other enthusiasts would prefer something more like VelociCoaster, or the Fast & Furious Coaster coming to Universal Hollywood, i'd settle for a Hulk clone. I can't see all the Marvel stuff being part of USGB so will probably get the Transformers version when it comes to the theming.

Trust me, there is almost no TV studio work available in this country right now. The film side of things has been ruined by the various American strikes. And all these “lets build a studio somewhere outside London” projects inevitably fail, they are too remote and stars don’t want to travel there.
(Fun fact by the way: Pinewood refuse to employ anyone who lives within the M25.)

This is going to be a loooooong closed season.

They can't build anything Harry Potter related straight away, they need to build something brilliant first that they can then tear down to install something HP themed and inferior in every single way.

The park will have more Union flags than an EDL rally and the cost of parking will be same as the entrance fee to Alton Towers.

For me the Midlands seems a better choice. Great motorway connections, and airport connections. Somewhere say Coventry way? Cheaper land as well.

I would tend to agree. However, they'll probably be wanting to market it as being easier to get to for international visitors who are visiting London, or something like that. I don't really know a lot about these things though. I'm just glad that we wouldn't have to venture anywhere too close to London itself because that always seems to be a major pain in various ways.

Trust me, there is almost no TV studio work available in this country right now. The film side of things has been ruined by the various American strikes. And all these “lets build a studio somewhere outside London” projects inevitably fail, they are too remote and stars don’t want to travel there.
(Fun fact by the way: Pinewood refuse to employ anyone who lives within the M25.)

This is going to be a loooooong closed season.
I know you have more experience in this industry than me, but that's the opposite from what I've been hearing, and I'd be curious to know more.

I thought the American strikes were pushing more work here as the UK is seen as a safer option? Also the massive Shinfield studios is just about to open near Reading. Relative to this project it's about the same distance away from London and also on a major road corridor.

I can belive the TV and Film industry is moving out of London, but the studios around London seem to be rapidly growing (from an outsiders perspective at least).