• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

I’d imagine being able to announced a foreign investment of several billion pounds which will create tens of thousands of long term jobs is the attraction.
But then all the other parties just say they'll be backing the scheme as well.

From the initial press reports it seems that the 3 major UK parties representatives in the area have all welcomed the proposal from Universal.

Probably wandering too far on the political angle right now, but the election (and the local ones!) are far too close for any party to solely benefit from this and therefore use it as an election pledge. If it's an external company, everyone is likely to be on board with it anyway. If government money is involved, the Tories can't promise it as they're unlikely to be in power and it's unlikely to even resonate amongst their voter base. Labour can't as they've not even been given permission to talk with the Civil Service in relation to the administration of the country yet, so have no idea if it's even realistically affordable for any sort of money.

As mentioned, there has been a positive response from major parties in the area, but there was also a lot of caution likely depending on what's put through on the planning front and the detail that accompanies it - they're walking a tightrope between support and potentially having to oppose elements of it on behalf of constituents in future. I don't see how any party would be using this to help their election chances considering the lack of information on the project and the relatively limited appeal of it to the wider voting public so far.

Imagine if the reason someone voted for a particular political party was because they supported a theme park being built.

Democracy just doesn't work. [/Ken Brockman]

The current road network at Junction 13 would require navigating 2 roundabouts to get onto the A421 and 3(!) to leave to go back south and 2 for north.

You navigate 1 roundabout to go south from the A421. Not that it matters because you're right, the junction often experiences tailbacks during moderate to heavy traffic. They've recently amended where the A421's sliproad meets Salford Road - now traffic coming off the A421 doesn't have to give way to traffic on Salford Road - not that it matters because there is no traffic on Salford Road.

Whoever designed the junction is deranged - it's not even that old.

They'd have to build a dedicated junction for Universal on the A421. The two nearest junctions are the one at Marston and the one by the ASDA distribution centre that intersects the A6.

There is a road (Bedford Road) that runs adjacent to the A421 that connects these two junctions and travels all the way to the M1 - this was the old A421 (before the dual carriage way was constructed) - this road provides access to most of the villages in the area (Stewartby, Marston, Wootton) and others use it as a cut through to get to Houghton Conquest, Wixams, Wilstead etc. At Marston, they've built housing estates directly on this road. I can't see Bedford Road being repurposed as an access road for Universal due the aforementioned reasons, and because the A6 junction on the A421 would have to be used. This junction is a nightmare during rushhour as the A6 routinely experiences tailbacks because it hasn't got the necessary capacity to deal with rush hour demand.

Continuing with the SABRE-esque theme, there is currently a road closure on Manor Road (the one running across the middle of the site) where Network Rail are "Undertaking boreholes and site survey for future level crossing removal and bridge construction".
Probably a complete coincidence, but maybe its a sign that the wheels are already in motion for infrastructure upgrades for this project? It would be very inconvenient to have a level crossing near the entrance to the resort, so it'd make sense that Universal would be keen to have it removed.

Attachments

• temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 49
Continuing with the SABRE-esque theme, there is currently a road closure on Manor Road (the one running across the middle of the site) where Network Rail are "Undertaking boreholes and site survey for future level crossing removal and bridge construction".
Probably a complete coincidence, but maybe its a sign that the wheels are already in motion for infrastructure upgrades for this project? It would be very inconvenient to have a level crossing near the entrance to the resort, so it'd make sense that Universal would be keen to have it removed.
I'm local and didn't notice. Great find! Definitely linked to Universal, they wouldn't invest in a bridge on that road for no other reason.

Theme Park WorldWide are travelling around the UAE at the moment. I really hope these parks are the blueprint for Universal UK with the majority of attractions housed within gigantic mall type buildings, just seems a no-brainer for operating a 365 park in the UK. The theming at most of them is incredible too and they got knocked up in a couple of years once construction started (optimistic for the UK i appreciate).

There’s too much infrastructure work going on in the area for it to be a coincidence.

I’m convinced the government, both local and national, are heavily involved in this project and have been for some time. They’ve just done remarkably well to keep it quiet until recently.

Theme Park WorldWide are travelling around the UAE at the moment. I really hope these parks are the blueprint for Universal UK with the majority of attractions housed within gigantic mall type buildings, just seems a no-brainer for operating a 365 park in the UK. The theming at most of them is incredible too and they got knocked up in a couple of years once construction started (optimistic for the UK i appreciate).
You can achieve wonders with modern slavery.

You don't need parts of a park indoors. In my opinion anyway. Plenty of indoor attractions with indoor queueing, would be enough for year round opening.

Agreed. I’m not a huge fan of the parks in Dubai with huge warehouse boxes with entire areas indoors, however I understand why it’s done there.

But for the UK I would rather they went with the DLP approach of keeping the themed areas outdoors but with plenty of indoor rides and indoor/covered queues and walk throughs to deal with the colder days.

The rain at the UK is not that powerful anyways to close any ride is it? Most of the time it’s just light showers.

Here in Spain it doesn’t rain very often but when it does it rains hard. The majority of rides at Port Aventura have to close when there’s heavy rain.

The rain at the UK is not that powerful anyways to close any ride is it? Most of the time it’s just light showers.

Here in Spain it doesn’t rain very often but when it does it rains hard. The majority of rides at Port Aventura have to close when there’s heavy rain.
It’s miserable AF standing in an open air 60+ queue in wet winter though isn’t it. Covered queues would go a long way to mitigating that misery along with a few indoor spaces to hide from rain/warm up in

If they’re planning on opening it anything like 365 days a year then a good amount of indoor attractions is essential, the current temperature is evidence enough of that.

Agreed. I’m not a huge fan of the parks in Dubai with huge warehouse boxes with entire areas indoors, however I understand why it’s done there.

But for the UK I would rather they went with the DLP approach of keeping the themed areas outdoors but with plenty of indoor rides and indoor/covered queues and walk throughs to deal with the colder days.

Yeah, in retrospect i definitely agree with your latter point, DLP is the best of both worlds.

Though i do feel that makes for a more challenging park in terms of maintenance versus an all indoors one. But i suppose Universal, like Disney, have the resources to overcome that.

There's probably a good middle ground with something like IMG Worlds of Adventure with a mix of outdoor areas and indoor themed zones that house both rides and facilities.

Whilst the weather isn't too extreme in the UK, it can still create lost days and creating a park from scratch that negates that as much as possible seems prudent and a big advantage over your competitors.

Yeah, in retrospect i definitely agree with your latter point, DLP is the best of both worlds
Talking DLP, I have been hearing general speculation that there will be a 'ramping up' or acceleration of investment in the park over the years on the run-up to Universal's potential park opening to counter any perceived 'threat'.... which can only be a good thing. DLP is a wonderful park, but investment has been lacking.

It would be an interesting situation if the contracted "third gate" progresses at the same speed as the Universal plans. Someone speculated the third gate could. A [good] Pixar Park, or a fully fledged Star Wars park opening within a few years of Universal could be fun and a real game changer.